Ban guns? Why not swords, axes, knives, and flails?

PDA

Harold Mayo
May 11, 2004, 09:56 PM
http://cbsnewyork.com/investigates/local_story_132070112.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Ban guns? Why not swords, axes, knives, and flails?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buy guns
May 11, 2004, 10:02 PM
now i want to buy one of his weapons to cut my head off so i dont have to live in the same world as the morons bugging this more guy.

buy guns
May 11, 2004, 10:04 PM
and if knives and axes are the deadliest weapons available, why arent we using them in iraq?

jamz
May 11, 2004, 10:08 PM
“That's very disturbing. Who's he selling them to. I mean I have teenage kids here in the high school, and stuff so they should really do something about that,” says one neighbor.

“I hate it, it's awful,” says another.

“That's terrible. He should be arrested. They should take these knives away from him,” says a third neighbor.

..and some wonder why I hate most people... :banghead:

Ex-Doc
May 11, 2004, 10:15 PM
It's only a matter of time when we only have chopsticks........

You can't live in NY without a school 2 blocks away....:rolleyes:

Treylis
May 11, 2004, 10:19 PM
"Television news: if there's not any outrage, we'll manufacture some!"

This reminds me of when that one news crew bought an old WWI mortar from a gunshop. The owner told them that he did not have any ammo and it could not be bought, but they falsely quoted him saying that "oh, I don't have any ammo in stock right now". Bah.

buy guns
May 11, 2004, 10:27 PM
heres a link to their feedback page if anyone wants to send them an email

http://cbsnewyork.com/feedback/

select cbs2 investigates from the drop down menu

fjolnirsson
May 11, 2004, 11:05 PM
. :banghead:

Amish_Bill
May 11, 2004, 11:08 PM
sent:re: Weapons For Sale

So, you've got a custom knifemaker nearby. How is this a hazard to anyone else in the area? Sure... there might be schools nearby. What school-kid is going to have several hundred dollars to spend on a custom knife, axe, or other high-end reproduction? Oh, I see... You're afraid that he'll leave these "tools or war" laying around for just anyone to find. Just like your field crew leaves a camera on the hood while you all break for lunch? I don't think so.

Sure, sure... it was a slow news day... <grumble>

Warren
May 11, 2004, 11:29 PM
“That's very disturbing. Who's he selling them to. I mean I have teenage kids here in the high school, and stuff so they should really do something about that,” says one neighbor.

“I hate it, it's awful,” says another.

And the winner...er loser is

“That's terrible. He should be arrested. They should take these knives away from him,” says a third neighbor.

Can you see these folks walking into a Ren Faire? There would just be a cloud of dust and trail of poop as they ran for the gate.

El Tejon
May 11, 2004, 11:34 PM
Ahhh, Eloi alert!

Why do you think they call them Eloi? Because they are weak and their meat is yummy!:D

Always looking for a new pair of baat jaam do. Anyone have a link thingy for this guy? El Tejon needs a new pair of swords.:cool:

Warren
May 11, 2004, 11:42 PM
My e-mail was thusly....

Wow! Thank goodness you alerted us to this danger!

In these times of strife it is important to remove such expensive and hard to use weapons from the hands of wannabe musketeers and barbarians.

I know that drive by cleavings are at an all time high and that school kids routinely take such weapons to school to duel fellow students and frustrate the goals of Cardinal Richelieu.

You cannot imagine how much safer I feel that these hand powered, close range assualt blades are one step closer to being off the streets.

By the looks of a few of them they have a pommel that could be used to attach them to an assualt rifle's bayonet lug and turn an already dangerous weapon into something that will strike fear into people tens of feet away.

Thank the Lord for such a dedicated news team, I will sleep soundly in my bed tonight knowing that there is an even smaller chance of being attacked by a mad flailer springing out at me from the shrubbery.

Warren
May 11, 2004, 11:44 PM
As Homer: baat jaam arrrlllll

Amish_Bill
May 11, 2004, 11:59 PM
No!.. Not a .... a Shrubbery!

"strike fear into people tens of feet away".... LOL!

The Undertoad
May 12, 2004, 12:13 AM
Here2Learn thank you! I just read your reply out loud... my roommate and I are in tears from laughing. :D

c_yeager
May 12, 2004, 12:24 AM
Well most states have laws making the carry of the above mentioned weapons ILLEGAL. Are you sure you really want to draw that many parallells between them?

Warren
May 12, 2004, 12:39 AM
c_yeager:

If that is addressed to me I see no harm in it as they are already ignorant hoplophobes. There is little more I could do to make them more ignorant or hoplophobic.

AB and Undertoad...glad you liked it. I do satire, ridicule, sarcasm and mockery far better than any other sort of writing.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
May 12, 2004, 01:34 AM
Thor forbid that a Home Depot Garden Center or....even worse....a Tractor Supply Farm Store(!) open up anywhere nearby!

They have entire racks of sharp pointy things with long handles!

Oh, the horror!

eyerollingRegards,
Rabbit.

buy guns
May 12, 2004, 01:41 AM
Thor forbid that a Home Depot Garden Center or....even worse....a Tractor Supply Farm Store(!) open up anywhere nearby!

that would be because its a big corporation but if some guy is living the american dream he needs to be shut down.

Evil_Ed
May 12, 2004, 02:02 PM
Sent them a nasty gram at the above feedback link about this ridiculous story. I can't believe they thought this was newsworthy! They would not pick on a painter or sculptor working on art pieces in their home, why should it be any different for a metalsmith?? This worries me as I work on blades in my shed at home... makes me wonder when the gestapo are going to come pounding on my door!

I also sent a link to this thread to the knifemaker. His website is here: http://home.att.net/~steven.licata/

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
May 12, 2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks for posting the link for his website.

I initially was under the (mistaken) assumption that he was selling the tourist trap stuff imported from south central Asia; you know, the stuff like you see in the 'knife stores' set up as kiosks in the mall.

I see differently now. Not my style, but he obviously (or somebody, anyway) does nice work. I guess now it could be a first amendment case. The newswriter obviously disagrees with 'his' form of art. I don't see these as weapons, primarily; especially at his prices.

I wonder if the newswriter (got to make something up to be news, right?) has a problem with the work of Robert Mapplethorpe?

Some folks call that art, too. And he got a NEA grant to do it.

Weird what some folks get riled at.

The only thing I can see that may be a problem is if the city has an ordinance about running a 'hobby' from your home. I think she's stirring up the hornet's nest only because they look eeeeevil.....

Regards,
Rabbit.

raz-0
May 12, 2004, 02:46 PM
Man this is stupid. I've never met the guy, but I can pretty much guarantee I've had lunch within a sotnes throw of wherever he lives. Garfield judt isn't that large. I've also run into some of his customers, and although most of them aren't my favorite people, their offensive weapon of choice is a heaping double handful of pretensiousness, bad pointy ear prosthetics, and the occasional set of lee press-on fangs.

I'd also wager that his 2 year old was playing "dangeoursly" around those weapons in that the kids was indeed playing in the house, and the house contained some of his pieces of work.

What this is going to come down to is a zoning issue. Personally, if it were me, I'd fight fire with fire and take down the address of EVERYONE working on a project car or anything similar and Bring compalints of zoning violations against them for light assembly, which I do not believe the town is zoned for in large part.

El Tejon
May 12, 2004, 05:21 PM
Order placed with Steven.:D

Let's give this guy a bunch of business so he can tear down his garage . . . and build an even bigger one!:cool:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
May 12, 2004, 05:28 PM
Good idea, Sr. Badger. I'll have to peruse through his online store a little deeper later this evening to see if there's anything I possibly could get to give as a gift.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Amish_Bill
May 12, 2004, 06:33 PM
The stainless steel spike hairpins look both affordable, practical, and attractive....

Warren
May 12, 2004, 06:39 PM
I prefer polymer hairpins.

ducktapehero
May 12, 2004, 06:41 PM
I'll give up my broadsword when they pry it from my cold dead hands. :D

SLCDave
May 12, 2004, 07:10 PM
“That's very disturbing. Who's he selling them to. I mean I have teenage kids here in the high school, and stuff so they should really do something about that,” says one neighbor."

Umm, didn't he mention the discounted price was $800?!?

If your teenager is buying this stuff, you really need to look at the allowance you're passing his way....

Andrew Rothman
May 12, 2004, 07:49 PM
I love how even a major market affiliate can't use the English language worth a darn:

Is this stuff sharp? “Yes, that's the way my client's like them.”

Here's a hint. Apostrophe S is for contractions or possessives, not for plurals.

That's what Licata told our undercover photographer last month. While his two-year-old son, whom he calls his apprentice, played dangerously near the weapons.

Who. Not whom.

But Licata told a perspective client on our undercover video, he was doing both

And, gee, guys, could you spring for a dictionary, and look up the difference between "perspective" and "prospective?"

But with a school two blocks away, many residents say they don't want the business or it's clientele anywhere in the neighborhood.

Again with the spurious apostrophe?

"That's very disturbing. Who's he selling them to. I mean...

You do know that it is traditional to indicate a question with a question mark, right?

This is beside all of the comma errors, which are rampant.

So we have "journalists" who are inept in their alleged area of expertise, and we expect common sense or logic from them? Gimme a break!

JOE MACK
May 12, 2004, 07:58 PM
Knock on the door late at night, we've come for the Ginsu knife you've got along with the Chicago cutlery and any scissors you might have.

Next will be the shutting down of all martial arts studios and registering of all former practitioners.

These people need to get a life! Must have really been a slow news day. A person can be made just as dead with a table leg!

Baa, baaa! Baad, baaad sharp things!:rolleyes:

Firethorn
May 12, 2004, 10:09 PM
2 year old playing 'dangerously' close?

They were probably on a table for display, and the kid was walking around on the floor. I'm sure Licata was paying the necessary attention to the child. How would these knives differ in deadlyness compared to say, a kitchen?

Oh, and the cheapest Item I saw on the site were the hairpins, at $60. Average prices looked to be in the thousands. Hardly something a teenager is going to get to go postal with. A gun would be cheaper and easier. Heck a fire ax would be too, if they wanted to take the physical approach.

I liked alot of his stuff. Definate wall mount material.

Works out of a shed in back? It sounds like he's a old style swordsmith. Probably makes less noise than a neighbor with a circular saw.

The_Antibubba
May 13, 2004, 01:49 AM
Do I need to say anything else?

atek3
May 13, 2004, 09:15 PM
Geez, I thought only england and austrialia had SUPER-SHEEP, one step above your ordinary sheeple. The kinda people that wet themselves over sharp objects, guess not. Wicked Steel on his webpage. Realizing of course that they are art knives, it'd still be funny to whip out one of his folders against your average shank wielding thug (assuming you were knife proficient)

atek3

If you enjoyed reading about "Ban guns? Why not swords, axes, knives, and flails?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!