Treatment is Available

PDA

Bix
May 5, 2004, 02:05 PM
I somehow ran into the "Phobia Clinic's 24 hour Hoplophobia program" page this morning. Any suggested candidates for the program?

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?PhobiaID=1603&SDID=1434

I was particularly struck by the following admonition:

"For anyone earning a living or at school, the financial toll of this phobia is incalculable. Living with fear means you can never concentrate fully and give your best. Lost opportunities. Poor performance or grades. Promotions that pass you by. Fear of Firearm will likely cost you tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of your lifetime . . ."

Interesting. I though it was hoplophilia that was doing that to me.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Treatment is Available" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cameron Lamont
May 5, 2004, 02:31 PM
That's a great link I sent it to some associates who "live with the fear"...

I am doing my best to help.

I wonder if they can come up with a cure for liberals?

C

mountaindrew
May 5, 2004, 03:09 PM
I do not mean to be flip, but is that page for real? I mean they treat it pretty seriosly. I know people who are afraid of guns but really! Does the average person in school or working come into contact with guns so often that the fear would cripple them in the way that that page suggested? I know that I dont see nor am I remided of guns at work or school, And I am a gun person! where to these non-gun people work or go to scool that the are constantly exposed or reminded of guns? I guess I just dont understand.

sturmruger
May 5, 2004, 03:30 PM
So if Hoplophobia is the fear of guns. What do we call the fear of not having guns? Because I am pretty sure I have that.:D

vi9er
May 5, 2004, 03:37 PM
Well, that page reads like a form letter.

Do you suffer from (insert Fear of XXX)? If so, when can cure your (insert Fear of XXX).

Thats one of the main giveaways of a form letter is constant misuse of plurality, i.e. "Do you suffer from Fear of Firearm?" ..."and overall feelings of dread, although everyone experiences fear of firearm in their own way and may have different symptoms. "

They list common symptoms of phobias in general, and just sub in the name of a fear. I, the great Ed, pronounce it a scam.

If it's not, I have a hard time taking any medical proffesional seriously who can not use the letter "s" correctly.

Ed

Chipperman
May 5, 2004, 05:21 PM
"What do we call the fear of not having guns?"

Hmmm...

I think that would be Ahoplophobia.

Phobia is a Greek root, and generally "A" in front of it means "without or absence of"

For example agalactia means without milk.

4570Rick
May 5, 2004, 05:32 PM
I think I have a fear of not owning enough guns. :D

Preacherman
May 5, 2004, 06:04 PM
Let's see... If we have "hoplophobia" as an expression meaning an unreasoned fear of firearms, then I suspect I'm suffering from:

1. Hoplophilia - an unreasoned enjoyment of and liking for firearms; http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

2. Hoploarachnoid syndrome - when I see a big spider (like those Iraqi camel spiders), to heck with the insecticide spray - gimme a 12 gauge! :what:

3. (Full-)Autophilia - this tends to affect me about twice a year, usually coinciding with the Knob Creek festivities... :D

4. Isolaphobia - I fear being left alone in hostile terrirory without at least one gun handy. :uhoh:

5. Irritable bowel syndrome - this strikes me whenever I have to listen to a liberal hoplophobe carrying on! :fire:

MagKnightX
May 5, 2004, 06:25 PM
You get diarrhea when talking to commies?

Highland Ranger
May 5, 2004, 06:27 PM
I have emtoiusmagophobia - fear of empty magazines.

RadikalRednek
May 5, 2004, 07:05 PM
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you will find the true motivation of this site.http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/radikalrednek/Card-Logos-hor.gif Wonder what the term is for fear of "There is someone out there we haven't suckered out of their money yet?";)

BluesBear
May 6, 2004, 10:35 AM
Wonder what the term is for fear of "There is someone out there we haven't suckered out of their money yet?" Yes there is.
It's called the Kerry for President election fund.

If you enjoyed reading about "Treatment is Available" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!