Out with the old, In with the new

PDA

Morrey
November 9, 2015, 10:47 AM
For many years I used my Browning A Bolt with BOSS muzzle tuner. I'd say this gun was ok accuracy wise, but the BOSS darn near made me think I needed hearing aids. Even with ear plugs, the report got so bad I finally went to my local gunsmith and had him remove the BOSS and make me a thread protector that was the right length to cover the threads w/o extending 3" like the old system did. Problem is that this changed the barrel harmonics and my accuracy went out the window. Even with lots of load development experimentation, I was never really satisfied with this gun nor it's accuracy potential.

I finally decided to move forward with a new gun and bought a Cooper Model 52 .30-06. This respected gun is guaranteed to give 1/2 minute of angle accuracy at 100 yards with the proper load. They test the gun at Cooper and send test targets. I am assured the gun can do it's job if I can do my job as a hand loader and shooter.

My question is how other Browning BOSS owners feel about their guns? Browning has a great reputation for fit and finish, but I personally feel this system let me down. Maybe it was a good idea on the drawing board but poor in reality.

If you enjoyed reading about "Out with the old, In with the new" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MistWolf
November 9, 2015, 12:19 PM
Browning also offered non-ported BOSS tuners

CB900F
November 9, 2015, 08:57 PM
Morrey;

Yup, Browning or Winchester, same system & same option for ported or non-ported tuner. If I 'members correctly, you'd want the BOSS-CR. It's the closed chamber version.

900F

jmr40
November 9, 2015, 09:01 PM
I'd have had the smith simply cut it off and re-crown the muzzle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Out with the old, In with the new" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!