Wow. That was ugly.

PDA

Derek Zeanah
May 3, 2004, 08:32 AM
Well, the good news is that the board is back up, just about where we left it (applied newest software that's not vB 3). We're running on new hard drives, have a new operating system, and everything seems fine.

The bad news is that the upgrade to vB 3 blew up somewhere, and we're getting help with it. What this means is that we're going to experience the upgrade at least one more time in the future; if we're good though, we can get everything worked out on a test box first and keep the upgrade time to about 2 hours.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Welcome back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wow. That was ugly." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cordex
May 3, 2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the work you put into this place, Derek.

I can empathize. Have had server issues of my own of late.

sm
May 3, 2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks Derek for all you do

Steve

mtnbkr
May 3, 2004, 10:20 AM
Has any site been able to upgrade to version 3 without severe problems? I haven't looked at it as an admin, but from my perspective, it doesn't look like it's ready for production. I hope you guys get some needed functionality on the administrative side because as a user, I'm not overly impressed with the new version. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you stayed with the current system (I understand that tech support can evaporate for older versions).

Chris

Mal H
May 3, 2004, 11:21 AM
IOW, IIABDFI.

I haven't heard of anyone installing V3 without major headaches either. Derek, maybe we should wait for V3.1?

P95Carry
May 3, 2004, 11:26 AM
Derek ..... I've been there with upgrades re admin stuff ..... it's stressful to say the least. Thx for all your hard work.

I am not thus far a fan of V3 at all ... can't say the ''gizzmo's'' do much for me .... and it does seem like that upgrade is about as friendly as a nest of rattlers! Up to a point I favor ... ''if it ain't broke ..........''

However ..... as I think you know .. you have our support. Thx again.:)

Ringer
May 3, 2004, 11:27 AM
Posting the MOP on the webpage and updating status throughout the upgrade was cool and appreciated.

Thanks!

mtnbkr
May 3, 2004, 11:34 AM
IIABDFI
:confused:

Posting the MOP on the webpage and updating status throughout the upgrade was cool and appreciated.
I agree, that was a nice touch.

Chris

Harry Tuttle
May 3, 2004, 12:02 PM
automags.org made the transition:
http://www.automags.org/forums/

Derek Zeanah
May 3, 2004, 12:55 PM
I think the big advantages are as follows: We can move attachments to the local filesystem , and take them out of the database. = better performance.
Attachments will now have small preview images, so you can tell at a glance whether you want to see the whole attachment or not.
Multiple attachments per post.
We can get away from using vB for searching and instead use MySQL 4's built in features. This means if you want to search for "Glock 23," it will let you. Not just thisword AND thatword as long as it's 3 chars or longer, but real honest-to-God fulltext searching.
Security updates. Gotta stay on top of 'em. ;)
Optimized code = lower requirements for serving data.
Threaded views of forums to keep discussions easy to follow.
A WYSIWYG editor. Click the B for bold, etc.
Overall, I think we will end up making the transition. I just hope we can do it in a way that keeps the feel of the current forum.

Mal H
May 3, 2004, 02:14 PM
Derek, thanks for the upgrade listing. Looks like some very useful features.

Chris - IIABDFI = If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

LawDog
May 3, 2004, 02:57 PM
Has any site been able to upgrade to version 3 without severe problems?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rich update the old The Firing Line (www.thefiringline.com) to version 3 here fairly recently?

Ian.

Mal H
May 3, 2004, 03:08 PM
Yes, and he had a good bit of trouble doing it.

Rich Lucibella
May 3, 2004, 03:27 PM
Yes, but I finally got it right when I changed to my fallback motto:
Never use a keyboard when there's a crowbar at hand! ;)

Our biggest problem was that we kept running out of disk space in the partition...wanted to run vB2 and vB3 parallel until I got all the styles tweaked. That turned out not to be possible. We did run into the same type error as Derek on the upgrade, but on second pass it went thru.

Ghosts in the Machine. There's always Ghosts in the Machine.
Rich

WhoKnowsWho
May 3, 2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the update, hope the second attempt works better!

Good luck!

Sodbuster
May 3, 2004, 08:55 PM
Security updates. Gotta stay on top of 'em
Do we all get clearances? :D Thanks for the effort put forth, Derek. And Oleg. And... others?? Hi, Rich!!

BigG
May 4, 2004, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all you do, guys! :)

Leatherneck
May 4, 2004, 10:41 AM
Let me add to the chorus of "Thanks!" I can't begin to describe the momentary panic attack I had when I logged on and THR was down. Bad JuJu. :D
But I'm NOT an addict! :D

TC
TFL Survivor

tcdrennen
May 4, 2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks Derek et al. - the running update page was a great idea; kept the panic level down! :D

We'll be patient about the upgrade when and if, too.

Sure we will. Really! :scrutiny: :rolleyes: :evil:

OF
May 4, 2004, 10:57 AM
the running update page was a great idea; kept the panic level down!Agreed. That was way cool. And it let us feel like we were right there with you man! Bothering you, offering unsolicited bad advice, kicking the plug out of the wall by accident...finding leftover parts after the thing is all put back together...you didn't need this did you?

- Gabe :)

Balog
May 6, 2004, 05:54 AM
I tremendously appreciate the effort you've put into this Derek. The running update A. a stroke of genius and B. greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wow. That was ugly." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!