Brotherhood of Police anti-gun??

PDA

twoblink
May 11, 2004, 02:39 PM
In the article in the Taiwanese newspaper here; they talked about the sorry turnout for the MMM but then it said below that the League of Governors and the Brotherhood of Police; both groups were endorsing the renewal of the AWB.

??

First, never heard of either groups.. I assume the League of Governors is made of of state governors. Second, I assume the Brotherhood of Police are actually police members???!!??

:confused:

Why are the police for the renewal of the AWB? Anybody shed some light?

If you enjoyed reading about "Brotherhood of Police anti-gun??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Leatherneck
May 11, 2004, 02:45 PM
"Brotherhood of Police" is, I'll bet Taiwan-style speak for Fraternal Order of Police. FOP is on record as being in favor of the renewal of the AWB.

TC
TFL Survivor

Reno
May 11, 2004, 05:06 PM
Why are the police for the renewal of the AWB? Anybody shed some light?
They support it (and gun control in general) because if everyone could defend themselves, the police would be out of a job.

Jeff White
May 11, 2004, 07:32 PM
Some national police organizations support gun control because the Clinton administration bought their support with DOJ grants. Many of the organizations who are supporting renewal have memberships that are made up of politically appointed administrators, not street cops.

I hadn't heard that the FOP was supporting renewal. Considering the flack they took from the rank and file membership over their support for gun control in the early 90s, I'm surprised they take any position. The FOP is a labor union, just like the Teamsters and Steelworkers. As a labor organization they often take the democratic party line on all issues.

To say that all peace officers support renewal of the AWB because some professional oganizations do is just incorrect. In fact any time rank and file officers have been polled, they have always favored RKBA in big numbers. The Southern Police Benevolent Association poll is a good example.

If you say the police officer support renewal bcause their administrators do, or because their union hacks do, is the same as making the same statement about Teamsters, Steelworkers and almost every other union. Are you prepared to paint the rank and file of every labor union in the country with that broad brush?

Jeff

odysseus
May 11, 2004, 07:41 PM
Yes it is worrying the momentum of anti 2nd amendment ideals slowly being pushed my some LE groups.

It's funny to me, since I grew up with some of my closest family members as a child who were LE officers that taught me about firearms (retired now). Often it is/was LE officers, and at ranges and local gunstores, that good law abiding citizens and LE officers could talk and befriend each other. I worry that those days are slowly going all away and even if a LE officer is like that, more and more pressure from other LE peers and above them will be to favor an anti 2nd amendment stance to highly restrict or remove firearms from citizens. That is so wrong becuase it removes community and that connection that that has been around for over a hundered years in America where even LE was a volunteer group from the citizenry. I agree with another post person here, it's about money and who is donating it.

Maybe someone here can elaborate more about this.

May 11, 2004, 07:48 PM
"If you say the police officer support renewal bcause their administrators do, or because their union hacks do, is the same as making the same statement about Teamsters, Steelworkers and almost every other union. "

Big Labor supports democrats and usually the most radical left wing democrats.
I am not a police officer, but am a firefighter. Our International Union newspaper has a picture on the cover every month of the International president posing with the very people who we talk about on this board: Feinstein, Shummer, Hillary Clinton ........................................... At least here where I work, I would say the vast majority of our local are VERY pro-gun. But, many of them blindily follow the union line and vote for these clowns.

Standing Wolf
May 11, 2004, 08:08 PM
To say that all peace officers support renewal of the AWB because some professional oganizations do is just incorrect.

Unfortunately, cops in Missouri, Ohio, Wisconsin, Kansas, and Minnesota have come out vocally and vociferously against the Second Amendment. I'm sure plenty of individual cops support the Second Amendment, but far too many have worked far too hard in the cause of anti-Second Amendment bigotry.

twoblink
May 11, 2004, 11:43 PM
I think where you are at makes a huge difference...

When I use to live in Pasadena, it's a fairly old city with a lot of LEO tradition. Most of the LEO's I know are 2nd generation cops, a lot of "daddy was a cop now retired" types. Those that I know personally, they are really happy to meet a gunowner, they say that keeps the crime down and makes their jobs easier. Most of them would LOVE to lose their job, that means crime has reached ZERO. That means they have done their jobs perfectly. It's the same thing with doctors, they try to eliminate their very reason for existance everyday. They would love to see a sick-free world, but that's just not reality. A crime-free world is beautiful (on paper) but then again, so is communism. Reality is a bit harsh and cold...

Jeff,

"Teamsters" conjures up images of Chicago and thugs "whacking" people.. I love talking to LEO's about holsters and stuff. Had one tell me "Oh, never buy brand xxx holster, that thing will ride up where the sun shouldn't shine" :D If support for the AWB is something the brass say because Klinton has greased their palms, then so be it. When Police brass talk, all I hear is "blah blah blah". But what worries me is when the beatcops are anti-2nd. Then we've got problems..

mnrivrat
May 12, 2004, 01:44 AM
IMHO - there is also that "we - they" fractor getting out of control in the LE community in some places. "Law inforcement - civilians" .
Like they are the only ones that should have guns because they are different than us - somehow privilaged by the status of their job.

Yes - I know there are a hell of a lot of good people who are LEO's. There is also an attitude that has a tendancy to creep into jobs of this nature (jobs of authority over others) that is prone to alitism.

If your an LEO and take offense to the above ,let me ask you to be honest ! If not you , then you have seen members of your dept that carry a chip on their shoulder fasten'd down by a badge.

Also if you take offense - I moved ! I now live in ah lets see - New Jersey !

LOL !

If you enjoyed reading about "Brotherhood of Police anti-gun??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!