AR-15 gas tube and free floating handguard

PDA

dr_reloader
May 5, 2004, 12:51 PM
have a AR-15 Colt HBAR that I am installing a DPMS free floating handguard on... I cannot get the gas tube out... I have taken the roll pin out but it still will not come out... is there an easy way of taking it out???

Also has anybody ever installed a DPMS free floating HG on their ar-15... It did not come with anything...

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 gas tube and free floating handguard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartholomew Roberts
May 5, 2004, 04:02 PM
Knocking the pins out of the front sight base can be fun eh?

Chances are good that carbon build up around the gas tube is probably what is holding it in place if the pins are removed. Try some brake cleaner or Gun Scrubber to loosen it up.

dr_reloader
May 5, 2004, 06:53 PM
I used a padded set of vise grips

Rockstar
May 7, 2004, 01:03 PM
There's no need to remove the gas tube from the front sight base. Just knock out the two taper pins, left-to-right and pull the sight base, with gas tube attached, off the end of the barrel. Properly torque the barrel nut part of the DPMS tube, screw the longer piece into the barrel nut, then replace the gas tube/sight base assembly.

Badger Arms
May 7, 2004, 07:00 PM
Rockstar beat me to it. Don't take the gas tube off, it's unnecessary.

dr_reloader
May 8, 2004, 03:08 PM
too late for the gas tube got it off and put the free floating handguard on... had to take a big punch and bigger hammer to get the front sight pins out... going to install the handguards this afternoon and sight the rifle bag in...
gas tube needs a good cleaning
:p

thank you for ya'lls help

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 gas tube and free floating handguard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!