New range coming to Louisville - Woo hoo!!

PDA

garrettwc
May 6, 2004, 11:36 PM
I came home tonight and when checking email, I found a course announcement from Tom Givens of Rangemaster. Inside that announcement was this little tidbit:

Combative Pistol Course in Louisville, Ky
Bluegrass Indoor Range
4402 Kiln Court, Louisville, Ky, 40218
Sat-Sun, August 28-29, 2004

Tom Givens, of Rangemaster, will be conducting an intensive two-day Combative
Pistol Course in Louisville, Ky, in August.

This range was formerly Ray's Indoor Range. New owners are completely
renovating the range, for a summer re-opening. We will be the first to offer
advanced training at this newly refurbished facility.

Has anyone heard about this? Since the name is the same, could it be by the same folks that opened the one in Lexington?

This is like 5 minutes from work. I'll try to do a drive by tomorrow and report back.

If you enjoyed reading about "New range coming to Louisville - Woo hoo!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kentucky Rifle
May 7, 2004, 12:25 AM
Jack Tilford told me that the folks who own the Lexington range are also looking to put a nice range in Louisville.
Keep yer fingers crossed!

KR

Logistar
May 7, 2004, 12:25 AM
That's about 10 minutes away from MY workplace! (I miss shooting during lunch!) Let me know what you find Garrettwc.

I was going to check out the new "downtown range" but the day I went by there I was too afraid to get out of the car! :what:

This might be GREAT news. I really liked the guys at Bluegrass Indoor Range in Lexington. (Keeping fingers crossed!)

Logistar

Kentucky Rifle
May 7, 2004, 12:29 AM
I was talking to a Cop and, after I told him where the downtown range was located, he was silent for a moment and then replied..."Hell, you'll need a gun just to GET there"!

KR

mrstang01
May 7, 2004, 05:43 AM
Oh man, I hope Wynn opens a range up here, but I'd think it would take a BUNCH of money to clean up that mess at Ray's old place, and get the ventilators working.

Ky Larry
May 7, 2004, 09:08 AM
The people at Blue Grass Indoor Range are super nice. I would drive to the 'ville for a good training class. Keep us posted.

Russ
May 7, 2004, 09:55 AM
Hope it happens. Keep me in the loop on this also. I would be very interested in a decent range opening up in Louisville. If anyone finds out a definite date for this, PM or E mail the rest of us. I think you probably have most of the Louisville contingent on this thread already.

Russ

Logistar
May 7, 2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah, KR, I REALLY try to be open minded about things. I was going through downtown and stopped off to just run inside and check out the place.

Well, there really isn't "anything else" near this place. But there were a few "suspicious" (I am trying to be nice here) people hanging around.... holding up light posts and sitting around on any available improvised "seat".

I was afraid they'd all get in a fight to decide which one would get the chance to mug me! I could just see me ending up having to draw (and then deal with that mess) or walk inside and return without any wheels on my vehicle or something.

Maybe I am just too paranoid! Has ANYONE here actually checked out the inside of the range in downtown Louisville? I think it is called "Sportshooters" but can't remember for sure.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Logistar

Ridgeway
May 7, 2004, 02:35 PM
Yeah, KR, I REALLY try to be open minded about things. I was going through downtown and stopped off to just run inside and check out the place.

Well, there really isn't "anything else" near this place. But there were a few "suspicious" (I am trying to be nice here) people hanging around.... holding up light posts and sitting around on any available improvised "seat".

I was afraid they'd all get in a fight to decide which one would get the chance to mug me! I could just see me ending up having to draw (and then deal with that mess) or walk inside and return without any wheels on my vehicle or something.

Maybe I am just too paranoid! Has ANYONE here actually checked out the inside of the range in downtown Louisville? I think it is called "Sportshooters" but can't remember for sure.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Logistar

I have a 3 month membership @ sportshooters.
I've been ~10 times or thereabouts. Not my fav. area of town, but I've yet to come out to find my car vandalized/missing wheels etc(its a bmw so a pretty decent car w/o any problems with the local thugs...), nor has anyone accosted me- perhaps they deem someone going to/fro a gun shop with a big black bag too dangerous? lol

Anyways, imo it beats driving an hour each way to KCR...

Inside everything is decent, not exactly superb but nothing falling down/looking in disrepair. The range has I think 7 lanes, marked on walls @ 7, 15, & 25 yards...

scromp
May 7, 2004, 03:42 PM
More affirmation for the Bluegrass Indoor Range in Lexington, great place full of good folks. Glad to see they're doing well enough to expand.

Kentucky Rifle
May 7, 2004, 04:11 PM
I'd like to make you aware of something.
If you have to shoot, well don't hesitate, but be VERY sure of the circumstances. The county prosecutor is a GUN OWNER and is also a big anti. (I've known this ass for 40 years.) He's promised to prosecute any CCW holder for MURDER if he uses his weapon...even in self defense.:mad:

KR

Russ
May 7, 2004, 04:45 PM
What a nice County Prosecutor. All the more reason to hope that no one sees you or can identify you so you can leave the scene before the cops come. Make sure no finger prints on the brass. Didn't this clown prosecute someone recently who got off due to self defense after spending every dime he had or ever will have on lawyers?

I don't vote in Jeff Co. but this guy would be on my list to be voted out and sent to the unemployment line. Might be a good campaign issue for an opponent.

Logistar
May 7, 2004, 05:43 PM
Ridgeway, THANKS for that report. Maybe it was "just a bad day" when I went. Maybe I should try it again. Not sure. And maybe you have a point. Messing with a guy going to a range might not seem like a great idea.

I've had a few minor "run-ins" with beggars downtown. I caught one sneaking up behind me after I didn't give him any money.... that got ugly but with lots of bystanders, he finally backed off. (That was pre-cell phone and CCW for me.)

The last time (it's been a while now) this guy starts basically making threats so I reached in my jacket, released my thumb-break (it was louder than I expected), and told him that if he INSISTED on me giving him something I would but he might not like it. He instantly said, "Have a nice day, Sir." (SIR?????) He made about three steps backward and turned and walked away.

- seems like I tend to bring out the worst in these guys. Maybe I need a "beggar management class" or something.

KR - I won't shoot unless I have no choice. I will just have to take my chances then. Part of my problem with our downtown range is that (as I just said) I seem to bring out the worst in these street guys which (I believe) increases my odds that I will have to use it. It's probably not worth the hassle for me.

garrettwc
May 7, 2004, 07:28 PM
OK, rolled over for a quick look see after work.

There is no signage up yet, but there are definite signs of activity. It was all locked up but I peered through the tinted glass as best I could. There were signs of construction/remodeling, tools about etc. Trash from lunch on the counter. The usual stuff you would expect to see at a construction site.

Carpet looks like it has had a cleaning and the walls and countertops look nice. Same color scheme and tops as before so more likely a good cleaning than anything else. Couldn't see into the shooting lanes themselves due to the darkness, but looks like glass has been cleaned or replaced. Even in the dark it didn't have that foggy yellowed tint it had before.

I'll try to get by there periodically and post progress in this thread. If anyone happens to go down to the one in Lexington, could you ask if it is the same company opening up the one in Louisville?

BluesBear
May 8, 2004, 09:24 AM
That's great news. When that range on Kiln Court was built as Sportshooters, it was a masterpiece. One of the original three partners was a nationally known HVAC designer. It was cited as being one of the best ranges in the country. The only things wrong were that the "combat" lanes in Room 3 never worked properly from day 1, and that the so called bulletproof glass wasn't. I watched it being installed (I was the original manager of Sportshooters) it was just plain old safety glass.

There was a nice pro-shooting report done by one of the big sports guys from WAVE-TV3 during the grand opening.

The last time I was at Ray's Indoor was the end of May 1999 and it was looking pretty shabby. Hellsbells it was a MESS! I don't think Ray ever spent a dime on maintaining anything. I just wanted to cry every time I saw it.

I'm glad to see the old girl rise from the ashes. I'm sure the people from Bluegrass will do it right. I have a lot of fond memories from that time.

Y'all enjoy it.

Ridgeway
May 11, 2004, 06:35 PM
took this quick pic while @ the range today, for those wondering what it was like from the line
not a great quality pic, but you get the idea of whats there from where your shooting :)

kwelz
May 11, 2004, 10:11 PM
Sweet! We need to have a THR (dang I almost said TFL) meet there for the local people when they open :D

Logistar
May 11, 2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks Ridgeway! Actually looks pretty good. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks as if the lighting is better than I was used to.

mrstang01
May 12, 2004, 12:19 AM
I'm up for a meet.

garrettwc
May 27, 2004, 07:39 PM
Things are coming along. I was there day before yesterday and the warning signs were up. The guys in the hazmat suits were cleaning all the old lead residue out of the range and carting it off.

No signage up about an opening date yet though. Construction pace should pick up once they have satisfied the EPA.

Bill from Louisville
May 28, 2004, 09:15 AM
Sportshooter's Range is owned by a very nice lady who is actually Ray's ex wife. He still works the counter when he can. IMHO it is set up strictly to set up memberships. YOu have to have a CCW liscense or watch a safety video before you can shoot. I shot the first time down there and signed up at the lowest level membership $20.00 i think and it cost me about $30 for an hours worth of shootin. A bit steep i know but if you shoot weekly i think it would be fine, I however dont have the time to shoot weekly and actually prefer to shoot target outdoor, i'm a plinker at heart.

Range is for the .45 and the Keltec P32.

Another range would be great i think to. THe more the Merrier.

Cheers

Bill

garrettwc
June 19, 2004, 07:00 PM
No construction updates or an opening date yet.

I did however confirm today that this range is the same group that opened Bluegrass Range in Lexington. So those of you who are members down there can give us an idea what we can expect.

Kris
July 23, 2004, 03:27 PM
Any updates?

scromp
July 23, 2004, 09:46 PM
I'm in Lexington and while I'm not a member out at Bluegrass, I go there pretty frequently. They're all real nice, helpful, friendly guys and always professional. They put a lot of work into the one here and did a good job from what I can tell. It's a good range.

garrettwc
July 26, 2004, 02:36 PM
Been busy for a couple of days so haven't been by there. Cruised through early last week and no changes. Still under construction.

I have business in the neighborhood tonight so I will try to check then.

mrstang01
July 28, 2004, 09:27 PM
You find anything out garretwc?

garrettwc
July 28, 2004, 10:02 PM
Sorry, thought I had already posted.

I went over last night to check it out. No exterior changes yet. I peered through the tinted glass as best I could. Still signs of work going on, but they look to be at the point where the changes won't be so easily visible.

AFAIK, the 2-day class with Tom Givens is still on schedule for mid-August so it's getting down to do or die time.

I'll keep checking when I can and try to post.

Derby FALs
July 29, 2004, 02:55 AM
I'll be looking forward to shooting on Kiln Ct. again. Ray's place downtown is OK in the daytime and great for someone with a long lunch that is looking for some practice shooting.

powertoast
August 14, 2004, 11:05 AM
I called the Bluegrass Indoor Range in Lexington today (8/14/04) and interrogated them about the new indoor range in Lville. They will be opening it in "a few weeks", but don't know exactly when.

The guy on the phone, whose name I didn't get, was very nice and was happy to have an inquiry from Louisville. He anticipates that they will be conducting IDPA, and fortunately they'll be selling guns at the location. I need a new place to buy my toys. :)

Call them in Lexington at 859.225.0333 to get on a mailing list for info on the Louisville range.

best regards

garrettwc
August 16, 2004, 01:56 AM
powertoast, thanks for the follow up. I haven't been able to cruise by and check progress for several days.

Tom Givens is holding a 2 day class there on the 28th-29th, and that is still on schedule so I would say a few weeks is about right.

Logistar
August 16, 2004, 09:26 PM
I drove by there a couple of days ago (Friday 13th of August) and I couldn't tell anything had changed (although I didn't "look in" or anything).

Ray's sign is still up. Otherwise I saw no signs of activity.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Ky Gun Geek
August 21, 2004, 05:10 PM
Gents:

Just wanted to give you an update about the re-opening of the range on Kiln Court.

First, a little background on me - I'm the president of the IDPA club that shoots at the Bluegrass Indoor Range in Lexington. The club name is Central Kentucky Sport Shooters (www.ckss.org). We have been on operation about 9 months. I have been shooting at BGIR for about a year and a half. I have also been pulled into a few taskes related to getting the new range open.

I was there early last week. The place is still pretty gutted, but If you have ever done a construction project, you know that things look terrible until the last minute. They were working on the lights and hanging the cieling tiles when I was ther.

My efforts that day were in hanging new baffles and putting together the bullet trap in one of the bays. We got the baffles done and about 75% of the bullet trap. One other bay was already operational. There is a 3rd bay, but there are no plans to open it now - it is empty.

From my discussions with the mangement, they are still shooting for the 28th to have the Givens class.

Now I have a question - Would you guys be interested in participating in IDPA at that range? I have been asked to help get the club started, so I wanted to do a little market research. Likely we will shoot on Sunday evenings. Just put a post up here - I will check regularly.

If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM. See you soon!

garrettwc
August 23, 2004, 12:21 AM
Ky Gun,

Welcome to the High Road, and thanks for the inside info.

Would these be weekly or monthly matches? With kids in school Sunday nights are a little hectic around the house getting ready for the coming week. However, I would be interested in participating.

One suggestion, Polite Society (http://thecurmudgeon.freeservers.com/ps/)

These are great learning experiences as well as matches. Tactics and surviving factor into the scoring.

Ky Gun Geek
August 23, 2004, 10:42 AM
Garrett:

These would be monthly matches - to start with anyway. There is simply too many other events going on to make this weekly - I like to go places where I can shoot and not worry about making sure the targets are set right ;)

If this thing gets going, the I hope there are local members who will take over and run things. Who knows what happens then.

The choice of Sunday night is driven by the reality of shooting in a for-profit range. Management does NOT want to shut down the range for league shooting when there are paying customers in the house, so we have to get a time when they are closed. In Lexington the range closes at 4:00 on Sunday, so we shoot 4:00 - 7:30. The other option is during the week to shoot late in the evening (say 8:00 - 11:30)

We tried Polite Society in Lexington and ran into some problems. It boils down to PS being too hard for new shooters, and it is a little too realistic - kinda gives people the willies. The other thing about PS is that it is very non 9mm friendly. Other than standards, ALL the targets in PS are reactive (not paper) and are set up where you have to hammer them with 2 or 3 rounds to get them to fall. 9 shooters, especially new ones, have a very tough time putting the targets down.

Having said that, if we get a good group together, I'd love to try just about anything!

garrettwc
August 23, 2004, 02:23 PM
We tried Polite Society in Lexington and ran into some problems. It boils down to PS being too hard for new shooters, and it is a little too realistic - kinda gives people the willies.

One man's problem is another man's opportunity as the saying goes. That realism is part of the appeal for me. It's an additional training tool.

The other thing about PS is that it is very non 9mm friendly. Other than standards, ALL the targets in PS are reactive (not paper) and are set up where you have to hammer them with 2 or 3 rounds to get them to fall.

I haven't really seen that, but I shoot multiple rounds regardless of caliber. Again to each his own.

The times you mention on Sunday would be workable. 4PM is early enough that I could go shoot and still have time to get home and get some things done.

Kris
August 24, 2004, 02:56 PM
I may very well be interested. I am a newbie and would probably come out an observe at least once before trying it.

Thanks for the info...

Kris
August 30, 2004, 02:32 PM
Just wondering if things got finished for the Tom Givens class this past weekend?

Is it open?

--Kris

mrstang01
August 30, 2004, 03:36 PM
I just talked to Wynn this weekend, they are running a bit behind, due to the delays from getting the old setup cleaned out.

I told him there were a bunch of us getting anxious to have a really nice range, and he's appreciative of that.

Again, SUPER nice guy.

scromp
September 15, 2004, 09:56 AM
Well, dangit, Bluegrass Range in Lexington burnt down yesterday.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/9666440.htm

Grf. :(

garrettwc
September 15, 2004, 03:54 PM
I was getting ready to post an update about the Louisville range when I heard about the Lexington one burning down. :(

From Louisville:

Bluegrass Range sign is up on the building.

Sign in the window says opening in mid-October.

Don't know if that schedule will hold after what happened yesterday.

Kris
September 16, 2004, 02:31 PM
bummer :-(

Logistar
September 16, 2004, 06:48 PM
My sister called and told me about the Bluegrass Range in Lexington. I really liked that place too!

Garrettwc, I went by and saw the same sign today that said that the Louisville Range would open in Mid-October.

Also, possibly of interest to all your guys in Louisville....

I went by Galyon's today in the Oxmoor Mall. They told me that they were selling out all their guns and were being taken over by (I THINK they said "Dick's Sporting Goods"). They are only selling what they have. They won't be getting any more according to the salesman. - No discounts or anything AFAIK. Just thought you might want to know.

Anyway, they said they thought that they would no longer sell guns there.

FWIW
Logistar

mrstang01
September 16, 2004, 07:27 PM
I think that's a DSG policy, I'd heard that before, they don't like that Galyon's sells handguns.

I talked to Wynn last week, he said they would be open mid October, but were shooting for earlier. Don't know how the Lex fire will impact that.

garrettwc
September 16, 2004, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I saw that coming about Galyan's too. Truthfully, they never wanted to sell guns in the first place. That was the original plan. One of the first guys they had as hunting dept. manager told me he talked them into it by showing them his sales receipts from the store he used to work at.

I went in their to look a few times. You just about had to kiss the ring of whomever was working to even look at one.

On a better note, at least for my side of the river, the old River Falls Mall is being renovated now that Lazarus and Wal-Mart have moved out. It's going to be a huge Bass Pro Shops. Hopefully, it will be like the ones I have visited in other states. Indoor range, good deals on ammo, etc.

mrstang01
September 16, 2004, 11:06 PM
Wow, hadn't heard Bass Pro was coming, that's great!

PinnedAndRecessed
September 17, 2004, 01:55 AM
I remember Rays. I used to shoot there when I was living in southern Indiana. Almost bought an Uzi from him.

He's no longer in business? Where'd he go?

Ridgeway
September 17, 2004, 12:19 PM
I remember Rays. I used to shoot there when I was living in southern Indiana. Almost bought an Uzi from him.

I never shot @ Ray's old place, but there is a Ray(& I assume it's the same guy, & I think people have stated that...) over @ Sportshooters Indoor Range downtown...

garrettwc
September 17, 2004, 01:34 PM
MrStang, yup. No public announcement, but coming soon signs up all over the place here, and construction has started.

Ridgeway, you are correct. The Ray downtown is the same guy. I believe the downtown range is run by his wife or ex-wife. There is an old thread on here somewhere about it.

PinnedAndRecessed
September 17, 2004, 09:15 PM
"but there is a Ray(& I assume it's the same guy, & I think people have stated that...) over @ Sportshooters Indoor Range "

I left the area around 1989. Until then it was just "Ray's Guns." He and his wife also hit all of the area shows.

He had some good stuff. Class 3, too.

garrettwc
October 12, 2004, 08:37 AM
Or at least that's what my email says.

Scouting mission planned for later today. I'll post more details when I have them.

powertoast
October 12, 2004, 09:31 AM
They are open. I'm heading over when they open today (Tues 10/12/04) and will report my findings.

-----------------

Ok, I'm back. It is in fact operational, but just barely. No paint on the walls, floor not finished, lighting not completed, etc. No firearms are for sale yet, as the security system isn't installed. But the range bays are all new, and unlike the old Ray's, everything works. Ventilation seems top notch, with a slight breeze blowing downrange. I brought out a Springfield mil-spec 1911, CZ nickle 75B .40, and Kahr P9, each of which functioned perfectly. 150 rounds in 30 minutes. $8.06 including a target. Not a bad way to start the week. I'm hoping for decent prices when gun sales begin. They will also sell on consignment. Lady owner (didn't get her name) was friendly and didn't act like she was doing me a favor to let me shoot there. No complaints, except that I would have dropped $400 on a Ruger GP-100 if they had been selling.

best regards

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/x1.jpg

garrettwc
October 12, 2004, 02:01 PM
Follow up to powertoast, I went over at noon.

Manager from the Lexington store was there. He walked me around and gave me the grand tour. My overall impression of the readiness of the place is the same as p-toast. If they complete everything they have planned it will be a great place. It's already pretty good.

They do have some guns for sale. They managed to get several pistols out of the building in Lexington before it burned. The guns are 100% but no manual, no box, only 1 mag. Mostly they are Glocks of every shape and caliber. $450 was what he quoted me if anyone is looking for a deal.

Plans are to have Kentucky CCW, NRA classes, and self defense/combatives from their instructors and traveling instructors like Tom Givens of Rangemaster.

No requirement to buy from them. You can bring your own targets and ammo. If you have a Lexington membership it is good at Louisville and vice versa.

Once they get the showroom/lobby finished and stocked their will be a good variety of rental guns so you can try before you buy.

Pay em a visit High Roaders.

P.S. I have no affiliation with the range. I am just excited about having a place to shoot nearby.

scromp
October 12, 2004, 02:25 PM
When they first opened here in Lexington they were selling the few long guns they had at cost. They got them as part of a package grand opening sort of deal and were not really interested in being in that business in any meaningful way. Just something for you guys to keep an eye out for up there in L'ville in case it happens again.

Ridgeway
October 12, 2004, 04:21 PM
whats the address of this place...may have to check it out tomarrow...

last winter no indoor range, and 2 this year...very good year, just to decide which to go to know lol

edit:
quick question, if either of you whom went know...
1) IIRC the range in lexington had an age req of 21, is this the same in louisville?

powertoast
October 12, 2004, 05:15 PM
Go here > http://www.bluegrassrange.com and there is a link to a map.

As for age requirement, I saw today that it was posted but didn't pay attention to what it said.

best regards

garrettwc
October 12, 2004, 05:19 PM
Ridgeway, the location is in Ray's old building Kiln Ct. Newburg Rd/Bishop Ln industrial complex.

For those of you that used to visit the old range located there, you won't recognize it. Even with the interior finish work only partly done, the difference is like night and day vs. the dark, dingy, rundown place it had become.

I'm not sure how the age limit works exactly. Under 17 must be with an adult(and shares the same lane for free), but 17-21 wasn't discussed. Ask them when you get there.

scromp
October 12, 2004, 05:22 PM
4402 Kiln Court.

They do indeed have a 21+ rule, I assume since it's the same people running the place the rules will be the same, but I have not been to the Louisville location.

http://bluegrassrange.com/

hnm201
October 12, 2004, 08:08 PM
I went to the Bluegrass Range location on Kiln Court in Louisville today. It was well lit and well ventilated. I did read the posted requirements and yes, there is a requirement of 21 years of age or accompanied by legal guardian. No offense to you Scromp but I do appreciate that they have this requirement.

Ridgeway
October 12, 2004, 08:34 PM
thx for response...guess I'll be sticking to sharpshooters for the next 16 months then :(

BluesBear
October 13, 2004, 07:26 AM
It's great to see the old place restored back to it's former glory.

For those of you who only knew it as Ray's you're in for a treat.

For those of us who knew it when it originally opened as Sportshooters in 1982 going to Ray's was a certainly a letdown.

Hopefully when I get healed I can go back home for a visit and check out the new place.

scromp
October 13, 2004, 11:54 AM
No offense to me? I'm 30! I was just answering a question..

If you enjoyed reading about "New range coming to Louisville - Woo hoo!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!