10/22 barrel length?

PDA

bikemutt
October 21, 2015, 07:20 PM
I'm planning a precision barrel replacement for my 10/22, choice is between a 16" and 18". I know this has been beat all to heck on the Internet but many threads are dated or devolve into other issues.

I don't care about weight or balance, this a range rifle, any thoughts from THR folks?

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 barrel length?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
easy
October 21, 2015, 08:46 PM
For a range rifle, ever consider a 20"? I believe Green Mountain has them for a fair price.

jmr40
October 22, 2015, 06:10 AM
I don't care about weight or balance, this a range rifle, any thoughts from THR folks?

Weight, balance and looks are the only factors to consider. With a 22 RF there isn't enough difference in velocity between a 16" barrel up to a 22" barrel to really be a consideration. It comes down to which you think looks best, how much weight you want, and how it balances.

It comes down to the barrel thickness. To me the really heavy barrels are just too muzzle heavy at 20" and I like 18" better based mostly on looks and balance although 16" isn't bad. On a medium contour barrel a little more length balances things out.

In the end it is really personal preference. There are really no practical differences.

bikemutt
October 22, 2015, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, I went with the 18" bull barrel.

bannockburn
October 22, 2015, 09:38 AM
I have always liked the 18" barrel length as having the best overall feel and balance to it.

Lloyd Smale
October 23, 2015, 09:06 AM
I like a 16 but then I run a suppressor on the end of a couple of them. Balances nice with the forward weight of a suppressor and the short barrel keeps some borderline ammo sub sonic. The couple I have that aren't threaded have factory 18s and that's just fine for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 barrel length?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!