*Possible* Poser help

PDA

JamisJockey
May 5, 2004, 09:31 AM
I've got a guy on an firearms email list who's made some interesting claims about being a Marine Sniper along with some weapons comments (BMG .50 sniper rifle, mostly...also claims to have quite the class III collection, but at least seems to know what it takes to get a class III). I need some help or information on verifying his background.

If you enjoyed reading about "*Possible* Poser help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kentucky Rifle
May 5, 2004, 09:43 AM
This is a bad lie.
I know some SEALS who go around kicking butt when they find someone who *claims to have been a SEAL, but really wasn't.
It's very dangerous to *claim to be a sniper when you wern't.

KR

JamisJockey
May 5, 2004, 09:48 AM
*claim to be a sniper when you wern't.

Some more details were mention of drug interdiction work in Columbia. No super secret death squad claims, or "I was so good I didn't go to official training" yet...I might have to ask some details of him to see what he claims.

this is a bad lie
I don't have any information that he's actually lieing, just some suspicion.

Harry Tuttle
May 5, 2004, 09:49 AM
find out if he was at the Marine Scout/Sniper Association meeting in Denver this Winter

(the meeting was in Las Vegas)

Steve in PA
May 5, 2004, 09:51 AM
What is it about him that brings you to believe he is a Marine Corps Sniper?? Other than the fact that just about every "real" sniper doesn't brag or talk much about his profession (they tend to be a quite bunch).

JamisJockey
May 5, 2004, 09:54 AM
What is it about him that brings you to believe he is a Marine Corps Sniper??
He made the claim only when the conversation recently turned to snipers in Iraq and sniper rifles (including the new one... .408 is it?), after being around the group for a few months.

chas_martel
May 5, 2004, 10:45 AM
First clue he is a Poser is talking about a Class 3 collection.

The proper terminology would be a Title 2 collection.
There is no such thing as a Class 3 gun.................

Just a pet peeve of mine.................

JamisJockey
May 5, 2004, 10:47 AM
Well, I've started a thread about MOS and our Military experience...maybe I can bait him with that. I'll update when I've got more. I also emailed the guy that runs the Marine Scout/Sniper association.

JamisJockey
May 5, 2004, 11:58 AM
Update:
His hints at being a sniper weren't quite accurate. He never claimed to be, but claimed to have been issued different types of sniper rifles during deployments. After baiting him for more info, he posted this on the list

Started 2674 & 2675 (Spanish and Arabic Cryptological Linguist) and quickly got deployed with a joint narcotic task force to SA
The MOS's check out. I'm assuming SA is South America.
Came back and spent time as 0321 (force recon marine)
Correct MOS for Force Recon.

Medically retired in April of 2000 at E6, but never wore the rank as I was in a hospital bed for 9 months
I've never met a poser who admitted to spending any real time in a hospital.

The only comment that really makes me go :uhoh: is
Attached to my fair share "other teams" (non marine corps squads).
I'm just not sure how often Linguists are "attached" to special units.

BHPshooter
May 5, 2004, 12:08 PM
Some more details were mention of drug interdiction work in Columbia.

He probably just finished "Clear and Present Danger," and wanted to get in on the excitement. :D

Your latest post sounds more realistic, but that's the problem with the internet -- you never really know...

Wes

Jeff White
May 5, 2004, 12:18 PM
I know some people on www.lightfighter.net who are working as contractors in Columbia now. Perhaps they could help with some verification.

Jeff

Mike Hull
May 5, 2004, 12:48 PM
Here's some places you can use to check on him.
http://www.phonyveterans.com/

http://vikingphoenix.com/military/veterans/phonyvet.htm

http://www.sftt.org/feedback_05032002.html

Quartus
May 5, 2004, 01:17 PM
I'm just not sure how often Linguists are "attached" to special units.

From what I know (second hand), that's realistic.

I have to agree that the 'real deals' don't usually talk about it much, but then, they ARE people, and people differ. They'll certainly talk more amongst themselves. I was in a Reserve SF outfit for a while, and though I was not a Beret myself, I was pretty much accepted and treated like one of them. They'd swap stories among themselves that they wouldn't tell outside at all.

I suppose it's possible that your guy feels he's among equals, so free to talk. Dunno.

Then again, maybe he was a personnel clerk and knows all the MOS numbers! :D

Skankabilly
May 5, 2004, 01:36 PM
Nothing irks me more than someone posing as someone else!

Brad Johnson
May 5, 2004, 01:37 PM
He's a wannabe. Same class as the retards who sit around in black t-shirts and camo gear selling all the pseudo-military supplies at the gun shows. They are usually missing a few teeth and are several days past due for a bath. They will not hesitate to tell you how many people they've "offed with their bare hands".

The truth is that the only military training they have is from watching endless retruns of "Platoon", "Full Metal Jacket", and "Apocalypse Now" while playing with themselves, and the only thing they've ever "offed with their bare hands" is a bucket of hot wings and a six-pack of Milwaukee's Best.

Brad

fix
May 5, 2004, 01:47 PM
1. I've never heard of anyone making a lat move to an 03 field from a non-combat arms field.

2. 0321 is not necessarily Force Recon. Could be BN recon, but the above still applies.

3. If he was a SS school graduate, he would have a secondary MOS of 8541.

4. 8652 - Recon w/Jump, 8653 - Recon w/Scuba, 8654 - Recon w/both

He may have been attached to a FR unit in a support position, but I don't think they have linguists. The old rule that the "real deal" guys don't talk is not always true. I have a few buddies who will talk for hours about their service...to another Jarhead. So, don't rule him out just yet.

Start probing for answers. Ask him when he went to BRC. Was he east or left coast? If he says east coast, ask him if he knew a guy named Moose. If he's legit, he will figure out that you are "calling him out" and clear things up quickly. If this guy is actually a Marine and is lying, I don't need to tell you that you have a sacred duty to locate him and beat his ass, but if it turns out he is for real...then you've got a good source of knowledge that you know you can call on in the future. He will not be offended by you being suspicious.

Trebor
May 5, 2004, 03:05 PM
Unless he's trying to go out of his way to grab glory that isn't his, why all the fuss about trying to discredit his background? Granted, it's not good to claim something you haven't earned, but this guy doesn't sound like the usual fakers who go on and on about their "double secret probation" classified misisons, etc.

As far as a linguist being attached to some other unit, why not? I know Army SF guys are cross trained in other languages, but if the Marine unit doesn't have that organic capability, why not borrow someone who does and assign them to the unit as TDY?

Personally, I'd cut him some slack and just let it go, unless he starts making some REAL outrageous claims.

Smoke
May 5, 2004, 03:12 PM
"offed with their bare hands" is a bucket of hot wings and a six-pack of Milwaukee's Best.

Well, now there's a bunch of Dr. Pepper on my screen.:D :D :D

Smoke

OT: Brad, been to Cagle's lately?

atek3
May 5, 2004, 05:00 PM
[homer voice]
mmmmm, hot wings...aallahlll
[/homer voice]

atek3

Brad Johnson
May 5, 2004, 06:03 PM
OT: Brad, been to Cagle's lately?

Not lately - I usually grill my own. You from Lubbock?

Brad

SemperFi83
May 5, 2004, 06:41 PM
Actually...the MOS for Arabic linguist is 2671. I was one (1983-1990). And they do get attached to Force Recon units, but that doesn't make them Force Recon. Its lots of fun to train and deploy with those guys, but that doesn't make a linguist an operator.

Vasilia Zhietzev
May 5, 2004, 07:28 PM
atc1man,

you have a PM...

vasilia

striker3
May 5, 2004, 11:27 PM
fix:
1. I've never heard of anyone making a lat move to an 03 field from a non-combat arms field.

Any male, from any MOS can take the Recon indoc. If they pass, they are sent to RIP, then to BRC or ARS, where they get the 0321 MOS. So it is possible. They may also be sent to the Infantry Training Battalion to get the 0311 MOS first. In my ITB company, we had a Cpl who spent 3 years as a MotorT mech before he passed the indoc. After graduation, he went straight to BRC at Coronado Island. So I know for a fact that it is possible.

Smoke
May 6, 2004, 07:38 AM
OT again...

Not from Lubbock, just love Cagles. Did do two semesters at Tech. Have lots of friends in the panhandle. Was up there for a week the last two years for seminars.

Regards

Smoke

auldpharght
May 6, 2004, 08:57 AM
The answer is painfully obvious.

Publish his e-mail and let some of these guys have at him. If he's for real, he won't mind, and may welcome contact with other Marines.

If he's a phoney, he's gone and you've lost nothing.

Auldpharght

fix
May 6, 2004, 10:41 AM
Any male, from any MOS can take the Recon indoc.

I was aware of that, but did not know that they were given a new primary MOS. I thought they just got a 8xxx secondary. Thanks for clearing that up.

Stay safe over there brother.

Hoploholic
May 6, 2004, 11:45 AM
LOL I know exactly who you are talking about act1...he is fake as the day is long if you ask me. Everything he does is super secret and ultra tactical to include his so called present day job which of course he cannot go into any detail over. I loved the bit about how he took 16 rounds in the chest and had to stay in the hospital for 9 months. Thank goodness he had a vest to stop 12 of the rounds and ribs to stop 2 more. The dead give away is that he offers this information freely with the hopes of impressing someone. Real men and women of action may speak of their deeds, but they do not do so unsolicited or boastfully. I have no respect for the likes of the "Storm".

Hoploholic
May 6, 2004, 11:46 AM
LOL I know exactly who you are talking about act1...he is fake as the day is long if you ask me. Everything he does is super secret and ultra tactical to include his so called present day job which of course he cannot go into any detail over. I loved the bit about how he took 16 rounds in the chest and had to stay in the hospital for 9 months. Thank goodness he had a vest to stop 12 of the rounds and ribs to stop 2 more. The dead give away is that he offers this information freely with the hopes of impressing someone. Real men and women of action may speak of their deeds, but they do not do so unsolicited or boastfully. I have no respect for the likes of the "Storm".

Bartholomew Roberts
May 6, 2004, 12:20 PM
Atcman, get some time frames on this besides when he got out (when did he enlist, when did he make NCO -- these are all easy enough to work into a "what did you do in the military" conversation). So far the different MOS this guy has claimed add up to a LOT of training.

I did the linguist thing with NSG from 1993 to 1998, so between SemperFi83 and me, I bet we can verify that part of the story easily enough if your suspect wants to share details.

Ask him when he was at DLI (what years), who his instructor was, his first duty station after that. That should tell us enough to know whether he is even a linguist to begin with.

JamisJockey
May 6, 2004, 01:00 PM
I am not allowed to disclose much about the mission or it's surroundings, but I was struck by 11 rounds...

9 of which struck the BPV I was wearing (three of which penetrated the vest but were stopped by my ribs). The other two ripped my left shoulder up pretty badly. After four surgeries to repair it, I have decent use of my left shoulder but can't really lift more than 5-6 lbs before it dislocates unless I am supporting it carefully.

One of the two rounds that entered through my shoulder stopped about 1/2 inch from my heart; both rounds were removed surgically at an airbase located outside the US.

I spent 9 months in a hospital bed from the surgeries and recoveries (all were major operations involving 6-14 hours of surgery time).

For those who were wondering, I think the 9 that were stopped by the vest hurt a hell of lot more than the 2 that weren't :) I was bruised for months.

Hope that answers your questions.

At least he doesn't claim to have been back on his feet in a week after taking some real hits.

:barf:

I'm going to ask to see pics of the scars...:neener:

JamisJockey
May 6, 2004, 01:01 PM
I am not allowed to disclose much about the mission or it's surroundings, but I was struck by 11 rounds...

9 of which struck the BPV I was wearing (three of which penetrated the vest but were stopped by my ribs). The other two ripped my left shoulder up pretty badly. After four surgeries to repair it, I have decent use of my left shoulder but can't really lift more than 5-6 lbs before it dislocates unless I am supporting it carefully.

One of the two rounds that entered through my shoulder stopped about 1/2 inch from my heart; both rounds were removed surgically at an airbase located outside the US.

I spent 9 months in a hospital bed from the surgeries and recoveries (all were major operations involving 6-14 hours of surgery time).

For those who were wondering, I think the 9 that were stopped by the vest hurt a hell of lot more than the 2 that weren't :) I was bruised for months.

Hope that answers your questions.

At least he doesn't claim to have been back on his feet in a week after taking some real hits.

:barf:

I'm going to ask to see pics of the scars...:neener:

JamisJockey
May 6, 2004, 02:22 PM
I have no pictures of the wounds. I don't have any pictures of the scars. I do have scars so if you want to come meet me, you are welcome to see them :) Or you can see them at the shoot this summer.

Well, he's claiming he'll show up for the Utah shoot, but I bet none of his scars resemble bullet wounds. He'll blame it on the surgeries, I'm sure.

Anyone have any good poser links? I'm going to post a poser thread as a way of baiting him a little more.
I know, I should just make a full frontal assault, but have you ever seen a cat kill a mouse immediately? :evil:

Jeff White
May 6, 2004, 03:00 PM

9 of which struck the BPV

BPV??? I don't know anyone in the military who refers to his boday armor as BPV. IBA is common. If he was with Force Recon it should be FSBE.

Send me what you have on this guy. I know someone who can verify claims of service with Force.

Jeff

JamisJockey
May 6, 2004, 03:16 PM
Send me what you have on this guy. I know someone who can verify claims of service with Force.
Done, you have a PM.

JamisJockey
May 6, 2004, 04:27 PM
I sent this message
That had to hurt! I'd love to see some of those scars, have any
pictures?

His reply
I have no pictures of the wounds. I don't have any pictures of the scars. I do have scars so if you want to come meet me, you are welcome to see them :) Or you can see them at the shoot this summer.
:uhoh:
Then one of the other listers decided to out me:
Black, Jesse" <jesse.black@ngc.com> wrote:
Really Jason is from Missouri. He must think yer tellin' stories ;)

Ah crap...

His reply
Haha, nice. I got nothing to hide and no reason to make anything up. There are many days I wish I was making it up. I'd still be in the Corps where I enjoyed life instead of sitting behind a desk running financials.
The only reason I am happy about having been wounded was that I met my wife.

Semper Fidelis

:D
I've got some independant sources doing some checking, I'd love to see what they find.

Oh, something that occured to me about his "injuries"....if they happend on a classified mission, wouldn't the injuries be classified? I had a story relayed by a friend once of one of his friends who was a bonafide seal who had a fubar'd leg...and couldn't keep his stories straight. "training accident" "skiing accident" and "car accident" but would never provide details....

Quartus
May 6, 2004, 08:50 PM
I had a story relayed by a friend once of one of his friends who was a bonafide seal who had a fubar'd leg...and couldn't keep his stories straight. "training accident" "skiing accident" and "car accident" but would never provide details....

That sounds more like the real deal. Talking about some things is Just Not Done.

If you enjoyed reading about "*Possible* Poser help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!