Ed's Red Plus??

PDA

adobewalls
May 6, 2004, 11:50 AM
Reading the thread on storing Ed's Red reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask:

Has anyone ever mixed any other ingredients into Ed's Red, such as:

Carb. Cleaner; or,

Ammonia; or,

Kroil; or,

Other Bore Cleaners, Shooter's Choise, Hoppes, etc?

Not all together in the same solution, but say Ed's Red plus Ammonia to go after the copper fouling? Or, Ed's Red plus Kroil for a long soak then clean?

I have thought about doing this, but really want to hear the opinions of others before I go mixing something up that may do more harm than good.

Any insight?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ed's Red Plus??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TimRB
May 6, 2004, 12:29 PM
"Not all together in the same solution, but say Ed's Red plus Ammonia to go after the copper fouling?"

Being an Ed's Red newbie myself, I'll watch this thread carefully, but FWIW, I think people use ammonia to get rid of the corrosive salts left by some (often milsurp) ammo, and not the copper fouling.

On the other hand, I presume traditional Ed's Red neutralizes or removes the salts. Anyone know?

Tim

Red_SC
May 6, 2004, 12:42 PM
Ammonia dissolves copper, too. Take a strong whiff of Sweets 7.62, which is a good copper remover, and tell me what it smells like.:neener:

dshimm
May 6, 2004, 01:35 PM
I'd sure like to hear what a real chemist says about this, but until one does...

I think that ammonia would be too polar to dissolve in a hydrocarbon-based solvent like Ed's Red.

Carb cleaner is a chlorinated hydrocarbon, typically methylene chloride. Same family as carbon tetrachloride. Very toxic.

Kroils, Shooter's Choice, and Hoppe's are all hydrocarbon based solvents like ER (I think) and so wouldn't necessarily do anything additional.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ed's Red Plus??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!