wood stock help

PDA

proven
May 11, 2004, 09:02 AM
posted this in the shotgun section, thought maybe you guys may have suggestions...

sorry if this has been covered...tried a search and couldn't come up with much.

i bought my 870p with black synthetic. ever since, every time i pick up a shotty with wood furniture it just feels so much better. also prefer the looks as well.

well i just picked up a new, take off wood stock set for the ploice model. can't wait to put it on.

is there anything that i should do to it first?? any steps to prolong it's service?? i'm not really worried about scratches and dings, but want it to last.

the finish on it is smooth matte.

any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "wood stock help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clemson
May 11, 2004, 09:46 AM
Conventional wisdom would be to tell you to seal the inside surfaces of the new stock with a coat of stock finish. Birchwood Casey makes a polyurethane finish in a spray can called "Tuffsheen" that works great for that purpose. On the other hand, Remington has been putting the wood on guns for many years in just the condition that you have it there, and there have been remarkably few problems with it.

You will need to make, borrow, or buy a forend wrench. Get one from Brownells if you can't find one elsewhere. I also have and like the buttstock bolt wrench that they sell. It fits on the end of a 3/8 extension for your ratchet. It is less necessary for an 870 than for an 1100/1187. The semiautos have a sintered metal nut that can and will break. The 870 can be handled with conventional tools if you are careful.

I agree, by the way, on the wood stock for a shotgun. It feels altogether different. I also happen to like the wood stock on a Garand better than the plastic stock on an M16, but that may be because I am old and uninformed.:D

Clemson

If you enjoyed reading about "wood stock help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!