Bitches With Guns: A Lesson In Reality

PDA

NIGHTWATCH
May 12, 2004, 03:52 AM
READ THE ARTICLE AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THE TITLE :D

http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=7758

If you enjoyed reading about "Bitches With Guns: A Lesson In Reality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Treylis
May 12, 2004, 04:02 AM
Before anyone harps on the:

Although this is difficult for some people in other parts of the country to believe, open carry of firearms (handguns as well as long guns) is legal in Arizona, but concealed carry is illegal. Open carry of a handgun, however, means in a proper holster. No so-called "Mexican carry" (the gun stuffed in a waistband without a holster) is allowed.

... statement about concealed carry being illegal in Arizona, I believe that this was describing an event that occurred before we had shall-issue.

Pappy John
May 12, 2004, 09:44 AM
Great article. Should have had more pictures though....YOW!:what:

FPrice
May 12, 2004, 09:58 AM
I was a little leary of the title, but you were right. I think it was worth the initial shock.

I'm glad for her that she WAS a BWG. Although I think she probably is not a "B".

Third_Rail
May 12, 2004, 10:23 AM
Wow, a state that allows open carry of longarms.

I love it! Personally, I'd love to see law-abiding citizens carrying homeland defense rifles with them almost everywhere. It'd make criminals think twice, think a third time, ---- their pants and run. :D

Gus Dddysgrl
May 12, 2004, 10:25 AM
Well to her attacker she was a bitch. She may not have been one to other people. Most often women who are called bitches are called that because of the person calling them that. I am not a bithc, but have been called one. It depends on the perspective of the other person not the woman being called a bitch.

I'm glad to be a part of the BWG. I do feel more confident when I carry. Of course it wasn't just the gun that saved her it was her mind that saved her.

Fastlane
May 12, 2004, 10:36 AM
I love articles like this one. She is my type of woman. :)

Kahr carrier
May 12, 2004, 10:38 AM
Good reading,glad it worked out for her.

sturmruger
May 12, 2004, 11:45 AM
What a great story. I am going to email this one to my wife. I like the fact that she is a Ruger fan.

Bog
May 12, 2004, 12:00 PM
Anyone who can read this article and still support a firearms ban is saying "My power over you is more important to me than an innocent woman's life."

End of Line.

NIGHTWATCH
May 12, 2004, 12:26 PM
She was called a "B" by a criminal who intended to harm her but soured when he found himself looking into the end of a barrel. Not by anyone else for any reason. So, if that term is the way a criminal mind percieves an armed and determined woman, as a BWG, than I love a BWG :D

BluesBear
May 12, 2004, 12:32 PM
Now that's my kind of woman!

She should run for public office.

Mr. Mysterious
May 12, 2004, 12:34 PM
This would have been real bad if she left her gun in the car.

That IMHO is worse than not having a gun at all.

Bog
May 12, 2004, 12:46 PM
That IMHO is worse than not having a gun at all.

Only in terms of bitter, bitter irony. At least she'd have known that it's worth making the short break for the car, rather than just being stuck with no options at all.

Zundfolge
May 12, 2004, 01:01 PM
I just don't understand why she doesn't get a CCW permit :confused:

Based on the article it almost seems as though she doesn't know such a thing exists?

tommytrauma
May 12, 2004, 01:14 PM
Excellent article, and an absolutely breath taking picture.

My extended family has had several run ins at highway rest stops. I wouldn't dream of being unarmed at one.

Tall Man
May 12, 2004, 01:32 PM
Put that woman's image on one of your posters, Oleg. We're due for some eye candy! ;)

TM

Wildalaska
May 12, 2004, 01:44 PM
Bet that rapists gun shrunk dowon to the size of a NAA revolver barrel when the cutie drew down on him ROTFLMFAO

WildcoldwaterAlaska

zaijian
May 12, 2004, 02:00 PM
Hmmm ---

No way that chick is the same woman from the story - a 40-something woman? That's the best darn 40-something I've ever seen. Heck, I think she'd be pretty darn pretty for a 20-something woman :)

Mauserlady
May 12, 2004, 02:22 PM
I just don't understand why she doesn't get a CCW permit

I'm thinking that this article was written before AZ became a Shall Issue state. I'm not sure when that happened though...

Razor
May 12, 2004, 02:56 PM
No way that chick is the same woman from the story - a 40-something woman?

The editor posted in the reader comments that the pic is a different woman.

Jim March
May 12, 2004, 03:00 PM
I know for a fact this article is pre-AZ-CCW - I recall reading it way back when...'97/98 or so.

larry_minn
May 12, 2004, 03:01 PM
I feel bad he didn't move toward her so he could be removed from gene pool.

sturmruger
May 12, 2004, 03:10 PM
Good point Larry. Sometimes I wonder what happens to guys like this. I am sure it scared the crap out of him. How long do you think he kept his raping urges down?? My guess is after 6 months he was out stalking women again. I wish she would have shot him. These guys don't get better look at the animal they locked up for killing Dru. He will never ever get better. Luckily they are planning on trying him in federal court. Hopefull he will get the death penalty.

Zundfolge
May 12, 2004, 04:00 PM
The other question I have is; where where all these hot shooter chicks back when I was single?

:evil:

SodiumBenzoate
May 12, 2004, 04:54 PM
Arizona didn't have shall issue until the late 90's?

Damn, I woulda thought they were the first.

Jim March
May 12, 2004, 05:09 PM
AZ got shall-issue in '94. This incident dates to prior, but was first penned in '97 or '98.

Dr.Rob
May 12, 2004, 08:38 PM
That was a darn good read.

Ky Larry
May 12, 2004, 10:10 PM
I forwarded this article to all the women in my address book. Spread the word. I wonder how the "Anti's" would respond to this article?

GSB
May 12, 2004, 10:14 PM
Great article. Should have had more pictures though....YOW!

What he said!

Don Gwinn
May 12, 2004, 10:43 PM
Maryann's initial shock suddenly dissipated, leaving outright anger in its place. That someone would DARE approach her that way! That someone would DARE to threaten her! With a rope!
Yeah, and the rope turned out to be a bad idea. :D

4v50 Gary
May 12, 2004, 11:20 PM
or Bad Bozo almost gets blasted.

Kudos to her for being prepared and for driving off that assailant. Thank you Nightcrawler for sharing this with us.

MeekandMild
May 12, 2004, 11:39 PM
My guess is after 6 months he was out stalking women again. I wish she would have shot him. This statement really warrents a new thread.

IMHO this story and this statement illustrate the primary counter to the "duty to retreat" theory of law. I can see no public good for this man remaining alive, nor can I see any public harm if she had killed him.

The trouble is that in many states a person has a much greater difficulty defending against a murder/manslaughter charge unless they have made an effort to retreat from danger. The retreat must be made even if there is imminent danger. She probably hesitated for this reason.

This runs counter to the traditional need for the citizenry to police itself and the need for the citizenry to assure itself of a safe commons. IMHO failure to allow for this traditional need is one of the primary driving forces for the vast majority of street crime.

IMHO any imminent danger to oneself OR TO OTHERS OR PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR LIKELY TO PRODUCE SUCH DANGER IN THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE should be one which citizens can use as a defence against such charges.

:confused:

Standing Wolf
May 13, 2004, 12:06 AM
"He decided his rope couldn't compete with my Ruger."

Once in a great while, a criminal catches on.

Nobody beats women who shoot.

sm
May 13, 2004, 01:03 AM
Great Read! Thanks for sharing!

:cool:

WingZero
May 13, 2004, 02:18 AM
Ahhh,
One of just many reasons why I wake up in the early afternon and kick myself in the ass for leaving Tempe.
I have to get back ASAP!

Nickotym
May 13, 2004, 12:13 PM
That girl in the picture looks familiar, like she has been in other gun pics. Anyone else recognize her?

WhiteKnight
May 13, 2004, 12:18 PM
Bet that rapists gun shrunk dowon to the size of a NAA revolver barrel

:D

pendentive
May 13, 2004, 01:15 PM
nice article....very interesting to read.

Iron Mike
May 13, 2004, 11:56 PM
You know that nut job was just waiting for a woman to pull into a secluded rest area.It probably wasn't the first time he pulled that trick and most likely wont be the last .I know it's easy for me to say but I think the world would be a better place if she drilled him and drove away imho Mike

BluesBear
May 14, 2004, 05:11 AM
Nickotym, I think the woman in the photo is a model.

That is an old article from before AZ had CCW and nowhere does the article say the woman in the photo is the same woman as in the story.

Black Majik
May 14, 2004, 05:47 AM
maybe I should send this to the people running california... :cuss:

Great article though. Very good read.

Maryann
June 6, 2004, 03:41 AM
Imagine my amazement when I found this forum and MY story. Yes, I was the BITCH WITH A GUN. I'd like to set the record straight about a couple things:

1) This article appeared in Women & Guns - July, 1994 issue. When the incident happened, I posted the story on a forum such as this. Lyn Bates contacted me and I agreed to the interview. Between the time of the interview and the issue's publication, the Arizona Legislature passed the CCW legislation.

2) The woman in the photograph is NOT me. I wish the editors had captioned the photo, explaining that it was a file photo and not the photo of the woman in the story.

3) I've been asked many times why I didn't just shoot the guy. Yes, I imagine the world would be better off without him, but my handgun is for defense, not offense. Once I was out of danger, a shooting would not have been justified - by AZ law or by my own law. I have no regrets about leaving the scene as I did, but I still wonder .... and the thought that he may have attacked other women haunts me to this day.

Yes, I still have my little Ruger. :)

BluesBear
June 6, 2004, 07:47 AM
Welcome Aboardâ„¢ Maryann!

It is a distinct pleasure you have you join us.
I hope we hear more from you.

NC Shooter
June 6, 2004, 08:26 AM
Welcome Maryanne. I personally want to thank you for several things.

1. Sharing your story. This is a story that needed to be told and you did it very well.

2. Calling the police afterward. Too many times the use of a gun to save a life is not reported.

3. Joining this board. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

MuzzleBlast
June 6, 2004, 09:48 AM
First, we are all very glad the incident ended the way it did. Good on ya for having the presence of mind to arm yourself, and the strength of character to defend yourself when it became necessary. And while true the world would be better off with one fewer two-legged predator, I commend you on having the self restraint to not shoot him.

Welcome to THR. Please stick around. :)

FPrice
June 6, 2004, 09:59 AM
Glad to have you here also.

OEF_VET
June 6, 2004, 11:10 AM
Maryann,

It's truly a pleasure to have a woman as enlightened as yourself on THR. Your situational awareness and ability to react quickly and calmly during moments of extreme stress are highly commendable. It is easy to see that you have something of a warrior spirit inside you. Way to go.

Frank

Zeke Menuar
June 6, 2004, 11:11 AM
"He decided his rope couldn't compete with my Ruger"

Two years ago some punks decided to pull a knife on me. My response was, "Are you REALLY going to bring a knife to a gunfight?" They were on the wrong end of a 45. They ran.

I am showing this article to my wife. She goes through life convinced that the karmic gods of the universe will protect her.

ZM

Justin
June 6, 2004, 12:18 PM
Maryann-

Welcome to THR, thanks for posting, and thanks for writing the initial article about your experience.

Baba Louie
June 6, 2004, 12:44 PM
Welcome to THR Maryann
I always said Maryann was smarter AND better than Ginger :D

Girls with Guns are Lots more Fun.
They make ya mind yer manners too,
just like Ma always said to do.

What can I say, I was inspired. :rolleyes:

All my favorite female type friends know how to shoot and at pretty good at it. As such, no one in their Right mind would even think of trying sumpin' stupid. It's the ones in their "Wrong" mind that need remindin' now and then. I have shared that story with some of them. They all agree, Maryann. Better to have it and not need it...

harpethriver
June 6, 2004, 06:15 PM
I had lunch with a woman yesterday who became quite startled when she discovered I "carried." After chatting with her a while she told me that she had once been mugged and beaten pretty badly while living in Boston. I asked her if that did not give her cause to at least re-think her anti-gun position. She replied that it only made her anti resolve stronger. She theorized that if she were to carry a gun for protection that "they" would win, because she would then have to change her mindset and way of thinking. I asked her what was wrong with refusing to be a victim. She replied that she now is more wary of her surroundings and is more careful about the situations she places herself in. I then asked her if that was not hypocritical as she had changed her mindset and way of thinking. No, she replied, because she would not using violence to stop violence. I then asked her if she tired of turning the other cheek. No, she replied, as long as she can she will. I then rather crudely pointed out that if she turned her cheek one more time the only ones she had left would be the ones she might be grabbing. She didn't care, because guns cause crime. And she would never defend herself with violence. How sad. The good news is that she actually listened to my side. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I certainly don't expect her to change her views overnite. I will, however, continue to give her the facts, talk with her rationally and reasonably, and maybe, just maybe, one day she will see the light. And I sure hope it happens before someone tries to do something worse than mug her.

Maryann
June 6, 2004, 07:27 PM
I then asked her if she tired of turning the other cheek. No, she replied, as long as she can she will. I then rather crudely pointed out that if she turned her cheek one more time the only ones she had left would be the ones she might be grabbing. She didn't care, because guns cause crime. And she would never defend herself with violence.

I'm sad to say that, in my opinion, this woman doesn't place much value on her own existence. Unfortunately, sometimes a person's defense must take a violent path. It comes down to: "Me or the person trying to harm me." I choose me. If that choice requires violence I will not hesitate - unless that violence would take others' lives.

Of course we can all sit here and criticze this woman ... but we'll never know exactly what we'll do until we're faced with the situation.

Maryann

Diamondback
June 6, 2004, 07:28 PM
I have a question for you Maryann. Typically how did a woman who wore a dress open carry before legal CCW law went into effect in AZ ? If a woman couldn't use a waist pack, a purse, or, a day planner set up....it seems as if the only choice was to strap on a holster over the dress.
Just curious.

Maryann
June 6, 2004, 07:39 PM
I have a question for you Maryann. Typically how did a woman who wore a dress open carry before legal CCW law went into effect in AZ ? If a woman couldn't use a waist pack, a purse, or, a day planner set up....it seems as if the only choice was to strap on a holster over the dress.

I'm guessing that most women violated the law and carried concealed. I can't remember ever seeing a woman in a dress strap on a holster. May have happened - I just never saw it.

Maryann

longrifleman
June 6, 2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks again for sharing. I gave your story to my wife as I'm trying to get her to take a more active role in her own defense. She seems to think it is my job to defend her.:( Such an old fashioned gal I've got.

BluesBear
June 6, 2004, 11:15 PM
I then asked her if she tired of turning the other cheek. No, she replied, as long as she can she will. I am reminded of a political cartoon drawn by the renowned Hugh Haynie and published in the Courier-Journal newspaper during the famous Israeli "Six Day War".

If my memory serves me, it showed an image of an Israeli man with two curved swords through his head. One entering each cheek and exiting through the other. He has a pleading lookon his face and his arms were outstretched.

The caption was "What Other Cheek?"

Although I was only 13 at the time that cartoon had a profund affect on my life. It helped me understand that sometimes turning the other cheek just isn't an option.

sturmruger
June 6, 2004, 11:32 PM
Maryann thanks so much for joining The High Road. I think you will like it here.

Your story has inspired my wife to become more active in her own self defense. I am not sure what she is going to do for starters, but I think she might be taking a carry class in the near future. Oh and don't let anyone bad mouth your Ruger it worked perfectly when you needed it, and you didn't even have to pull the trigger!!

tex_n_cal
June 6, 2004, 11:45 PM
I will add my congratulations to Maryann, and welcome her to The High Road, where predators are pretty damn scarce.:D

BuckeyePPC
June 7, 2004, 12:51 AM
Maryann,

Congrats and if you ever get down to southeastern Arizona, I'd like to buy you a cuppa.

NineseveN
June 7, 2004, 01:06 AM
Maryanne, you rock! Great awareness, great response. All in all I'd say a job extremely well done. Kudos.

sm
June 7, 2004, 01:48 AM
Maryann
Welcome to THR !

Great example of self responsibility, glad you spoke out and identified yourself here.

S_O_Laban
June 7, 2004, 01:51 AM
Another warm welcome Maryann. Hope you stick around and enjoy this place as much as the rest of us do. I'm glad your safe and count it an honor to have you aboard here at THR. Thanks for sharing a powerfull story.

Maryann
June 7, 2004, 02:36 AM
I just don't understand why she doesn't get a CCW permit

From the Arizona Constitution, Article 2, Section 26:

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

I have a REAL problem being forced to get a CCW in order to provide self defense. In my opinion, requiring an Arizonan to spend money, fill out a bazillion forms, attend classes, and wait weeks for everything to go through is an impairment to self defense. So, I find the CCW to be a violation of the Arizona Constitution.

Having said that, I also realize that the state provision is superceded by the federal document which people will debate until the end of time.

By the way, I did get a CCW. I, like most gun owners, obey the law.

Maryann

ExtremeDooty
June 7, 2004, 02:41 AM
Great story Maryanne, glad you're here.

Don't worry about what you should have or could have done. The difference between the BG's and us is that we play by the rules. You're responsible for your life, not the rest of humanity. You found a way out without having to shoot, which is exactly what you should have done.

Even though he deserved it, if you had shot him, some lawyer would say that you shot the guy just for offering to tow your car or some other nonsense.

The good thing is that these days almost everyone has a cell phone, which you could have used to call the police right away and maybe stopped his getaway.

At least you managed to ruin his day....it's a start.

M2HMGHB
June 7, 2004, 02:46 AM
Welcome aboard Maryann, glad to have you here.

loose cannon
June 7, 2004, 03:09 AM
welcome maryanne and let me urge you not to be worried that all truckers are like that. if id of been in that restarea id have come down on that guy like the a-bomb. btw my wifes named mary and she favors a smith45 auto.
she sleeps now but im printing off your story for her. i beleve itll inspire her
and help her on mindset and scenarios for her own defense. just recently not to far from here a broke down lady motorist was kidnapped raped and murdered. i hope this never comes near my mary but if it does i figure theyll
be planting him. insted of the costly trial and imprisonment this guy will get. take care stay safe practice often loose cannon trucking the sw us

Treylis
June 7, 2004, 09:56 AM
I have a REAL problem being forced to get a CCW in order to provide self defense. In my opinion, requiring an Arizonan to spend money, fill out a bazillion forms, attend classes, and wait weeks for everything to go through is an impairment to self defense. So, I find the CCW to be a violation of the Arizona Constitution.

Ain't that the truth.

Some of us are working to try and at least reduce the current onerousness of our shall-issue law--with a future in Vermont/Alaska carry--but it's definitely an uphill battle. You have to look no further than the recent ridiculousity of the restaurant carry bills--and my own headache-inducing conversations and e-mails with my district Senator, Republican Slade Mead, who voted against it--to see that.

mhdishere
June 7, 2004, 05:17 PM
I've been lurking for a few days now, but this is my first post.

Maryann, I'm glad to "meet" you. Especially since my wife's name is Maryanne! I love to hear stories like yours, especially the happy endings. Perhaps we can paraphrase the old saying: "God made men and women equal, Bill Ruger made them the same size".

I live in NJ, and the only reason things are better for me now is that I moved here from NYC. I keep saying that someday I'm gonna visit AZ (my wife has a friend out there) and bring my S&W 686 with me just so I can wear it. (I assume open carry applies to out-of-state folks too).

Samurai Penguin
June 7, 2004, 09:03 PM
Welcome aboard! I'm another truck driver who hopes you don't think badly of all of us. Hope you stick around!

Meekandmild:

IMHO any imminent danger to oneself OR TO OTHERS OR PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR LIKELY TO PRODUCE SUCH DANGER IN THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE should be one which citizens can use as a defence against such charges.

:confused: :scrutiny: :scrutiny:

Nope. Can't find a single thing wrong with that. :D

gogojaye
June 7, 2004, 09:55 PM
maryann your story was among many stories that my boyfriend sent me to get me used to the idea of having a gun. since it is my job to protect myself not the police dept. look forward to hearing more from you in the future

If you enjoyed reading about "Bitches With Guns: A Lesson In Reality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!