May 12, 2004, 11:05 AM
Some pretty good stuff here! :p
May 12, 2004, 11:18 AM
With that kind of logic, why would I EVER reach for a gun to defend myself?
May 12, 2004, 11:20 AM
RVS .... excellent selection . thought I'd ''bring em over'' .... seeing as we have the link given for credit purposes.Why we need to ban guns
1. Banning guns works, which is why New York, DC, and Chicago cops need guns.
2. Washington DC's low murder rate of 69 per 100,000 is due to strict gun control, and Indianapolis' high murder rate of 9 per 100,000 is due to the lack of gun control.
3. Statistics showing high murder rates justify gun control. But statistics showing increasing murder rates after gun control are "just statistics".
4. The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which went into effect in 1994, are responsible for the decrease in violent crime rates, which have been declining since 1991.
5. We must get rid of guns because a deranted lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid.
6. The more helpless you are, the safer you are from criminals.
7.An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.
8. A woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.
9. When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no defense-give them what they want, or run" (Handgun Control Inc. Chairman Pete Shields, Guns don't die-People do, 1981, p. 125)
10. The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns and Ammo has some excellent treaties on heart surgery.
11. One should consult an automotive engineer for safer seatbelts, a civil engineer for a better bridge, a surgeon for internal medicine, a computer programmer for hard drive problems, and Sarah Brady for firearms expertise.
12. The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1787, refers to the National Guard, which was created 130 years later, in 1917.
13. The National Guard, federally funded, with bases on federal land, using federally-owned weapons, vehicles, buildings, and uniforms, punishing trespassers under federal law, is a "State" militia.
14. These phrases: "right of the people to peaceably assemble", "right of the people to be secure in their homes", "enumerations herein of certain rights shall not be construed to disparage others retained by the people", and "The powers not delegated herein are reserved to the states respectively, and to the people" all refer to individuals. But "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" refers to the state.
15. "The Constitution is strong and will never change". But we should ban and seize all guns thereby violating the 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments of that Constitution.
16. Rifles and hadguns aren't necessary to national defense. Of course, that's why the Army has hundreds of thousands of them.
17. Private citizens shouldn't have handguns because they are not 'military weapons'. But private citizens shouldn't have 'assault rifles' because they are military weapons.
18. In spite of waiting periods, background checks, fingerprinting, government forms, etc. guns today are too readily available, which is responsible for recent school shootings. In the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's, anyone could buy guns at hardware stores, army surplus stores, gas stations, variety stores, Sears mail order, with no waiting, no background checks, no fingerprints, no government forms, and there were no school shootings.
19. The NRA's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign about kids handling guns is propaganda, but the anti-gun lobby's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign is responsible social activity.
20. Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to use them properly, and so simple that they make murder easy.
21. A handgun, with up to 4 controls, is far too complex for the typical adult to learn to use, as opposed to an automobile that only has 20.
22. Women are just as intelligent and capable as men, but a woman with a gun is "an accident waiting to happen" and gun makers' advertisements aimed at women are "preying on their fears."
23. Ordinary people in the presence of guns turn into slaughtering butchers, but revert to normal when the weapon is removed.
24. Guns cause violence, which is why there are so many mass killings at gun shows.
25. A majority of the population supports gun control, just like a majority of the population supported owning slaves.
26. Any self-loading small arm can legitimately be considered a "weapon of mass destruction", or an "assault weapon."
27. Most people can't be trusted, so we should have laws against guns, which most people will abide by because they can be trusted.
28. The right of Internet pornographers to exist cannot be questioned because it is constitutionally protected by the Bill of Rights, but the use of hanguns for self defense is not really protected by the Bill of Rights.
29. Free speech entitles one to own newspapers, transmitters, computers, and typewriters, but self-defense only justifies bare hands.
30. The ACLU is good because it uncompromisingly defends certain parts of the Constitution, but the NRA is bad because it protects certain parts of the Constitution.
31. Charlton Heston, a movie actor as president of the NRA, is a cheap lunatic who should be ignored. But Michael Douglas, a movie actor as a representative of Handgun Control, Inc., is an ambassador for peace who is entitled to an audience at the UN arms control summit.
32. Police operate with backup within groups, which is why they need larger capacity pistol magazines, as opposed to 'civilians' who must face criminals alone and therefore need less ammunition.
33. We should ban "Saturday Night Specials" and other inexpensive hanguns because it isn't fair that poor people have access to guns too.
34. Police officers have some special Jedi-like mastery over handguns that private citizens can never hope to obtain.
35. Private citizens don't need a gun for self protection because the police are there to protect them, even though the Supreme Court says the police are not responsible for their protection.
36. Citizens don't need to carry a gun for personal protection, but Police Chiefs, who are desk-bound administrators who work in a building filled with cops, need a gun.
37. "Assault Weapons" have no purpose other than to kill large numbers of people. The police need assault weapons. You do not.
38. When Microsoft pressures its distributors to give Microsoft preferential promotion, that's bad; but when the Federal Government pressures cities to buy guns only from Smith and Wesson, that's good.
39. Trigger locks do not interfere with the ability to use a gun for defensive purposes, which is why you see police officers with one on their duty weapon.
40. Hangun Control, Inc., says they want to "keep guns out of the wrong hands." Guess what? You have the wrong hands.
41. Ballistic fingerprinting works so well, that of the 19,000 ballistic fingerprints available in the Maryland database, not a single one has helped solve a crime committed with a firearm.
42. Rosie O'Donnell doesn't think that a firearm is necessary for self protection. Which is why her personal body guards have handguns.
43. Senator Diane Feinstein (CA) thinks that a concealed carry permit will not help prevent personal crime, which is why she has one.
Submitted by Paul S
May 12, 2004, 11:52 AM
Well that makes perfect sense :banghead: The sad thing is people believe it does
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.