Gold Cup sight pictures?

PDA

bosshoff
April 29, 2004, 09:04 AM
I have a stainless Gold Cup with the awful stock Elliason sights. My front staked sight is loose, and the rear is sharp as ever. I am intested in getting the following done: I would like a complete "carry bevel" performed on my "Ginsu-knife" sharp Gold-Cup. I am considering having a Wilson Adjustable rear sight installed by the Wilson Combat shop. I am also thinking of having a dovetail ramped sight installed in the front. Wilson does not offer a ramped front, so I will probably order something from Brownells. Any recomendations? Kings, Novak, etc.? I am trying to picture what the front sight will look like cut in with a dovetail in regards to the flat rib ion the top of the slide. I hate this "feature" of my Gold Cup. This is just my personal opinion, but I like the rounded-style tops on 1911's. Has anyone had this rib machined off? I would think the front sights might look a bit cleaner having his done. Please don't reply that I should start over, sell the gun and buy a Milspec. I love this gun, I just want to personalize it a bit to my tastes. If someone has pictures of any Wilson adjustable sights installed on a Gold Cup, I'd love you to post them so I could get a better idea of what the end result will be like. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gold Cup sight pictures?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45auto
April 29, 2004, 09:21 AM
I've seen a picture of a Gold Cup with the rib removed and seen others with the rib "reduced" so I'd say that it can be done, I just don't know who would do it. I would check some gunsmith websites and give them a call. I'll bet you find someone that can do it properly(key word).
If you do that, you might as well go with a Bo-mar sight.

If cost is an issue and you don't remove the rib, Millet makes a drop in that "I think" has "rounder" edges. Use a solid pin instead of a roll pin and it shouldn't fly off. The front sight can be properly staked in by a competent gunsmith so it doesn't loosen up...if you don't want a dovetail. My Gold Cup has over 20,000 rounds with a "properly" staked in sight.

I don't care for the flat rib on mine either. :)

Dave Sample
April 29, 2004, 03:48 PM
I would use the Millet as I have done for many years. I never let a Gold Cup leave here without a new front sight and a Millet rear. I like the MGW stake in front sight for the 'Cup's and it makes for a nice sight picture. Gold Cup front sights are very hard to come by.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gold Cup sight pictures?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!