Did you ever think of 100 rounds of ammo being "A lot"?

PDA

WhoKnowsWho
May 11, 2004, 12:42 PM
I know I used to. 100 rounds used to be plenty to me, for the one gun back in the day... but now, I feel like I am almost out of stock with 500 rounds per caliber, which I don't even have for everything.

I just thought about it as I was grabbing ammo to head to the range. I have about 600 rounds of .45 ACP, but I am going to take about half. Uh oh, now I need to load some more soon after! That's exactly what I thought.

I guess if I had 1000 ready, then 300 wouldn't be too big of a hit...

If you enjoyed reading about "Did you ever think of 100 rounds of ammo being "A lot"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burbanite
May 11, 2004, 12:46 PM
Nope,

I buy 223 - 1000 at a time, same with most other calibers as well.

44 mag I pick up as needed but never less than 100, that is an absolute minimum.

R.H. Lee
May 11, 2004, 12:59 PM
I rarely shoot all the ammo I take to the range, even the .22lr. Rifle calibers, especially 30-30 and 30-06 are too expensive for me to shoot more than a couple of boxes each. I used to reload, (and even cast my own bullets, gas checked rifle bullets included) but traded away all my reloading equipment over 20 years ago and now don't have the time even if I had the equip (although I've been toying with the idea again). :scrutiny:

Having recently acquired a Yugo SKS, I've been eyeing other milsurp rifles lately-maybe a Mosin Nagant 91/30 or M44-I can't decide which BUT that would require yet another caliber and I don't know whether I want to get into the 7.62x54R business. I used to have LOTS of calibers but cut down to just a few .22lr, 30-30 .308, 30-06, 9mm & .45acp recently. The SKS is one of the cheapest to feed and fun :D too.

I have always been obsessive about backup ammunition :uhoh: and have it stashed around different places, but it never seems to be enough.

Enough rambling. 100rds could make a big difference between life and death, but its waaaay below my comfort level.

Third_Rail
May 11, 2004, 01:01 PM
I WISH I had even 100 rounds of ammunition on store at all times. I'm lucky to have 5-20 rounds around at a given time.

No money, not time to shoot anyway, and saving to move out of MA.

Dain Bramage
May 11, 2004, 01:19 PM
I know what you mean, WKW. Back in the day (early '80s for me), the family guns were an S&W K-frame and a Colt Trooper MkIII. The old ordnance chest never consisted of more than a box or two of .38 Special +P SWCHP or .357 mag, and could run as low as two cylinder-fulls after a day of shooting.

Oh, and there was usually a partial box of CCI Minimags around for the Glenfield Model 60.

Now that I'm older, and a gun nut, I buy .45 ACP, 9mm Mak, and 7.62x39 by the thousand. And my milsurp rounds are bought in whatever oddball case size or spam can they come in. I think my '80s self would have been in profound awe of my current arsenal! :D

boofus
May 11, 2004, 01:26 PM
100 rounds is alot if it's Turkish 8mm and you got a finicky rifle.
Takes a while to shoot it when you have to visually inspect each round and then wiggle the bullet to see if the case is cracked before you shoot. Then after I shoot I have to use a rubber mallet to beat on the bolt handle to make it open again, then spend another 2-3 minutes pounding the stuck shell casing out with a dowel. :scrutiny::D

Hkmp5sd
May 11, 2004, 01:29 PM
Back in grade school, one of my standard Christmas presents from my parents was two 500 round bricks of .22LR for my Remington bolt-gun. Good thing my birthday was only 5 weeks after Christmas. I was usually needing more by then! :)

Now I buy ammo in 1K per caliber per order.

BigG
May 11, 2004, 01:30 PM
WKW: When I first started shooting, centerfire ammo was only available from W/W, R/P and Federal in full price boxes. Hell yes a hunnert rounds was a lot of ammo to me then. About 50c - 60c a shot for 30/06 and me making $2 an hour. :eek:

sm
May 11, 2004, 01:38 PM
Yes.

I was a wee brat and had a 22 revolver.
I would hunt for soda bottles and get paid .02 for each one I took to the Mom & PoP grocery. IIRC a box of .22lr was like .17 the longs were .15 and the shorts were .13.

I would look turn in my bottles and collect my money...I'd look at the boxes of shells, sigh...sometimes all I had was enough for the shorts. Sometimes , well more than once I bought a partial box. He would let me do that, put my name on the partial amount left for next time. "Turn-Ins" went up to 3 cents...then the .22 ammo went up in price too.

I did odd jobs sometimes for the grocery and one day I was given 2 boxes of Remington High Speed .22 long rifles... I was rich!!

Mal H
May 11, 2004, 01:52 PM
Honestly, I don't think I've ever had 100 rounds or less since I was around 5 years old.

sm
May 11, 2004, 02:00 PM
Mal H
Yeah and you probably had a BB Gun too...I finally got a BB Gun...bought myself one in my mid - thirties. Daisy Red Ryder to boot!

Dang rich folks...:D

[j/k]

Swamprabbit
May 11, 2004, 02:00 PM
When I was a kid I remember seeing a bandoleer full of 5rd stripper clips my dad had for his 03A3. I thought we were ready to hold off the Commie invasion quite easily. It was only sixty rounds.

Later, during the dark days of the groundhog wars on the soybean battlefields, we would keep as much as 150-200 rounds loaded for the efforts. Man, I thought those were the days. Now, I won't even post how many rounds I have.

No Trespassing
May 11, 2004, 02:30 PM
I remember back in my "potaoes twice a day" days when I had NO ammo and bummed from my buddies. Then there were times when I had ammo but no guns.

Thankfully things are a lot better 20 years later!

Now I have a minimum required stock quantity on all cals.
It took quite a while to get here but now that I am at the min levels I NEVER fall below. I pretty much shoot what I can afford and I use a FIFO system. I never dip into my mins.

5000 for the .22lr
500 in .32LC
500 in .22short
1000 in .44mag
1000 in .357mag
1000 in .45LC
3000 in .223
3000 in 7.62x39
2000 in 7.62x54R
500 slugs
500 00buck
500 birdshot
1000 .454 round balls/1500 perc. caps & 5lbs BP

RWK
May 11, 2004, 02:38 PM
Absolutely, NO.

JohnBT
May 11, 2004, 02:56 PM
I've never thought 100 rounds was a lot, but back when a box of .22s was about $.50 there were many times I didn't have enough money to buy 2 boxes. This changed when I grew enough to push a lawnmower.

John

Mulliga
May 11, 2004, 03:21 PM
I just bought 80 rounds of .223 - and I don't even have a rifle that shoots .223. ;)

45R
May 11, 2004, 03:26 PM
100 rounds..............100 rounds isnt even enough to raise a heartbeat.

rayra
May 11, 2004, 03:31 PM
Did you ever think of 100 rounds of ammo being "A lot"?Yup. when I was about 12, and buying two bricks of .22lr was HUGE.

Now, multiple firearms, reloading for (almost) all, I think the same way as expressed in the opening post - have enough on-hand to take a goodly amount to the range and still have enough remaining to do it again, while I get around to reloading.

DMK
May 11, 2004, 04:06 PM
You're kidding right? :scrutiny:

shermacman
May 11, 2004, 04:15 PM
I remember the first brick (500) of .22lr rounds I bought at Kmart centuries ago when I was young. I thought it was enough to start WW3. With little effort my friends and I shot the whole box that afternoon...I still have that Winchester rifle and it has had a few more bricks shot through it since! Today, I have thousands of rounds (actually, just about 10,000 with the shot gun ammo) in a nice humidity controlled lock box.

Kurt S.
May 11, 2004, 04:17 PM
Normally 100 centerfire or .22 magnum rimfire rounds per range session per gun is what I shoot. Double that for .22 LR rimfire.

However- I have a friend who is into ultramajor caliber handguns. IMHO, at the higher end of the .480 Ruger, 100 rounds is a lot of ammo. In .454, same thing.

For the top end of the S&W .500, 100 rounds would be a lifetime supply for me.

Triad
May 11, 2004, 04:23 PM
Depends on the caliber.

If you had a StG. 44 and had to make each piece of brass, I suppose 100 rounds would be a considerable amount.

I've heard that some of the big bore rounds for double rifles can cost $125 for a box of five.

So yes, 100 rounds could be quite a lot of ammo.

TCD
May 11, 2004, 04:49 PM
I know when I drop below the 100 round mark, I look at buying more ;)

RoyG
May 11, 2004, 05:14 PM
Actually yes... While I was in the Army. All we ever got was 3 magazines of 3 rounds to zero and then the 4 magazines with 10 rounds to qualify (once a year). It's a small miracle that most troops can hit anything with their issued rifle. We use to spend more time carrying it in parades then on the range.

WhoKnowsWho
May 11, 2004, 06:58 PM
You're kidding right?

When I picked up my first gun, and went to buy ammo... I thought 16.50 a box of 50 for 45 ACP was good... so yes, early on, 100 was a lot. Then I found out a.) how fast you burn through ammo and b.) I sure wasn't shopping around enough for good prices!

JackShandy
May 11, 2004, 07:27 PM
...before I started shooting, every time I heard/saw a news story about some guy who, among other things, was found in possession of, say, 1,000 rounds of ammo total, I thought 'what does anybody need with that much ammo?" Mind you, I wasn't against the guy just because he owned guns, I just thought that much ammo was a huge amount! Now I understand. This sport/hobby/whatever cost $$$.

I explain it to any quasi-anti this way if the subject comes up...

<warning: golf analogy approaching>

...Take a golfer please! His clubs cost money. His other equipment cost money. Joining a club cost money. Factor in travel time to the range. Maybe he even has to wait a bit before he starts hitting balls. Do you think, if he's at a driving range, he's going to just hit one or two packages of balls and then go home? That if he's at a course, he'll play three holes and pack it in? No! When we (golfer or shooter) finally get to the range, we want to make it count! Nobody goes to the shooting range to squeeze off 10-20 rounds. Usually you want to spend some time there, maybe even make a day of it. Therefore, having several thousand rounds is nothing to be alarmed about.

Anyway, that's just a different way of approaching the subject with a non-shooter.

Vern Humphrey
May 11, 2004, 07:38 PM
I teach catechism to two boys, 10 and 12. Their parents are divorced, and they respond a lot better to a man as a teacher.

Sometimes we just talk about what interests them. They love hunting, shooting and fishing. The older boy has a NEF Handyrifle in .223, but no ammo. I asked if he saved the brass, and told him we could reload it.

He came to church crestfallen last week -- he thought he could find about 40 cases, but the grass turned out to be too high.

Now, I don't have a .223, but I never leave brass lying on the ground. I had ordered a set of dies from Lee, dug throught my possibles -- and handed him a plastic bag of 187 cases, all tumbled, de-primed and re-sized and told him to chamber each case in his rifle before we load them.

You would have thought I had given him a bag of gold!:D

odysseus
May 11, 2004, 07:44 PM
maybe when I was a young 100 rounds was a lot. Keep in mind that with the price of ammo today - it pays to buy in more bulk amounts.

artherd
May 11, 2004, 08:28 PM
Never. I now thing of 100,000rounds as 'too few' however.

Kodiak AK
May 11, 2004, 09:00 PM
It is a lot of 12guage slug to put down range in one trip .
:o

4v50 Gary
May 11, 2004, 09:51 PM
100 rounds is just enough for one range trip. Plenty of one handed practice. Some natural point. Some aimed fire w/2 hands. Naah. 150 is better for one range trip.

Now, if we're talking rifle, 100 is plenty and it can be too much if your rifle is one of those Russian M-44 carbines. Owwwwww!

marsh
May 11, 2004, 10:15 PM
Yes, when purchasing ammo for my .338 Lapua Magnum at $4.50 per round (plus tax), I think of 100 rounds as a lot.

CleverNickname
May 11, 2004, 10:16 PM
100 rounds is only "a lot" if that's your CCW loadout. As a stash at home, well, I guess it's a beginning.

TechBrute
May 11, 2004, 10:35 PM
I buy ammo by the case since it's just cheaper that way. I rarely have more than one case of a caliber around at a time. I still buy .44mag a box at a time, though.

Vern Humphrey
May 11, 2004, 10:43 PM
I used to buy .22s by the case (5,000 rounds) but practices change, and now I buy 10 or 20 cartons (500-550 rounds) at Wal Mart cheaper than I could get a case of Winchester Wildcats about 10 years ago.

For some of my rifles, I don't have (or need) a lot of brass. But for my .30-06s, I probably have around 6,000 rounds, another 6.000 of .45 ACP, and about 5,000 rounds of .38 special.

armoredman
May 11, 2004, 11:28 PM
100 rounds in a single sitting in my Mosin? That's a lot. Too much? NAHH! Need more! Love it!:cool:
Only have about 400 40, and 25 7.62x54 right now.....catch up on bills, and make ammo run....;)

HSMITH
May 11, 2004, 11:34 PM
I have never thought 100 rounds was a lot of ammo. That said I should admit I have spent my entire life since I started shooting working for ammo. Even had a stint waxing airplanes BY HAND for ammo money. Paid good per day by most measures and smack wore out a M60 Marlin, but think a minute on the surface area of a freakin airplane......

I own my own home, am debt free other than mortgage, and all of that, but I have spent a staggering amount of money shooting in my life and see no light at the end of the tunnel. Figuring angles so I can shoot more or buy another gun all the time, it is always something. If you don't believe me ask my wife LOL.

I would start to convulse or something if I had less than 20K rounds on hand nowadays. I roll my own and it helps more than words can say in saving money and/or shooting more or I would be a couple hundred round guy like a lot here.

FOCUS, buy the reloading equipment and learn how to use it. FOCUS and save, buy reloading components in copious quantities and save BIG over piecemeal prices. Shoot more, and shoot better while having stable ammunition supplies. Buying $3000 worth of supplies at once saves literally HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of dollars, enough for a new gun even if you just have the discipline to manage your own buying power.

I guess the end result is what you make it. It just depends on how much you like to shoot. I am obsessed with shooting and new guns. I see to it that I have ammo on hand and a new gun every time I can afford one.

Trebor
May 12, 2004, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I knew I slipped over the abyss into "gun nuttery" when I started buying ammo by the case instead of by the box.

Selfdfenz
May 12, 2004, 12:39 AM
100 rounds!

Only 100 rounds??!!?!?!?

That's......un-American!

S-

Detritus
May 12, 2004, 12:51 AM
shoot, i was 22 years old (having just moved to texas and left all my firearms stuff with my parents for a short time) before i ever LIVED in a house with less than about 200 rounds minimum for everything but the 16ga shotgun (heirloom, wasn't shot very much).

granted right now i have less than my personal "comfortable minimum" amount of ammo for my .45, but then again i've only had the thing home 5 days! and have not as of yet had oppurtunity to hit a gunshow for some bulk ammo.

GigaBuist
May 12, 2004, 01:39 AM
Uhmm.. I kinda did -- at 21 even.

Having 100 rounds on hand wasn't a big deal -- that was a typical range trip with my first two guns.

However Sept 12, 2001 I "stocked up" and made sure I had 200 rounds of pistol ammo (didn't have a long gun) on hand at all times. I thought that it was a bit extreme.

I use ammo cans for end tables now :)

entropy
May 12, 2004, 03:16 AM
Well, if I did, I was so young I can't remember!;)
Jack Shandy: sometimes I wander out in the back yard and fire only 5 rounds or so. I live on a farm, however.:D
Kodiak AK isn't kidding! Cooking hint: use a steak for a recoil pad when you shoot lots of slugs at once! Then you'll have a nice, tenderized steak for later on!
My Mosins tend to eat ammo by the case!:what: I'm glad it's cheap.;)

BluesBear
May 12, 2004, 01:33 PM
For handguns, yes.
I rarely carry that much on my person anymore.

BarnsBeware
May 12, 2004, 03:12 PM
For my XD I figure 100 rounds is just about enough to knock the dust and oil off and "wake" the gun up. A great way to get the day started.

But at the range I go to where we have to pick up all rifle brass, 80 in the SKS seems like I'd been at it forever...

BarnsBeware
May 12, 2004, 03:12 PM
double post... server lag...

sturmruger
May 12, 2004, 03:27 PM
I feel the same. Shooting 100 rounds is kind of like stretching a bit before working out. You get that done and then move on.

keyhole
May 12, 2004, 03:37 PM
100 rounds????? Heck , I carry almost that much on me every day!

I hate getting below 300 at home, start reloading, and try to keep it around 800-1000. Still have cases of stuff for the less shot items.

I figure that the longer it sets, the more it cries out, "TAKE ME TO THE RANGE!!!!!!" Hate ammo getting "old".

Gus Dddysgrl
May 12, 2004, 03:49 PM
Well for the last say month or so I've only had 18 rounds of ammo. Those were precious. I would have loved to go buy more, but can't afford it. If I had more I sure would have gone to the range, but I needed to save those precious 18. Dad owed me 300 reloaded rounds, but couldn't do them since work has been insane. Yesterday he gave me 150 rounds. I was so excited, but know they won't last long. When Jon came over for dinner he saw them and was excited we got more to shoot, but then was quite dissappointed when he realized it was only 150 rounds. I guess I'm wearing off on him a little more. :D :neener:

Gus Dddysgrl
May 12, 2004, 03:49 PM
Now I have no excuse to not go to the range.....other than no time, but ehhh I'll make time.

RevDisk
May 12, 2004, 04:07 PM
Geesh. I usually buy by the case, lot cheaper that way. Speaking of which, anyone know where to buy decent 7.62x39 brass?

Hey RoyG

http://www.revdisk.net/photos/Mk19ammo.jpg

That's one of the two stacks of ammo for my old Mk 19 Mod 3 automatic grenade launcher. I think it was around 6,000 rounds or so, of 40mm. Weighed probably a ton or two total. (Rounds, links, boxes add up, yanno)

I think that settles the old question. How much ammo is enough? The answer is, when you require a rather large forklift to carry it for you.

DMK
May 12, 2004, 11:22 PM
When I picked up my first gun, and went to buy ammo... I thought 16.50 a box of 50 for 45 ACP was good... so yes, early on, 100 was a lot. Then I found out a.) how fast you burn through ammo and b.) I sure wasn't shopping around enough for good prices! I started shooting with a .22LR so I was broken in right away with the idea that ammo is supposed to come in 500 round boxes and you should buy one for now and one for later. :neener:

Moparmike
May 13, 2004, 03:33 AM
:o Once upon a time... (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=29921&perpage=25&highlight=too%20much%20ammo&pagenumber=1):o

Hell, I cant afford to keep more than 100rds of 10mm on hand, save for that trip to the gun show (my gun likes Blazer. Go figure...).

HBK
May 13, 2004, 03:59 AM
I did at one time. Now I know you can never have enough.

cracked butt
May 13, 2004, 04:28 AM
Here's how you can tell the difference between a casual shooter and a gun nut:

Casual shooter:
goes to Xmart or sporting goods store and buy a 20 rd box of centerfire rifle cartridges and a 50 rd pack of .22 LR. (does anyone actually buy .22 LR 50 rds at a time? I always wondered about this)

Gun nut:
Either buy ammo in case lots or,

Shuns factory ammo, but buys reloading compnents:
Brass comes in lots of 50, 100, 1000
The fewest number of primers you can buy at once is 100
A 1 lb container of powder will give you roughly 150 rifle loads or 1000 pistol loads, but then again who buys powder in 1 lb lots?
Bullets come in minimum lots of 50 for very specialized premium hunting bullets, but most buy in lots of 100, 500, or 1000.
Plastic boxes for reloads start at 50 rds capacity-wise.
Bricks of .22 LRs come in 500 rd packages- I buy 3 or 4 at a time.

Right now I have less than 100 rds of odds and ends centerfire ammo on hand, but this is only because I was on a day long shooting orgy involving 5 rifles and 2 handguns last weekend to clean out my old stock.

:D

WhiteKnight
May 14, 2004, 01:11 PM
Well I just bought 13,500 rounds of subsonic .22LR ammo. I probably won't have <100 for a while.:neener:

thumbtack
May 14, 2004, 05:45 PM
A 100 rounds of ammo is a lot when it is being fired at you.

BluesBear
May 15, 2004, 02:50 AM
Ammunition!
The currency of the next millenium.

Tamara
May 15, 2004, 09:34 AM
I once thought a couple of boxes of ammo was plenty.

I still do, if the ammo in question is 7.7 Jap or .577-450. :D

On the other hand, if I start getting down to ~500 rounds in stock of .38 Spl, .45 ACP, or 7.62x39, I get uncomfortable...

WhoKnowsWho
May 15, 2004, 04:09 PM
I still do, if the ammo in question is 7.7 Jap

I just got my Type 99 Arisaka a while back and it is still waiting to be fed... :( Everyone seems to be out of stock of the brass or too expensive... geez!

Chuck Dye
May 15, 2004, 05:41 PM
Almost ten years ago, I wandered into a store that had decided to discontinue ammo sales and had deeply discounted what was left. By the time I arrived, all the popular stuff was gone and I scored no bargains for myself but I did buy the last 200 rounds of .35 Remington for my best friend. A couple of years ago, we were gathering up supplies for a trip to the range when I spotted a stack of the .35 ammo and asked if any was the stuff I had lucked into. My friend answered,

"It ALL is, I only use THAT for hunting."

My friend hunts like an archer, and is very much a one round, one deer guy. Since he averages about 1&frac12; tags a year, I had given him over a century’s worth of ammo.

bdhawk
May 15, 2004, 08:22 PM
reloading has almost surpassed shootin'. it is good therapy, my shop is a place where i can excape from it all. i almost always try to jump on good deals on bullets and brass. i have somewhat over 8000 total loaded rounds and about 2000 empty brass. with all the ammo and brass i have i still will spend waaay too much time looking for that lost piece of brass on the range. i haven't been caught up on my loading in about two years. rotating the new loads to the back of the ammo cabinet and having the older to the front is a big chore. it seems like i am always running across a box of 9MM that i loaded back in '95 or something.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did you ever think of 100 rounds of ammo being "A lot"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!