What gun is this?

PDA

old lady new shooter
May 31, 2016, 01:35 PM
This is cropped from a photo I saw in some article about gun-control laws, I'm curious to know what gun it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "What gun is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
samuelcmm
May 31, 2016, 01:36 PM
It might be just me but I don't see a photo

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

old lady new shooter
May 31, 2016, 01:36 PM
I clicked submit before the photo finished uploading, sorry. :o

yugorpk
May 31, 2016, 01:37 PM
Looks like a Bond Arms derringer. Dont drop it on your foot.

Acera
May 31, 2016, 02:53 PM
Looks like a Texas Ranger model.

You can see their product line here.
http://bondarms.com/

old lady new shooter
May 31, 2016, 04:04 PM
Thanks everybody. :)

So, um, it looks like it has two barrels? How does that work?

old lady new shooter
May 31, 2016, 04:06 PM
Looks like a Bond Arms derringer. Dont drop it on your foot.
My 686 weighs about 2 lbs loaded...

samuelcmm
May 31, 2016, 04:07 PM
There are two chambers and two firing pins, first pull first shot second pull second shot exactly like a over and under shotgun

Acera
May 31, 2016, 04:23 PM
There are two chambers and two firing pins, first pull first shot second pull second shot exactly like a over and under shotgun

Well kinda like that................

The barrel rotates up, by using a lever on the frame, and you put the two cartridges directly into their chambers, then you close the barrel and it will latch in place

Next you must cock the hammer back before you can pull the trigger and discharge one of the barrels. You then repeat that process to fire the second barrel, cock and pull the trigger.

Finally, you open it up again and remove the spent casings and reload if you plan to do more shooting.

It does not automatically cock itself like a O/U shotgun.

old lady new shooter
May 31, 2016, 05:56 PM
Why would someone want a handgun that only holds two rounds?

yugorpk
May 31, 2016, 06:03 PM
Derringers have been around a long time and were a great improvement from the time when handguns only held one round. Given the range that most gun fights occur and how many rounds are actually exchanged in a typical gun fight I really dont see how two 330 grain 45 Colt rounds travelling 1300 FPS isnt going to leave a bruise.

Coyote3855
May 31, 2016, 06:41 PM
And many are used in Cowboy Action side matches.

lysanderxiii
May 31, 2016, 07:48 PM
In 1866 two was better than one. (And it fit better in the coat pocket than a Colt....)

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/6/6c/Remington1866Derringer4.jpg/400px-Remington1866Derringer4.jpg

jmorris
May 31, 2016, 07:52 PM

I have one in 45 LC I use with Speer shot capsules each one holds just under 800 #12 shot. Never needed more than one to kill a snake but had the extra round if I needed it.

JellyJar
May 31, 2016, 08:05 PM
;)It is an American Derringer made in Waco Texas.

Given the Texas Ranger style star on the grip it is probably a limited edition like these:

http://www.amderringer.com/special.html

JJ

Oops! I didn't notice the trigger guard on that one. It must be a Bonds Arm one instead.

:)

whughett
May 31, 2016, 08:32 PM
Knew a man in Florida, since deceased that carried one in a special holster that held it and 4 additional rounds. It was in 357 or could have been 38 special.

yugorpk
May 31, 2016, 08:40 PM
I always wondered why Bond put that trigger guard on there. Kills the lines as a derringer. Its a single action derringer. Its not like you carry the thing cocked and locked or in the pocket with the hammer back.

460Kodiak
June 1, 2016, 10:42 AM
An excellent question. The answer is................... wait............. ummmmmm.................

After owning one for two years, not enjoying shooting it, and realizing I had other options that were much more effective for defense, mine was traded towards a Springfield XDs in 45 acp.

Kiln
June 1, 2016, 11:08 AM
I like the trigger guard. I think it is removable on at least some of their guns.

Speedo66
June 1, 2016, 11:16 AM
Good question. Derringers were originally thought to be a compact means of carrying two shoots.

With the large size of the one pictured, it makes no sense to me. There are probably ultra compact .45 semi-auto pistols no larger than that one. Being able to fire several shots on just the pull of the trigger as opposed to trying to use fine muscle skills in time of stress to pull back the hammer each time for a total of two shots? For me, it would be a no brainer to choose a small semi-auto instead.

stchman
June 1, 2016, 03:15 PM
That's a pretty nice looking Derringer, I don't know why a gun like that would be in an article about gun control laws.

Ranger Roberts
June 1, 2016, 03:42 PM
I have two, one in 38 special and one in 45/410. I bought the 38 on a whim and never shoot it. It hurts my hand like a son of a gun. I have big hands and that is a small gun. It is pretty much a display piece. Why would I buy a second one? Got it for dirt cheap. I never shoot that one either. What can I say? I never learn!

I can say this about both of them... Worst. Trigger. Pull. Ever!

Cooldill
June 3, 2016, 09:01 PM
Bond Arms derringer.

yugorpk
June 4, 2016, 01:23 AM
I can say this about both of them... Worst. Trigger. Pull. Ever!

Not even close. HK VP70Z for the win . Glorified high point with a 19 lb trigger that never gets better.

Confederate
June 4, 2016, 01:54 AM
It's for runners.

scaatylobo
June 4, 2016, 09:53 PM
Derringers have a "cool factor" and yes I admit I own more than one.

And have owned MANY,a few for cowboy action shoots and a few for BUG [ back up guns ].

Most are "single action" meaning you have to pull the hammer back to cock and fire them,slow and under stress DANGEROUS.

They do serve a purpose IF you train a great deal AND realize that you have a limit of 2 shots.

One reason they became popular was due to John Wilkes Booth, he used a "derringer" with a single barrel to shoot and assassinate President Lincoln.

Gamblers choice of weapon and across a card table they were as accurate as needed.

I also own 2 derringers that are double action,you pull the trigger and they go bang.

Very good for a BUG in the pocket to walk a 'questionable' neighborhood --- or any street at night.

joneb
June 4, 2016, 10:53 PM
Back in the day derringers were affordable and concealable, as no guns allowed became more common so did hide out guns.

Jim K
June 4, 2016, 11:07 PM
And then there are other Deringers.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=212433&d=1437881400

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "What gun is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!