Two Thousand Mom March

PDA

Pappy John
May 9, 2004, 05:22 PM
I just heard about the "great" turnout for the MMM ralley in D.C. today. Hurray! Maybe they'll hit two hundred next year.

If you enjoyed reading about "Two Thousand Mom March" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
May 9, 2004, 05:23 PM
Source?

Pappy John
May 9, 2004, 05:26 PM
NPR. A short blurb. If there had been a big turnout the story would have been much longer.

Given the source, the turnout was probably actually less than that.:neener:

XLMiguel
May 9, 2004, 05:32 PM
One of rh SAFER folks walked over to the MMM site and said it was about 6-700 people there around 1 PM. He said kids out numbered the 'mommies' 2/1. FWIW

CrudeGT
May 9, 2004, 05:50 PM
They need to change their name to A FMS, A Few Mom's Strolling... hehe

Sisco
May 9, 2004, 05:53 PM
So only two thousand showed up.
Hmmm.
Whens the last time two thousand or even just one thousand gun owners rallied in DC to support RKBA?

4v50 Gary
May 9, 2004, 06:03 PM
The "Million" in Million Mom March is in name only. Somehow they're only 998,000 off their mark.

Barbara
May 9, 2004, 06:09 PM
Sisco's got it, though. Last time there were tens of thousands (or more) of them, and a few thousand of us. This time a couple thousand of them and a couple hundred of us. Even granting them having their way paid, being in a liberal area, etc..they still outnumber us most days.

RadikalRednek
May 9, 2004, 06:26 PM
(Reference Art's post, below.)

molonlabe
May 9, 2004, 06:47 PM
Who says there's no bias in the media. Do a google search on million moms and then second amendment sisters or second amendment for all and compare.

We are not getting the message out, there coming for them guys.

Standing Wolf
May 9, 2004, 07:47 PM
Somehow they're only 998,000 off their mark.

Close enough for leftist extremists.

El Tejon
May 9, 2004, 07:59 PM
Maybe those 2K mommies could help bring up empty brass or help hose the blood off D.C. sidewalks and learn how well "gun control" works to construct a violence free petting zoo.:rolleyes:

TimRB
May 9, 2004, 08:05 PM
With all due respect (well, none actually) I find the "modified" MMM button extremely distasteful and counterproductive.

Tim

:), Art

Art Eatman
May 9, 2004, 08:27 PM
No offense, RadikalRednek, but one of the deals here is to consider the fence-sitters. Not much can be done about full-fledged Antis, but there's no point to us supporting the Antis' propaganda-notion that we're a bunch of uncaring Neanderthals.

Just part of "Promote RKBA". You don't "promote" by turning people off to your message...

:), Art

SodaPop
May 9, 2004, 08:31 PM
I just checked in to THR to find out if what I heard on the radio was correct. I heard them say that there were only 168 people in one area and most of them were organizers.

Apparently, most soccer moms have something else to worry about.:D

Archie
May 9, 2004, 08:40 PM
I don't get to public demonstrations much.

For one thing, I live in the SoCal area, so a quick jaunt to Washington DC is not on my schedule.

For another thing, I have a full time job, and I need to stick around and take care of business.

I think this is the primary difference between conservative and liberal "activists". Conservatives have jobs and responsibilities.

pdt203
May 9, 2004, 09:04 PM
I heard the Second Amendment Sisters were going to be there. Anyone heard the numbers from it?

Johnny in Huntsville

bbrins
May 9, 2004, 09:35 PM
I think this is the primary difference between conservative and liberal "activists". Conservatives have jobs and responsibilities.

That's about what I was going to say. Right now I can't afford to take off of work, I am trying to be responsible and pay off my debts.

That's not to say that I don't do other things like calling legislators, sending letters, emails(weekly), faxes,etc. I also make donations to gun rights organizations whenever I have some leftover cash at the end of the month.

To those who went,
Thank you.

Ironbarr
May 9, 2004, 09:44 PM
http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=1851670

Gary H
May 9, 2004, 09:45 PM
I'm amazed that ABC radio news pointed out that the turnout for the anti-moms was "modest" and they reported on The Second Amendment Sister's counter demonstration. They didn't even denigrate the Sister's gathering. One of the Sisters made it clear that they had a right to defend themselves ...ON ABC RADIO.. Wow.. I couldn't believe it.

Don't know how many at the counter rally, but I'm sure it will be posted:

http://www.2asisters.org/SAFER/index.html

TechBrute
May 9, 2004, 09:50 PM
I'd gladly send my stay-at-home wife out to an RKBA rally. :D

c_yeager
May 9, 2004, 10:29 PM
Sisco's got it, though. Last time there were tens of thousands (or more) of them, and a few thousand of us. This time a couple thousand of them and a couple hundred of us. Even granting them having their way paid, being in a liberal area, etc..they still outnumber us most days.

I think the problem is that most of the PRO-RKBA types have JOBS and even those that can get away for a demonstration are good enough parents to NOT drag their kids to the cesspool that is Washington DC.

MPFreeman
May 9, 2004, 10:45 PM
I'm not going back to DC for demostrations or whatever.

I stay out of the Basement of outhouses too.

MeekandMild
May 9, 2004, 10:55 PM

I know one of the key players in MMM in the deep south. She is the never-worked-for-40 years wife of a millionaire. She is involved in lots of other really deep intellectually stimulating activities like the women's auxillary at their country club. She seems to enjoy media attention, seems to show up at Mardi Gras events and sports events and other places where she can get her name in the papers. She is a bona fide parasite.

craig
May 9, 2004, 11:30 PM
there is a certain twisted logic here. gun control good, 2000 equals 1,000,000. to them it adds up.:neener: must be the new math.craig

Marshall
May 9, 2004, 11:31 PM
Let me know if you need another sister. My wife will do whatever I tell her whenever I tell her to do it. Not!

:neener:

Ironbarr
May 10, 2004, 12:25 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119415,00.html

Harry Tuttle
May 10, 2004, 12:38 AM
tonights new math question

In 2000, the MMM claimed to have 750,000 supporters in DC
They actually had 120,000 people at the rally

In 2004, they claimed to have 2000 supporters in DC

How many people were actually there?

On the TV tonight, they said the 2000 number was important because the attendies were activists

shep854
May 10, 2004, 09:23 AM
I'm unclear; does the 2000 include the kids? If so, how many adults were there. Also, did they include the pro-gun demonstrators?

ScottS
May 10, 2004, 09:38 AM
Two interesting points:

1. The anti "talking points" are very consistent. You can't hear an anti talking about the AWB expiring without hearing about "Uzi's and AK-47's." It's always "Uzi's and AK-47's." Not AR-15's (unless it's part of a specific reference to the Bushie XM-15 the DC snipers used), or FAL's, or anything else. It's like they're all actually reading from the same piece of paper. "Always mention the Uzi and AK-47, as this invokes the most fear..."

2. This guy Nick Wilcox is mentioned in both the ABC and AP reports. They're shoving this guy to the front of the line pretty often, and when you hear his story, his daughter was killed with a 9mm handgun with a 30 round mag. And, I'm betting she wasn't killed with rounds 29 and 30. Not only are they reaching for "applicable stories" for the AWB, but if I had my way, all bad guys would be required to use 30 rnd POS mags in their handguns, as most jam after the first few rounds anyway.

BTW, they didn't reach a million in the first march, either, but then you can call yourself anything you want in this country, I guess.

Scott

Bubbles
May 10, 2004, 10:56 AM
shep - I was at the SAS event. We were nowhere near the Mommies' rally for John Kerry, except for small groups who wandered over to eyeball 'em. So, their 2000 number didn't include the pro-gunners.

They had 2000 total, including kids in strollers. Activists? I'd bet on a few dozen at most.

Given that the AWB sunsets eighteen weeks from today, and the fact that they probably spent millions on this (I'm trying to run down a hard number), a turnout of 2000 is abysimal for them.

BluesBear
May 10, 2004, 11:07 AM
She told the crowd that she doesn't want to march again on Mother's Day in calling for the ban to be made permanent. Good for her. Next year she can stay home and take care of her son.

armoredman
May 10, 2004, 11:13 AM
But again, how many turned out at the SAS outing, and how many news groupd actually covered it?:(

Evil_Ed
May 10, 2004, 11:18 AM
Ok, noone's said it yet so I feel the need to PUNish you...

"I guess the MMM was a 'bust' then??"

RadikalRednek
May 10, 2004, 02:49 PM
Quote - "No offense, RadikalRednek, but one of the deals here is to consider the fence-sitters. Not much can be done about full-fledged Antis, but there's no point to us supporting the Antis' propaganda-notion that we're a bunch of uncaring Neanderthals.

Just part of "Promote RKBA". You don't "promote" by turning people off to your message...

, Art"

None taken. Didn't mean to offend anyone either. My sincere apologies.

shep854
May 10, 2004, 04:46 PM
Bubbles, you get a big "ATTA GIRL" for making the effort to go to DC and make a stand!

However, I wouldn't put it past the media to use a little "editorial license" and go with a simple count, no matter which side you're on.

MikeK
May 10, 2004, 04:56 PM
armoredman; But again, how many turned out at the SAS outing, and how many news groupd actually covered it

I was there also. The Washington Post, in the three paragraphs they deveted to the SAS rally, in their 2K MMM story estimated ~65.

I'm not good at estimating crowds, but we certainly had over 100, perhaps closer to 200. I have no idea who most of the people were but:

There were at lleast 12 SAS state coordinators and other 'officials'
At least a dozen speakers including Ms. teen New Mexico
I knew another 16 people from MD groups
I met another 8 THR members (including families)

That's 49 including myself and there were a lot more than 16 people that I didn't know.

Local ABC and CBS mentioned both on the 6:00 and 11:00 news yesterday. CBS devoted about 90% of the segment to the 2K moms. ABC was more balanced - 60/40 maybe. I didn't time them.

I mentioned the washington post article today. Sadly, The Washington Times didn't even mention the SAS rally in their 2K mom article.

Not a great turnout for either side. This could have been a great opportunity for us to outnumber them.

Jayman
May 10, 2004, 06:38 PM
I was at the SAS gathering, brought two women and a child with me! (Can't accuse me of not bein' there.)

I would guess we saw less than 200 folks there the entire time. There were plenty of news crews wandering around doing interviews, but I have yet to see anything about it.

Later in the day I wandered over to the West Capitol Lawn, where the MMM thing was going on. If there were 2k people there, I'd be shocked. Maybe 1500, but the event was BIG. They had cordoned off a large area, and had all sorts of people speaking. When I wandered up, it was Doug E. Fresh talking about the love and hiphop and stoppin' the violence.

The MMM seemed much more racially diverse, which I found darkly humorous. Given the fact that the first gun control legislation in this country was started to keep guns out of the hands of blacks and immigrants, it seems odd that they'd line up for more today. (Somebody done sold them up the river.)

Sorry more of you guys weren't out there. I know it was DC and DC stinks, but a bigger turnout would've been nice. Ted Neugent's wife spoke, as did many of the SAS coordinators. I did see the president of the VCDL, as well as at least one other competitive shooter. (I forget the guy's name, he's light years better than I am. I think he's a pro.)

I think the big reason for the disparity is that it is easy to get wrapped up emotionally in something and do no research. Most anti-gunners don't know much about their chosen issue.

Most pro-gunners however, know a good bit of info, and some are practically quasi-lawyers. (Got to be to stay legal in this quagmire of legislation.) So given the fact that the price of admission to "legal gun owner" is by necessity higher, you won't see as many of us. :(

Daedalus
May 10, 2004, 06:42 PM
So who wants to join my new gun rights organization, the 10-billion-million-jillion-skillion gun owners march? :neener:

shep854
May 10, 2004, 06:49 PM
I linked to the CNN article/poll in the "Clobber this poll" thread, and it said that there were "several hundred" people at the pro-gun rally. I double-checked the site, but yep, it was CNN. Will wonders never cease?:what:

Michigander
May 10, 2004, 10:17 PM
article (http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=%5CCulture%5Carchive%5C200405%5CCUL20040510b.html)

Attendance Down for Anti-Gun Million Mom March
By Robert B. Bluey
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
May 10, 2004

Washington (CNSNews.com) - It was business as usual in the nation's capital on Sunday despite the presence of the anti-gun Million Mom March, which drew only 2,000 people, a fraction of the number expected to attend.

The rally was billed as the kickoff to the "Halt the Assault" tour, a nationwide campaign to renew the so-called "assault weapons" ban, which expires in September.

The Million Mom March, which merged with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in 2001, had expected as many as 5,000 people at its Capitol Hill gathering. About 2,000 attended, according to the Associated Press.

As the event got under way Sunday, the crowd was more likely in the hundreds rather than the thousands. It was nowhere near the 500,000-750,000 people who reportedly attended the first anti-gun rally on Mother's Day in 2000.

Several blocks away, several hundred supporters of the Second Amendment Sisters gathered for their own rally. Speakers stressed the need to guard their Second Amendment rights, especially during an election year.

The race between President Bush and presumptive Democrat nominee John Kerry was a topic at both events. Volunteers from the Kerry campaign canvassed the Million Mom March looking for supporters. Many attendees donned "Women for Kerry" stickers.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson was one of several political figures to attend the event. His address touched on anti-war themes and the need to dump Bush, in addition to restricting gun use.

"In four years since we first met here, we've lost 120,000 lives, more than 500,000 injured, at the cost of $100 billion. It's time to change the policy, and down the street change the leadership. It's time for a change," he said to a roaring ovation.

At the Second Amendment Sisters rally, those figures and others from the anti-gun crowd were questioned. The event's featured speaker, Shemane Nugent, wife of rock musician Ted Nugent, said many of the anti-gun activists simply don't understand the issues.

"A lot of the women at the Million Mom March don't really want all guns to be banned," Nugent told CNSNews.com. "They just are misguided."

"I probably would have been a member of the Million Mom March," she added, "because it is an emotional issue and nobody wants more violence. But the only way you can see the truth is to experience it. We need to reach out to these people ... we've got to go talk to them."

The gun-rights rally featured Nugent, as well as Miss New Mexico Junior Teen Sarah Rouse, Congress of Racial Equality national spokesman Niger Innis, the Rev. Joyce Smith and Coalition for a Fair Judiciary President Kay Daly among other speakers.

Meanwhile, the Million Mom March touted politicians, celebrities and crime victims. After the rally, the contingent marched through the streets of Washington to the White House.

Missing from the rally was Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), who with her husband, then-President Bill Clinton, played a role in the 2000 event. Calls to Clinton's office weren't returned.

While organizers of the Million Mom March said the crowd numbers alone shouldn't be used to judge the importance of their campaign, critics thought otherwise.

John Michael Snyder, public affairs director of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, said voters sent politicians a strong message after Congress enacted the 1994 ban on semi-automatic firearms. He said that has played a role in the debate.

"When the Democratic party in congressional elections later that year lost control of the U.S. House of Representatives for the first times in 60 years, President Clinton, the most anti-gun chief executive in the history of the United States, admitted publicly that enactment of the ban was one of the major reasons for the astounding political defeat."

twoblink
May 11, 2004, 01:36 PM
There was a pic here in the Taiwanese newspaper :D

And to avoid the embarrassing pic of the turnout, they just showed a black man with a poster of what guns he thought should be banned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Two Thousand Mom March" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!