Attn: All Iowa members-CCW legislation

PDA

IAJack
February 9, 2003, 09:14 AM
Hello all

Some of you might know me already others may not. I was a long time TFl member as well as serveral other boards and now help run things over at Gun-Talk.

Besides the main topic below, be sure to contact me or list your info here if you are from around here. A couple times a year a large number of us get together at my local range and have a shoot and BBQ. We have members from Illinois and Missouri show too, it is just alot of pro-gun fun!

On the main topic listed we Iowans need to stick together as to not turn into Illinois (no offense Illini). February 21 is the final day that a legislator can submit a bill draft request to the Legislative Service Bureau.

Duane Brown for those not familier with his work has been working very hard to try to get a shall issue bill atleast brought up. Although with our current Gov it is slim, there are powers in numbers. Now is the time to e-mail, write, and or call your legislators and the governor to ask for a right to carry law in Iowa.

You can find the e-mail link, plus the mailing addresses and telephone numbers to your legislators and the governor on the Iowa General Assembly Homepage at http://www.legis.state.ia.us/

More information can be found on the CCW4IOWA HOMEPAGE at http://www.webspawner.com/users/ccw4iowahomepage/index.html

As a demonstration of the popular support for right to carry, you might also reference the CCW4IOWA Petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/CCW4IOWA/petition.html

Right to carry is on the Iowa Republican Party Platform, which was drafted in 2002. Let’s remind our Republican legislators of that, and let’s tell our Democrat legislators that it is a good idea for them, too. After all, SF2289, the right to carry bill of 1998, was a bipartisan bill introduced by Republican Steve King and cosponsored by Democrat Dick Dearden, among others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attn: All Iowa members-CCW legislation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hawkeye755
February 9, 2003, 11:34 AM
Glad to meet another Iowan here Jack

I have been doing a bit of lobbying with a local LEO Association here in the last few weeks. The guy I spoke to didn't sound too keen on trying to get a lot of support together for a bill like that this year, but I think I can bring him around. He didn't seem to think that any bill that got through the Legislature would make it past Vilsack and, unfortunately, I think he is right. Vilsack has nothing to loose be vetoing it because he is not going for re-election so, we may have to wait until the next election and start there.

I will let you know if I have any success with the Association.

JeremyIA
February 9, 2003, 05:52 PM
I'm new here and I'm an Iowan. I live out in Sioux City. Good to be among good folks. Do any of you visit Iowa Whitetail?

Looks like it's time to write the politicians a letter. Where in Iowa is everyone from? I'm taking a week off in March. If the weather is nice, maybe we should all meet up.

Is anyone here a member of the Iowa Sportsmen's Federation?

IAJack
February 9, 2003, 07:31 PM
I am from Oskaloosa, S. Cent Iowa

I am also an ISF member, they are working hard on shall issue CCW also

12-34hom
February 9, 2003, 08:56 PM
Howdy, 12-34hom here, i live and work in northeastern Ia.

12-34hom.

sturmruger
February 9, 2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up Jack!!! I am down in Eddyville, let me know when that BBQ is. I think I woudl enjoy attending something like that.

JeremyIA
February 9, 2003, 09:37 PM
www.iowawhitetail.com

:D

Rembrandt
February 9, 2003, 10:25 PM
That Jeremy fellow sounds familiar, heehee.....Rembrandt is just north of Des Moines...

Hawkeye is right, you got a snow balls chance in haiti of ever seeing Vilsack sign it....he vetoed the Dove Bill after a lot of hard work getting it through both the house and senate....I think it takes a 2/3 majority to overide his veto.

Hawkeye755
February 9, 2003, 11:03 PM
Wow there are more of herer than I thought. I am in Eastern IA.

Glad to see it. You will have to pardon my ignorance, but what is the Iowa Sportsman Federation? I don't believe that I have ever heard of it.

Rembrandt
February 10, 2003, 06:16 AM
http://www.iowasportsmen.com/ .....it's the most effective lobbying group for hunting & gun rights in Iowa.

IAJack
February 10, 2003, 07:50 AM
Doesn't matter if we really get it past Vilsack-O-**** or not, the idea is atlest keeping it fresh in out Reps minds as some are there yr after yr. Also there are quite a few Dems in favor of this and you should also remind them that neighboring states like MO. MN. and NE have CCW bills in the works.

BTW our annual BBQ is a fun deal and a great chance to get together with other like minded ppl instead of just the shotgunner crowd found at the local trap range. Last yr my friends with their Class 3 dealer lisc. brought up a .50 BMG and several MG's for everyone to shoot. As well as the reactive tannerite targets!

Saftey is number one amoung our group, but FUN is a close 2nd!

mothernatureson
February 10, 2003, 10:59 AM
hi fellow iowans, i live in waterloo. shoot mostly blackpowder and hunt with blackpowder too. I was disappointed with Vilsack and the dove bill a couple of years ago, many folks on both sides of the aisle against it, even though there is sound science in support of it. It is a passionate debate, i trek to nebraska each fall to hunt doves. man, are you in for a lot of fun , shooting at those little speed demons! and grilled over charcoal, they are delicious!

If you enjoyed reading about "Attn: All Iowa members-CCW legislation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!