Folding knife washers, screw and blade replacement

PDA

Hypermole
November 15, 2015, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know of a place to get these other than the knife manufactures?

If you enjoyed reading about "Folding knife washers, screw and blade replacement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
November 15, 2015, 09:57 PM
Which knife?

rcmodel
November 15, 2015, 10:14 PM
This company sells a lot of common parts.
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php

But, most folders are made up of proprietary parts you can't get exact matches from anywhere else.

And certainly not the blades themselves.

All reputable knife companies offer excellent service, and free parts when needed.

All you have to do is contact them and tell them what you need.

rc

hso
November 15, 2015, 11:25 PM
Hypermole,

What are you trying to do, build a new knife?

Hypermole
November 15, 2015, 11:47 PM
Cold Steel and I'm just trying to repair a few they could or would not.

rcmodel
November 15, 2015, 11:55 PM
Cold Steels 30 day warranty does leave much to be desired.

Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, and most other reputable U.S. companies would have already taken care of your needs.
One way or another.

rc

Hypermole
November 15, 2015, 11:59 PM
That's very correct and why I'm trying to fix them myself.

rcmodel
November 16, 2015, 12:06 AM
Well, you are SOL on getting replacement blades from anyone but a custom knife maker.
And they would cost more then 4 Cold Steel knives!

Sometimes, it's just time to cut your losses and move on.

rc

hso
November 16, 2015, 12:31 AM
Screws and clips are easy from Knifekits, but blades aren't going to be easy.

rcmodel
November 16, 2015, 12:46 AM
Post pics of the damaged blades.

First aid might be available if we had any idea what degree of damage you are talking about.

rc

Hypermole
November 16, 2015, 02:00 AM
I hope these show the condition of the blade.

rcmodel
November 16, 2015, 03:19 AM
I'm not seeing any problem, other then normal small scratches from normal use.

Do you want them to look factory fresh new, or what??

rc

hso
November 16, 2015, 08:13 AM
I'm with RC, what's wrong with the blade?

Hypermole
November 16, 2015, 03:38 PM
I would like to polish out the blade if possible. It's hard to tell from the pictures how mucked up the blade really is.

hso
November 16, 2015, 03:42 PM
Ohhhhh...you're going to have to work up some sort of way to hold it and a bench wheel with various rouges.

RC will provide good advice on it, but I'd get a couple of billets of aluminum and run bolts through the pivot and on each side to stop rotation in a sandwich so you have something to hold onto.

Hypermole
November 16, 2015, 03:53 PM
Yes, This is what the blade should look like.

rcmodel
November 16, 2015, 04:05 PM
Its bead blasted, not polished.

Any machine shop or engine shop should be able to bead blast it at reasonable cost.
That will cover the scratches quite nicely

rc

hso
November 16, 2015, 06:06 PM
This is what the blade should look like.

Any machine shop or engine shop should be able to bead blast it at reasonable cost.

Yup. You're not gonna be able to do it even if you had the equipment since it takes practice to get a nice even surface with a bead blaster.

Hypermole
November 16, 2015, 07:58 PM
When you say "bead blast" Is that the same as sandblasting?

Thanks

hso
November 16, 2015, 08:17 PM
No

Grit blasting erodes and pits. Bead blasting with glass or ceramic or even plastic "dimples" or textures like very fine and smooth mini hammer marks.

Hypermole
November 16, 2015, 09:46 PM
Thanks Again

Unfortunately since I became disabled I have no idea where to have this done. I use to work at a manufacturing plant as a Journeyman Electronic Technician and had access to the tool room but they closed it down when NAFTA went thru and sent all the jobs to Mexico.

I was thinking it would be sweet to have a 3d printer and make one out of
S30V or CTS XHP !!

Here are a few pictures of what someone was able to have done with this discontinued model. I talked to Cold Steel and they cannot replace the knife or blade as all Ultra Locks have been discontinued.

Thanks Again

hso
November 16, 2015, 10:32 PM
I was thinking it would be sweet to have a 3d printer and make one out of
S30V or CTS XHP

Unfortunately you can't print those metals, yet (probably never). You could use a table top 3D mill, though.

Looks like the guy milled stainless slabs for the handles on that. Heavy, but looks good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Folding knife washers, screw and blade replacement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!