Anyone tried HotShot Ammo?

PDA

Norton
May 5, 2004, 09:11 PM
I was messing around on the Century Arm website and saw that they have HotShot brand ammo in 9mm at $100.00/1000 rounds.

They are sort of vague when they say that it is made "by one of the world's largest ammo manufacturers" but it is a good deal.......

Anyone know anything about this ammo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone tried HotShot Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SnakeEater
May 5, 2004, 09:13 PM
I put 200rds of Hot Shot .223 SS109 through my AR-15 yesterday. I had very good results and zero problems, got it through AIM for $20 per 100.

Moparmike
May 5, 2004, 09:15 PM
8mm Mauser SP seems almost as hot as the Turkish stuff I shot before it. I have no report on accuracy though.

Zak Smith
May 5, 2004, 10:12 PM
I bought a case of HotShot 9mm. It was EXTREMELY dirty, and I sold the rest of the case - 900 rounds - off for $50. It was so dirty shooting 40 rounds compared to shooting about 500-800 normal reloads.

-z

entropy
May 5, 2004, 11:21 PM
It's OK for the price. I buy it many for the brass. I think of it as Blazer or Wolf that I can reload.;)

fslflint
May 5, 2004, 11:27 PM
I got a box of 243 at a gun show to sight in with and teach a new shooter. the first shot was a double throw and cracked the case from the neck to the base. I'm just gonna pull the bullets and reload the brass eventually. not gonna shoot them.

cheygriz
May 6, 2004, 12:03 AM
I recently tried some of it through mr AR-15, and I was very well pleased. I'll prolly buy a full case of the Hotshot SS109, .223.

Norton
May 6, 2004, 06:11 AM
Hmmm...it's funny how people can have the such different experiences with the same ammo. Makes you wonder how much the particular gun has to do with failures, dirtiness, etc. Not being too into the minute details of ballistics, I'm confessing ignorance here.

The ammo was cheap...but not THAT cheap that I want to risk problems with this stuff. I like my WWB stuff and I know it works.

BluesBear
May 6, 2004, 07:02 AM
ALL of the Hotshot ammo I have seen that says Made in the USA on the box has been headstamped A-MERC which means it's made by American Ammo. That is the only ammo on the planet I have ever seen that I refuse to use!

A local shop bought some in 9mm & .45acp because it "was such a deal". In one box of .45 alone we could push SEVEN bullets deep into the case by moderate finger pressure. In all fairness we could do only FIVE in the 9mm box. In addition, I have NEVER heard anyone say anything good about A-A brass. In fact everyone seems to be of the singular opinion that it is junk.
I picked up a few at my local indoor range recently... and I thought the necks of my .44/40 brass were thin!

I am not going to say I believe all of the internet horror stories I have heard about A-A. But since I can get Blazer and Wolf cheaper why bother.

wrench
May 6, 2004, 12:39 PM
I have fired about 500 rd of 124 gr 9mm hotshot, and I have had no failures.
mine says 'made in bosnia' on the box, I don't know the headstamp, I'll look when I get home tonight.
I didn't think it was as dirty as the wolf....

Silent Bob
May 6, 2004, 01:20 PM
The "Hotshot" marked on the boxes as being made in Bosnia-Herzegovina is manufacted by Igman, and is okay target/range ammo (kind of dirty)

The ones marked as made in the U.S. are manufactured by A-Merc, which is the worst ammunition I know of period.

Apparently, most of the Hotshot ammunition is produced by Igman, including all of the rifle ammunition (I could be wrong). In handgun calibers, certain calibers are procured from American Ammunition.

Bottom line, stay away from the made in U.S.A. Hotshot.

MuzzleBlast
May 6, 2004, 02:03 PM
Put 100 rounds of .303 through my Enfield. It seems a little loaded down maybe, but other than that I have no complaints.

magsnubby
May 8, 2004, 01:46 AM
Bought 500 rounds of the stuff in .38 special. Makes me wonder if they use black powder in that stuff. Nasty!

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone tried HotShot Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!