Out of state carry in Georgia and Florida

PDA

ny32182
May 5, 2004, 10:28 AM
I am going on a trip to Ft. Lauderdale, and am going to be driving through Georgia and Florida. I am an SC CWP holder. Reading through packing.org, it looks like I will be able to have a gun in the car, but not carry on my person in either of these states. Is that correct? Anything else I should know?

If you enjoyed reading about "Out of state carry in Georgia and Florida" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Evil_Ed
May 5, 2004, 10:45 AM
For Florida you can have a loaded gun in the car but it needs to be "secure." Generally that means in a holster in the glove box or center console. The glove box/console do NOT have to be locked though. I used to carry this way regularly until I got my CCW. If you will be travelling down here on a regular basis it would be worthwhile for you to apply for an out of state permit in Florida, it will get you reciprocity for many other states, including Georgia. Check out Florida's reciprocity list from www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/florida (http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/florida)

treeprof
May 5, 2004, 11:07 AM
You're correct. In Georgia, you can have it (loaded) in the car in plain view, the glovebox or console, but not on you w/out CCW from Ga or reciprocity state.

treeprof
May 5, 2004, 11:07 AM
You're correct. In Georgia, you can have it (loaded) in the car in plain view, the glovebox or console, but not on you w/out CCW from Ga or reciprocity state.

ny32182
May 5, 2004, 11:16 AM
Ok, thanks for the info guys. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Raistlin
May 5, 2004, 12:11 PM
Good luck, ttbadboy - maybe one day SC will wake up and opt for reciprocity with GA. :D

LiquidTension
May 5, 2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah, some day....

We just got reciprocity with NC a few months ago. I'm not holding my breath for FL or GA.

Highland Ranger
May 5, 2004, 07:33 PM
Florida issues non-resident CCW's that are valid in many states . . . . I think its a 60 or 90 day process. Mine took around 60 days. It costs a few hundred bucks all told but it might be worth it for you - not sure it fits in your timeframe if this is a summer vacation question.

Mannlicher
May 5, 2004, 09:09 PM
if you are in Lauderdale unarmed, I bet you will be the ONLY person not packing. Broward County is almost as bad as Dade County. Everyone has a gun.
Keep your's out of sight, and don't worry about it.

ny32182
May 5, 2004, 10:12 PM
This trip is coming up very soon; no way I could get a non-res permit in time. But its something to look into in the future if it is valid in many states.

Mine will be out of sight for sure. But there... like always.

If you enjoyed reading about "Out of state carry in Georgia and Florida" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!