How's THR's speed now?

PDA

Derek Zeanah
May 6, 2004, 10:38 AM
Subjectively, how do things feel now, vs before the upgrade madness?

If you enjoyed reading about "How's THR's speed now?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Highland Ranger
May 6, 2004, 10:52 AM
Purely subjective but I'd call it noticeably slower at times.

Other times, like now, no issue.

Might be more load sensitive than before (seems slower at night when more people are on.)

Wildalaska
May 6, 2004, 12:42 PM
Seems faster to me

WildandimsoclosetotheserverAlaska

cordex
May 6, 2004, 01:53 PM
Nice'n fast, to me.

OF
May 6, 2004, 02:27 PM
It was crawling earlier this morning, but it seems about normal now.

- Gabe

OF
May 7, 2004, 09:39 AM
0935 EST: Slower than molasses in the wintertime. All of the sudden-like, too.

- Gabe

WhoKnowsWho
May 7, 2004, 10:00 AM
It's a bit slow at times over here on a cable modem. Everything normally just pops up instantly... lately, it takes a little bit though.

Derek Zeanah
May 7, 2004, 10:21 AM
Sorry - trying to download a Linux ISO, and am having issues limiting the transfer speeds... :(

WhoKnowsWho
May 7, 2004, 10:34 AM
Ah... :)

Jason Demond
May 7, 2004, 05:24 PM
Still a little slow.

Might be the Feds, you never know!:uhoh:

:)

OF
May 7, 2004, 07:45 PM
Speedier now. 1945 EST

- Gabe

cdbeaver
May 8, 2004, 03:08 PM
I'm on high-speed internet, but THR loads very slowly most of the time. I thought maybe I had a hidden virus or something, but now I doubt it.

g_gunter
May 11, 2004, 09:30 PM
I'm dying man! And I'm on a high-speed connection. Help!

Greg

MLH
May 11, 2004, 09:42 PM
and all I get is web site not responding! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!:cuss: :banghead:

Shovelhead
May 12, 2004, 06:35 PM
80% of the time very slow..............:banghead:

Shovelhead

Derek Zeanah
May 12, 2004, 08:40 PM
Slow how? Ideas:
Sometimes the router goes stupid and takes a long time to transfer packets. A restart fixes this (though the test/automatic restart isn't configured yet) and should only happen every few days if that often.
I tend to open like 30 windows at once, and I've noticed that I'm only allowed to have 2-3 connections to the web server open at a time, so a few of the windows take longer to open (doesn't affect me). This may be something we can correct.
Sometimes an upstream router will go stupid. I just ran a traceroute and saw "unknown.level3.net" giving ping times of eight tenths of a second, when it should be a twentieth. Not much I can do about that (not my provider anyway).
Occasionally I'll do something silly like run a database dump during heavy hours and really slow things down. This should end this week as everything gets settled in.There are probably a dozen other issues that could be possing up.

What symptoms are you seeing?

When you "ping www.thehighroad.org" (if that fails or is slow, try mail.thehighroad.org -- a different machine that sits next to it), what kind of times does it give you? If pings are slow, what's the output of tracert -d www.thehighroad.org?

More data means a quicker fix. :)

MaterDei
May 12, 2004, 09:06 PM
I'm not familiar with the vBulletin but I also tend to have long delays, especially when posting with an attached file, even a small one. I don't know whether you can do anything about the code but it seems to me that the SQL needs some tuning.

Perhaps with this app, being shrink wrapped and all, tuning is not an option. If not you can at least petition the developer to make some improvements.

OTOH, it might be that your server specs are, how should I say it..., lacking???

Michael

Derek Zeanah
May 12, 2004, 09:26 PM
For the most part, the server's not breaking a sweat. Now, we did move from a 3-drive RAID5 array to a mirrored array (both on the same RAID controller), but half of the SQL hits are served from cache anyway, and most of the rest are in memory.

We can move to the next version of vB which should speed things up a bit (moving attachments to the filesystem, using MySQL 4's search functions, less SQL calls that are supposedly better designed, some alterations to the schema, etc), but lots are wary of that move.

Jason Demond
May 13, 2004, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all your work!

gyp_c2
May 13, 2004, 05:14 PM
I'll second THAT!

Feels pretty good today...rippin'...g2

Derek Zeanah
May 14, 2004, 02:27 PM
Just found myself in a situation where my web browser was waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Turns out we had 350 connections to the web server, but the server was only configured to handle 250 at a time.

Oops. I've made changes. Please watch for the following, and PM or e-mail (or post here) if things go screwy again: You shouldn't see very long waits for page loads any more.
I changed the default timeout value from 5 minutes to one minute, which should mean the server can handle more connections. What it could mean, though, is that people with really slow dial-up connections get dropped. I don't think it's much of an issue, but let me know if you start seeing this sort of behavior.Thanks. We're still adapting, but the fine-tuning is almost done.

I hope. :o

Shovelhead
May 16, 2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the update Derek,

Seems to be MUCH faster this afternoon. :D

Shovelhead

Dionysusigma
May 16, 2004, 06:01 PM
There's been an occasional sluggishness for me, but it's probably the PC I'm using... IIRC, it was made in 1997 :o

And also late nights it sometimes won't come up at all (0030 CST) but I assume it's because of maintenance issues, which are fine (I tend to run defrags on my home comp. about every other night)!

Just please don't put us through another THR "famine" for a good long time. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "How's THR's speed now?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!