Jail time for WHAT?

PDA

ctdonath
April 24, 2004, 08:37 PM
Thread 'Low-rider' jeans ban (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78499) observes an idiot lawmaker wants to make exposing underwear (even an innocent "oops" when a hot babe bends over) punishable by 6 months in jail. That got me thinking about other stupid laws that punish really petty, even innocent, behavior with non-trivial jail time (not that any jail time is trivial).

One on-the-books - very literally! - case is in Syracuse NY: most books in the public library are stamped with a legal punishment for overdue library books ... 30 days in jail!

I want to hear about other cases of laws giving jail time - preferably a month or more - to really minor infractions. Oddly, let's not include gun-related laws. We're already very familiar with such cases. Let's see how far our governments go to "rule innocent men" with a plethora of practically unavoidable lawbreaking.

"Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We *want* them broken. You'd better get it straight That it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against– then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."
- Ayn Rand, _Atlas Shrugged , Ch. III, "White Blackmail" (Dr. Ferris)

If you enjoyed reading about "Jail time for WHAT?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff White
April 24, 2004, 08:43 PM
I posted a thread here awhile back on a proposed law in Missouri that would make possesion of a glass beverage container on a waterway a misdemeanor. It's a new trend....makes the legislature look tough.

Jeff

Watchman
April 24, 2004, 09:01 PM
No law can make a legislator look tough...

I know several of them...

I think they're all wimps...:scrutiny:

(Art's grammaw was here.)

TXBera
April 24, 2004, 10:08 PM
Jeff, last time I was in New Braunfels, TX, they had posted signs banning glass containers on or around the river.

That was because you didn't want to step on broken glass in the water, might split your foot wide open.

I don't know why Missouri would want to do it other than the stated reasons. I doubt it's because of the alcohol aspect, you can still get your beverages in cans or plastic bottles.:scrutiny:

7.62FullMetalJacket
April 24, 2004, 10:45 PM
Ayn Rand predicted it and it has come. Every day you wake up you will break one law or another. Me thinks one would go crazy trying to know all of the laws and obey them (or would you be crazy for obeying all of them?). We elect the legislative creatures and we can un-elect them.

Standing Wolf
April 24, 2004, 11:11 PM
So many elected misrepresentatives! So little actual work for them!

ctdonath
April 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
Any specific cases?

gyp_c2
April 24, 2004, 11:35 PM
http://www.ctnow.com/news/local/hc-gooddeed0422.artapr22,0,5233805.story

http://mindscraps.com/s/otn/other/bandit.gif

bedlamite
April 25, 2004, 04:12 PM
http://www.dumblaws.com/

In Wisconsin:
# It is a class A misdemeanor to wave a burning torch around in the air.
# Livestock have the right-of-way on public roads.
# As people used to smuggle it in from Illinois, all yellow butter substitute is banned.

Mr. Kook
April 25, 2004, 10:36 PM
Last semester the city of Manhattan Kansas passed a law prohibiting the exposure of the anal cleft or anal cleavage within the city limits. It also banned competitions and events that showed people in various states of undress, basically banned strip clubs, wet t-shirt contests, Hot Bod contests, and other things.

To top it all off it is now a crime for a man to have an erection in a public area. Before you say it is inappropriate just remember it isn't entirely controllable (remember the bus vibrations when you still rode to school).

All of this is punishable by a $500 fine and/or up to six months in jail.

Naturally I find the law completely absurd and would love to see it taken to the state supreme court or higher.

P95Carry
April 25, 2004, 10:49 PM
''PC'' society seems to to become ever more absurd. Thing is ... how in heck do these people ever get to be allowed to make such assinine laws in the first place. They mostly defy common sense.:banghead:

Jrob24
April 25, 2004, 11:18 PM
Halifax banned fragrences in public places

http://www.geocities.com/doireanne/nonscentssong.html

P95Carry
April 25, 2004, 11:36 PM
Halifax banned fragrences in public places Well ...... I guess that has to be up there amongst the candidates for the ''all-time crazy'' prize.!! Sheesh! :rolleyes: :D

Zundfolge
April 25, 2004, 11:44 PM
To top it all off it is now a crime for a man to have an erection in a public area. Before you say it is inappropriate just remember it isn't entirely controllable (remember the bus vibrations when you still rode to school).

All of this is punishable by a $500 fine and/or up to six months in jail.

And you'll probably get to spend the next 10 years of your life as a registered sex offender ... many states will give you that for things like urinating in public.

Elmer Snerd
April 26, 2004, 01:22 PM
Here is a story (http://www.injusticeline.com/perjury.html) about a man who was nailed for perjury for telling the truth.

HBK
April 26, 2004, 03:14 PM
Maybe the time has come to throw out all the laws and make new ones, just not as many.

R.H. Lee
April 26, 2004, 05:05 PM
Last semester the city of Manhattan Kansas passed a law prohibiting the exposure of the anal cleft or anal cleavage within the city limits.

Wasn't this opposed by the plumber's union?

Where does "cleft" end and "cleavage" begin?

Are these legislators Taliban?

El Tejon
April 26, 2004, 05:13 PM
Just what we need another excuse for coppers to leer at young women.:D

While it do increase the training budget, more laws, less justice.:(

The_Antibubba
April 26, 2004, 11:08 PM
Please tell me that case is being appealed the SCOTUS. That is too stupid to believe. :uhoh:

7.62FullMetalJacket
April 26, 2004, 11:15 PM
Elmer

I think that has to be the most depressing thing I have read in quite a while. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Jail time for WHAT?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!