Woman Reportedly Bites Into Live Bullet In Hot Dog

PDA

gunsmith
May 6, 2004, 11:05 PM
My doctor said mylanta! :p
X-Rays Show What Appears To Be Bullet In Woman's Stomach...
IRVINE, Calif. -- A woman eating a hot dog from a Costco food court in Irvine reportedly bit into a live 9mm round and later found what appears to be a bullet lodged in her stomach, according to a Local 6 News report.
http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0506/3276578_200X150.jpg
Olivia Chanes, 31, told police she was eating the hot dog Sunday afternoon at the store in Irvine, about 40 miles south of downtown Los Angeles, when she bit into something hard and found what officers determined was a live roundX-rays later found what appears to be another bullet in her stomach.

Police interviewed workers and opened all of the approximately 25 remaining hot dog packages after Chanes reported biting into the bullet, CEO Jim Sinegal said.

"We checked everything thoroughly," Sinegal said by phone from Costco's corporate office near Seattle. "Obviously, it's regrettable. ... The question is when could something like this happen."

The company CEO said he was not aware of any legal claim filed by Chanes. Police and the Orange County Health Department are investigating the incident.

Costco officials say they serve Hebrew National hot dogs, which are carefully prepared and pass through a metal detector at the factory******* I don't think that it's Kosher!***********
"This is such an extraordinary thing," Singal said. "It's difficult to understand how this could have happened."

If you enjoyed reading about "Woman Reportedly Bites Into Live Bullet In Hot Dog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
May 6, 2004, 11:20 PM
holy hell glad i dont visit that costco! Damn Irvine people.

Its all about Yorba Linda Costco for me! :D

Cal4D4
May 6, 2004, 11:23 PM
I cry BS. Tell me you wouldn't notice a 9mm round in a mouthful of food. I know it's a minor caliber, but let's get real! This one reeks.

Snowdog
May 6, 2004, 11:23 PM
Well, as my mother used to tell me when I was five years old: chew chew chew.

If she'd chew her food instead of swallowing mouthfuls whole, maybe that wouldn't be in her stomach... but perhaps it would anyway. See, I suspect there's a possibility it wasn't in any hotdog and someone who was goofing around got scared something they "ate" never passed.

Try telling your physician you ate a bullet just for kicks and see if he doesn't try to commit you.
It's a weird world out there, question everything.

buy guns
May 6, 2004, 11:25 PM
I cry BS. Tell me you wouldn't notice a 9mm round in a mouthful of food. I know it's a minor caliber, but let's get real! This one reeks.

thats what i was about to say. shes either bull????ting about it or incredibly stupid.

Gewehr98
May 6, 2004, 11:29 PM
Sounds like a pretty good way to test primer and bullet sealant. When she passes it, they should clean it and find out if it shoots ok. :D

HABU
May 6, 2004, 11:30 PM
found what appears to be a bullet lodged in her stomach :rolleyes: Lodged? sheesh.

hansolo
May 6, 2004, 11:37 PM
She's lucky it wasn't one of those Ninja nimchuck throwing stars:eek:

fjolnirsson
May 6, 2004, 11:45 PM
When she passes it, they should clean it and find out if it shoots ok.

EWW!

:barf: :what:

pittspilot
May 6, 2004, 11:47 PM
We will finally be able to prove that 9mm is a crap caliber.

firearms_instructor
May 6, 2004, 11:48 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

I guess old Fletcher had a point: "Nature will castigate those who don't masticate". Horace Fletcher, (1849-1919) evolved a system called Fletcherism, concerned chiefly with the slow mastication (chewing) of food.

Yes, kinda hard to believe someone could swallow a live 9mm round without noticing. I suppose it's possible if you really bolt your food down.

Lodged? Time for strong laxative, the lady's obviously full of sh*t.

dukeofurl
May 7, 2004, 12:00 AM
/begin recklessly stolen list of puns

Alright everyone, get your shots in
She doesn't need to sue, she's already loaded.
If I were the CEO of the hotdog company I'd be sweating bullets right about now.
Somebody's gonna get fired over this.
I don't want to jump the gun here, but it looks like she needs to watch what she eats.
I believe the story, this lady seems like a straight shooter.
I thought Costco was a higher caliber organization than that.
Yet another round of high-caliber lawsuits. They'll be shelling out the money in no time. As long as she doesn't get cocky, she might be able to hammer them. They'd be over a barrel.
Man, that hot dog company sure shot themselves in the foot.
Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet
I think the article is shallow, and has made a very hollow point.
It's kind of sad, really. I had a friend who bit the bullet this way.

Abominable No-Man
May 7, 2004, 12:59 AM
Well, they say truth is stranger than fiction.............

I don't buy it, tho..........

ANM

ocabj
May 7, 2004, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure she swallowed the round on purpose to drum up a fraudelent lawsuit. If I bite into anything hard in a hotdog, I'm spitting it out, not swallowing it.

Tom Bri
May 7, 2004, 02:38 AM
Bit into a sandwich once, it crunched. Hmm, cream cheese ain't supposed to crunch. Check bread, find part of a very large cockroach baked inside. He went clear through three slices! It was a long long time before I could eat cream cheese after that.

I don't believe this story about swallowing a 9mm.

crewchief
May 7, 2004, 02:45 AM
How much do you want to bet she was like 400lbs and was swallowing the hot dogs whole. Man oh man I tell you this is truly sad how low somebody will stoop to sue a company. There is no way no how this could have happened legitimately.

gunsmith
May 7, 2004, 02:50 AM
:D :cool: :evil:

killermarmot
May 7, 2004, 03:17 AM
I'm with the clean it and shoot it. could be <insert brand name>'s new slogan. Ammo so good it'll fire even after it comes out the other end. and that's no bulls$#%....lol couldn't help it

Wildalaska
May 7, 2004, 03:28 AM
How much do you want to bet she was like 400lbs and was swallowing the hot dogs whole

I think Kobayashi-san, that lithe yet determined 140lb Japanese hot dog eating champion, uses the swallowing whole technique

Now even assuming this story is true, its clear that the lady wont be harmed by the 9mm in her tummy...now if she would have eaten a bratwurst with a 45 acp in it, she would have been blown back 15 feet and died on the spot...

WildiateacockroachtoimpressathaibargirlonceandshewasimpressedwhenipukeditupalongwithabellyfullofmehkongwhiskeylaterAlaska

Treylis
May 7, 2004, 03:55 AM
Note how the story says

X-Rays Show What Appears To Be Bullet In Woman's Stomach...

"Reportedly", "appears to be"... I dunno about this. Sure, later in the story there's apparent confirmation by officers, but I can't imagine somebody eating a 9mm with a hot dog.

She says that she bit into it, and then swallowed anyways?

Uh-huh. We'll see.

Diamondback
May 7, 2004, 08:05 AM
"............apparently in an attempt not to be out done by 'Hebrew National', 'Oscar Myer' has decided to insert Claymores all of it's wieners."............full story at 11:00.

Diamondback
May 7, 2004, 08:05 AM
"............apparently in an attempt not to be out done by 'Hebrew National', 'Oscar Myer' has decided to insert Claymores all of it's wieners."............full story at 11:00.

d-mac
May 7, 2004, 08:12 AM
Get passed one 9MM in a hotdog and swallow. Did she not chew?

***, Unless this woman is a human vacuum, there is no way that she could get that past her mouth unless she bit then swallowed.

I hope that this is found out to be a crime of fraud. Also, try pushing 2 9mm into a cooked hotdog and see if you can't clearly see something is wrong. at most the dog is 2 times the diameter when raw.

Something is not right here!!!!

CannibalCrowley
May 7, 2004, 08:21 AM
If the rounds were actually in the hotdog, they were inserted after it left the factory because they go through a metal detector after processing. Personally I think she planted them herself in an attempt to make some money. That's a large, heavy object to swallow without noticing.

d-mac
May 7, 2004, 08:23 AM
thin woman. So we all know that she was chewing and I don't know anyone who doesn't chew a few times. Hell, don't feed me for days then throw me a nice tasty hot dog loaded with Ketchup and I will still chew a bit before a swallow.

Now hand me one when I am "3 sheets to" and that is another story......

TechBrute
May 7, 2004, 08:25 AM
I'm going to go outside now and raise the BS flag.:rolleyes:

MAURICE
May 7, 2004, 10:22 AM
/begin recklessly stolen list of puns

Alright everyone, get your shots in
She doesn't need to sue, she's already loaded.
If I were the CEO of the hotdog company I'd be sweating bullets right about now.
Somebody's gonna get fired over this.
I don't want to jump the gun here, but it looks like she needs to watch what she eats.
I believe the story, this lady seems like a straight shooter.
I thought Costco was a higher caliber organization than that.
Yet another round of high-caliber lawsuits. They'll be shelling out the money in no time. As long as she doesn't get cocky, she might be able to hammer them. They'd be over a barrel.
Man, that hot dog company sure shot themselves in the foot.
Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet
I think the article is shallow, and has made a very hollow point.
It's kind of sad, really. I had a friend who bit the bullet this way.

:D Groan.....

Kinsman
May 7, 2004, 11:51 AM
throw me a nice tasty hot dog loaded with Ketchup and I will still chew a bit before a swallow.

"Nobody, I mean nobody eats a hot dog with ketchup...."
-'Dirty' Harry Callahan

Nickotym
May 7, 2004, 11:54 AM
The x-rays are hard to read from the picture posted, but I would agree it is a thin woman. The "bullet lodged in the stomach" is off to the side quite a bit and looks like it is probably just a few centimeters under the skin. Smells like a bull barn if you ask me.

:)

Edited to make her a thin woman instead of think woman

45R
May 7, 2004, 01:07 PM
Highly unlikey to have swallowed a 9mm round and not know it.

There is a eating disorder called pica (Pica is the eating of non-food substances. Clay, dirt, ice, sand, animal feces, paint, and hairballs are just a few examples of what children and adults with pica have been known to eat.) which I would suspect could be an issue.

The BS meter is pegged on this one.

Devonai
May 7, 2004, 01:12 PM
What's the big deal? I eat a bowl of 9mm for breakfast with orange juice and toast.

Keep an eye on snopes.com, they may take on this story.

BeLikeTrey
May 7, 2004, 01:19 PM
Um hello, does she eat these raw?
I would think cooking would reveal the problem before it ever got to her mouth. especially in the microwave. ROFLMAO!! ZAP BANG!!
INSERT DOCTOR EVIL VOICE " I love a hot dog of that 'caliber' Frau! "

Gump
May 7, 2004, 02:07 PM
good point about the cooking.

I always though .22lr was the way to go on a hot dog:confused:

chrisinmo
May 7, 2004, 02:13 PM
I would not think that standard procedure when someone finds a foreign object in their food is to rush them to a hospital for Xrays! This looks like something that should be in the National Enquirer. Total BS if you ask me.

Abominable No-Man
May 7, 2004, 02:18 PM
That reminds me of a story I read in a gun magazine about stupid gun tricks.

There was a guy who went out shooting with his family once. They had a great time, and they were mostly shooting .22's. This guy was keeping a bunch of loose .22 LR ammo in a shirt pocket. It was the same shirt pocket that he kept his pipe in.

The day wound down, and he pulled out his pipe and loaded it up to smoke, and the pipe exploded when the tobacco burned down to the bullet that had lodged itself in the stem somehow. Fortunately the bullet was facing away from his mouth when it went off.

Now that I think about it, that one seems kind of far fetched, too.

ANM

Nickotym
May 7, 2004, 02:54 PM
I am fairly certain that the temps reached microwaving a hot dog are not enough to cook off a round, and I highly doubt the temps reached smnoking a pipe are either. Regardless, the bullet won't go anywhere, it is the case that will move.

Cameron Lamont
May 7, 2004, 03:06 PM
Where is the story from?

Where is is posted on the net?

The Onion?

C

HogRider
May 7, 2004, 03:57 PM
How to become a millionaire:

Swallow a 9mm bullet ( not that hard) and take one bullet with you.

Go and buy Hot dog.

Start eating (preferably in front of witnesses) and yell and show bullet was found in Hot dog. Tell everybody you think you already swallowed one.

Rush to Hospital where X- Ray is taken.

Call Cops and News Media.

Find trial lawyer (easy in Kalfornistan phone book).

Crap out swallowed bullet and save as evidence.

Sue store where bought, Hot dog manufacturer and ammo manufacturer for 10 million Dollars.

Settle for 5 Million.

Why didn't I come up with that first.

:rolleyes:

keano44
May 7, 2004, 04:34 PM
Although highly unlikely, lets assume there WAS a 9mm cartridge inside a hot dog. How could a thin woman (obvious from the x-ray) swallow this without noticing it?
Perhaps she was TRYING to swallow the hotdog whole; practicing her deep throat swallowing skills... hmmm? Is the secret to talented swallowers out?

Bainx
May 7, 2004, 04:36 PM
Note to myself: " Chew cartridges really well before swallowing!"

Selfdfenz
May 7, 2004, 04:55 PM
I still like my 9 even if this person took one in the gut and lived...................

I still like HN hotdogs too. They have'em at the hockey games and they are at the top of the heap as far as hotdogs go IMO.

This person wasn't even cleaver in trying to pull this kind of bogus, pre-law suit deal.

S-

gunsmith
May 7, 2004, 06:21 PM
sorry,I thought I posted it.
I got it from drudgereport.com yesterday.
http://www.local6.com/news/3274884/detail.html

4v50 Gary
May 7, 2004, 08:45 PM
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Snowdog's mom was right. Furthermore, a lady should not "wolf" (no pun intended) her food down like a guy. I once had the pleasure of scolding my coworker's daughter when she had choked on some food. Best of all, I did it in front of her boyfriend. :)

sm
May 7, 2004, 08:53 PM
Well that takes the mustard.

Bet that dawg was from a "value pack" .

Chili Dawgs Bark at Night - Lewis Grizzard

Does this mean condiments deaden primers?

I'll leave now...:D

Templehall
May 7, 2004, 09:21 PM
Looking at the xray, the round is located on the right side of the abdomen, down near the pelvic bone. The "stomach". in which this round is supposed to appear "lodged" is in the left upper portion of the abdomen.

The current location is most consistent with the colon. This leads me to conclude that this woman perpetrated this ruse as a simple conversation starter. After all, it's obvious she just wanted to shoot the *****.

BeLikeTrey
May 8, 2004, 08:14 AM
Temple! Good one !

Nickotym, Remember, no metal in microwave! Zap! (Arc and Bang)

Maybe this chic was watching "THE CROW" and decided to do a bullet shooter. Tequila (Milk of Amnesia as someone on here aptly put it) has been linked to Acute Stupidity Syndrome.

BluesBear
May 8, 2004, 09:09 AM
I saw this on the local news yesterday. It showed the x-ray with a cartridge shapped shadow. It also showed the one she bit into but didn't swallow.

Smells to me like a phony lawsuit waiting to happen.

Browns Fan
May 8, 2004, 09:20 AM
Lots-a BS flag wavers out there... after careful consideration, I must admit that I have eaten meals so fast that I couldnt tast them.

CZPreB
May 8, 2004, 02:46 PM
Reason #273 why reloading range pick-ups is a bad idea...

:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Woman Reportedly Bites Into Live Bullet In Hot Dog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!