Eddystone P17 barrel

PDA

Hutch
April 30, 2004, 09:54 AM
I had this in the Rifle forum, but thought it might get more response here.

I picked up a P17 Eddystone that looks pretty good externally, but the bore is pitted. I knew that when I bought it, but I hoped it might shoot acceptably well. Wrong-o. I've tried USGI M2 ball, and several handloads, all this after giving the barrel a complete scrubbing w/ several different products, including JB bore paste and Sweet's 7.62. No joy. Won't hold any better'n about 4-5 inches at 25 (!) yards. I've got no leads on repl barrels for it. I'm at a loss, and I'm not willing to double my "investment" in the gun to get a decent (~2-3 MOA) shooter. The only thing that occurs to me to do is to sell it to someone I don't like. Any other suggestions?

Note added here. I understand this rifle is all original as issued, but is missing some sling swivels, easily replaced. Would it be more intrinsically valuable as-is, or with a replacement barrel that one could actually hit a bard with, at reasonable ranges?

If you enjoyed reading about "Eddystone P17 barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
critter
April 30, 2004, 10:57 AM
A 'looking good' M17 is quite sale-able even if it won't shoot if it is origianal or can be made 'origian' by putting back a few parts.

Just a thought. Have you tried really heavy (therefore long) bullets? Some old and worn and even pitted barrels respond to long bullets with long bearing surfaces.

Hutch
April 30, 2004, 11:36 AM
I'll try the long bullets. I have some factory 180gr round-nose, and they'll have about as long bearing surface as I'm likely to find. Thanks for the tip.

ken grant
May 3, 2004, 09:25 PM
All 1917's had oversized barrels for 30/06 as did the Remington sporters made from the same actions and barrels.
They ran from .311 to as much as .314-----{SLUG YOUR BORE}!!!!!!

When they changed from .303 P14's to 30/06 P17's, they used the same barrels.

If you enjoyed reading about "Eddystone P17 barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!