So who went elsewhere for their discussion fix?

PDA

WhoKnowsWho
May 3, 2004, 04:06 PM
Just wondering, 'cause I think I got the shakes from High Road withdrawl... actually went and looked at a few other sites and, gosh, posted once or twice!

If you enjoyed reading about "So who went elsewhere for their discussion fix?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Baba Louie
May 3, 2004, 04:25 PM
I noticed that both GlockTalk and the 1911Forum had a few more viewers than normal Sat and Sun in particular. Ask me how I knew? Nah, you can figure it out.

I gotta do what ich said when he killed TFL and get away from the darned compuer more often. Maybe go out and shoot some more. (What a concept)

LiquidTension
May 3, 2004, 04:29 PM
No, I just weathered my withdrawal pains like a man.

Chuck Jennings
May 3, 2004, 04:29 PM
The calguns forum had ALOT more participation than I have seen before.

lee n. field
May 3, 2004, 04:32 PM
Rugerforum and CZ Forum.

I did better than that, though. I found a nearby gun club.

I tagged along with my Boy Scout son on a troop outing. Ostensibly they were going to do a rifle merit badge. In fact it was their (http://tcgc.net/) open house. Multiple pistol ranges, a rifle range with berms out to 200 yards and a shotgun (yawn) range. Lots of demos, free ammo for the blasting. A good time was had by all. Didn't hear how the merit badge thing went, but my boy got to shoot an UZI.

That's better than being indoors staring at some screen, any day.

Valkman
May 3, 2004, 04:36 PM
It was 1911 Forums and Parallax Bill's C&R Forums for me. It's kind of funny because I use to go to 1911 Forums much more than here, then when they were down for a weekend it made me spend alot of time here. Since then I'm about evenly divided on the two boards, but since my first C&R purchases are coming the C&R forums get hit alot too. :)

Hkmp5sd
May 3, 2004, 04:44 PM
I just toughed it out and scanned old copies of Shotgun News that are scattered around the house. I'm not one that favors using generic products when the real thing is empty. :)

4v50 Gary
May 3, 2004, 04:49 PM
Off line & about 500 miles away from home hiding in Oregon for the Oregon Gun Builders' Fair. Will be writing an article for submission to Muzzle Blasts.

para.2
May 3, 2004, 05:15 PM
There are other forums?!?:eek: :confused: :what: :scrutiny:

jacketch
May 3, 2004, 05:23 PM
I couldn't get WarriorTalkForum either and now SigForum is down too.

bluecowdawg
May 3, 2004, 05:37 PM
i am a regular at 1911forum.com and i also go to shootersforum.com those two and the high road are al i really need . very informative

WonderNine
May 3, 2004, 05:37 PM
I was on Glocktalk a little bit Sunday, it didn't take me long to remember why I never post there. :rolleyes:

CrudeGT
May 3, 2004, 05:45 PM
because of the filters that are installed on my work computer, most of the other forums are blocked, like glocktalk, 1911forums, sigforums, etc... Those I can not get too. I didn't know about ShootersForum, I can pull that, now I have something for the next time THR is down, that'll never happen (knock on wood). So i went to offtopic.com, they have an "arsenal" forum. It's nothing compared to you guys. I missed you guys, how about a group hug...:D

71Commander
May 3, 2004, 05:46 PM
1911 forum for me. I visit both on a regular basis, but post more here.:confused:

burbanite
May 3, 2004, 05:58 PM
Hotboat.com (http://hotboat.com/) , AR-15.com (http://www.ar15.com/) , and working on my guns...

patentnonsense
May 3, 2004, 06:06 PM
http://www.berettaforum.net, natch.

Larry Ashcraft
May 3, 2004, 06:08 PM
Well, my son graduated from college on Saturday (all three have degrees now, whew!) and we had a graduation party that lasted all afternoon. Sunday a friend came over with a new (1943) Inland M1 Carbine, so we spent the afternoon shooting in the back yard.

Didn't miss it a bit. :D

jwmoore
May 3, 2004, 06:21 PM
SIGforum over the weekend... Plus 300 rounds downrange.

~W

Treylis
May 3, 2004, 06:46 PM
I hit up 1911Forum and GlockTalk, plus a little FALafel, because I'm thinking of buying one. However...
I was on Glocktalk a little bit Sunday, it didn't take me long to remember why I never post there.
Exact same thing happened to me. ;-) Even though I have friends who post there or mostly there, this is why I prefer THR:

it's not firearm-specific, which is the biggie.
it has a bunch more traffic/etc. in the things I'm interested in than GT
my IQ feels like it drops significantly every time I read GT, especially the 'Civil Liberties' and 'Cop Talk' sections. The latter is just repulsive and the former is virtually nothing but slavering anti-homosexual drivel. Nothing civil or liberty-minded about it.
there aren't TEN MILLION different forum sections here like there are there
speaking of being civil, it just seems to be nicer here

Before anyone jumps up to defend GT, I'm not slamming it as terrible for everyone. I'm sure that plenty of people who greatly enjoy spending time there, but, man... it's not for me.

stv
May 3, 2004, 06:54 PM
calguns.net for me, too.

WhoKnowsWho
May 3, 2004, 06:57 PM
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one!

I mostly did reading on the 1911forum.com though, you can never read enough information! :D

Dionysusigma
May 3, 2004, 07:02 PM
Personally went back to The Firing Line. Though my screen name is the same, I never got to post on there before it closed, as I wasn't into guns at that time. Logged in, and also saw a couple other reminiscers there too (cslinger and re1973, IIRC) ;)

Nothin' quite like TFL and THR, if you ask me... :)

longtom4570
May 3, 2004, 07:09 PM
1911 Forum for me and a few glances at the progress of the update.

BryanP
May 3, 2004, 07:16 PM
I registered and posted a few questions over at The Fal Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums) as I am looking at picking up a FAL of some sort to keep the AR & AK company.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
May 3, 2004, 07:19 PM
Sifted through the archives on stuff I didn't know.

Re-read some of the threads I'd posted on before.

Read some of my old posts, for that matter. Noted some attitude changes on my part, and on some other's part also. This "writing things down" business allows for detailed examination of one's thinking over a comparitively long time period. Considering that TFL, and here also, tend to make one think seriously and thoroughly about the subjects one chooses to post on, one can observe changes in thinking over time in detail.

Can be quite interesting, and sometimes surprising and revealing.

I'd reccomed it to anyone. Granted, with THR back up and running, the need is lessened considerably. However, you might be surprised at yourself if you haven't gone back and looked in a while.

Additionally, TFL boasted some 17,000 members in it's heyday. That many people represent a HUGE stack of useful information. It's also presented in a pleasant, civil, easy-to-appreciate and well-mannered way that we have come to expect here on The High Road. (Not a surprise, as we started this place to continue the standards begun at TFL.)

Go look, if you haven't. Or even if you have. You needn't slog through the swamp (Said with tongue-in-cheek. No offense meant.) of GT when there's more than a weekend's worth of reading in the TFL archive. You won't regret it.

SodaPop
May 3, 2004, 07:24 PM
Where some of the other TFL refugees hang out.

www.thefiringrange.com

Come on over!!!

sm
May 3, 2004, 08:57 PM
In my defense, I was doing research on TFL. I had folks slinging E-mails back and forth from all over the place...New Zealand for one.

I even talked to folks in regard to some problems and questions, and some bull was slung as well.

Heck I even did some studying and research for class.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

I did not post at all - not even once - I tried though...funny how I just tried to ask a question at TFL just like old times...:o

PaladinVC
May 3, 2004, 09:25 PM
I, too, revisited TFL and browsed the archives. It was fun to pick a member and look at all the threads they started. You learn the most interesting things about someone by observing how they ask a question of strangers.

Is there any risk of TFL being taken offline? It's a fantastic resource, even disabled as it is, and I'd like to be able to return there years from now to ask questions of the "search" feature.

tc300mag1
May 3, 2004, 10:19 PM
yeah i went to some other ones but ones i normaly visit to like the Xd forums more gun specific than genral forums

TrapperReady
May 3, 2004, 11:34 PM
Scanned through 1911forum.com and sigforum.com. Even checked out jouster.com a few times.

Tamara
May 4, 2004, 12:17 AM
Well, since I've been registered at 1911forum, Smith & Wesson Forum, and GlockTalk for longer than THR has been in existance, this shouldn't come as a surprise. ;)

pignock
May 4, 2004, 01:34 AM
arf

but I only posted once in keeping with my laconic posting rate. No sense using up all (both) my typeworthy thoughts at once. :rolleyes:

Keith

cordex
May 4, 2004, 01:37 AM
I decided to share Derek's pain - I fixed my server (http://www.benswenson.com) and touched up the forums I wrote for it.

RocketMan
May 4, 2004, 01:58 AM
Yes, I went and played on other forums.
A little.
It wasn't the same.

Duke of Lawnchair
May 4, 2004, 02:45 AM
I've been a member and continue to dig around the following on a daily basis:

ar15.com
glocktalk.com
sigforum.com
shotgunworld.com

Jim

mondocomputerman
May 4, 2004, 09:09 AM
I had to go over to GlockTalk. This place is my home though.

Legionnaire
May 4, 2004, 09:47 AM
Briefly visited battlerifles.com, but felt like an interloper even though I'm registered there. Glad to be back home!

gulogulo1970
May 4, 2004, 11:51 AM
When the site was down I realized I have no life. So, instead of reading and responding about shooting, I actually went shooting Saturday and Sunday.

MoNsTeR
May 4, 2004, 01:57 PM
I read THR, 1911forum, and Brian Enos' forums daily (and GlockTalk for the classifieds)

so the downtime took a little wind out of my gun-forum sails but I got by ;)

Joe Demko
May 4, 2004, 02:32 PM
I waited in out. I participate in only two fora, this one and a non gun-oriented one.

WYO
May 4, 2004, 02:43 PM
I also participate at Accurate Reloading and 24 Hour Campfire, but THR is home base.

ruger357
May 4, 2004, 02:44 PM
1911forum.

Black Majik
May 4, 2004, 03:26 PM
Hmm.. since this forum was down I visited the other firearms sites and even cruised over to the old car/sportbike boards I used to go to!

1911forum.com, calguns.net, shotgunworld.com, sigforum.com. sportbikes.net, socalsportbikes.com, bimmerforums.com, dtmpower.net

:D

41mag
May 4, 2004, 04:31 PM
I too spent ALOT of time searching on TFL.
As I have had this hobby on hold for several years I had(have) alot of catching up to do.Both here & TFL seem to fit best vs. most of the other boards.
Also spent some time on hobby #2.:)

gunsmith
May 4, 2004, 06:30 PM
And spent a little time at KABA.
I was surprised at the tone of packing org, a lot name calling that was uncalled for.
I saw a poster called "Standing Wolf" and a few others I recognized...
Thank God for THR !

SoCalGeek
May 4, 2004, 06:41 PM
I will admit that i went and played on SigForum, but it just wasn't the same :(

azrael
May 4, 2004, 06:50 PM
WELL I tried to find another forum to play in....Decided to give 1911forum a try...NEVER GOT MY confirmation e-mail back from them, so I couldn't post...So instead of trying to play elsewhere I simply worked on my backlog some..

The CHIMERA is coming..

Lennyjoe
May 4, 2004, 06:55 PM
Visited TFL for some constructive reading.

Also visited 1911forum.com and KTOG to read up on the new P3AT Kel-Tec I purchased on Friday.

If you enjoyed reading about "So who went elsewhere for their discussion fix?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!