Hey, anyone here have experience with an Indiana CCW?

PDA

TheLastBoyScout
May 12, 2004, 04:15 PM
I've been considering going to college out there and have a few questions:

How hard would it be for a college student from out of state to get a permit there?

What sort of restrictions are there on carry?

Is there anything specific to Purdue University or the surrounding area to be aware of as far as laws/restrictions go?

If I can get a permit at 18, how would I get 9 millimeter ammo to stay in practice (I think there's a federal 21 y/o restriction on handgun ammo)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey, anyone here have experience with an Indiana CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burbanite
May 12, 2004, 04:31 PM
This (http://www.packing.org./state/index.jsp/indiana) is a good place to start. I could not tell you the specifics of the Purdue situation, but the Indiana (http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=30) forum at AR-15.com has posters from Purdue who may have an answer for you.

El Tejon
May 12, 2004, 04:32 PM
CCW? What's that?:D We have LTCH, aka "the little pink card."

You have to be domiciled here, Last. However, Indiana recognizes the licenses of all states and all foreign countries. Can't you just carry on your PA license (or do you have to be 21 for that)? If can't get a PA license just change your domicile to Indiana and apply for a LTCH at 18.

Indiana: cannot carry on school grounds or school event (no packing to prom, young man) unless you are "passing through" dropping off Jared and Ashley. Cannot carry in secured area of airport.

Locally: Tippecanoe County Jail forbids carrying past sliding doors to pods, but lockers are available. Cannot carry if on House Arrest. Cannot carry into Tippecanoe County Courthouse or risk ordinance violation (small fine) or contempt of court (possible jail and fine).

Purdue has a policy. Can suspend/expel you.

A couple of the strip clubs around here prefer that you do not carry but have not seen signs. They have told guys with visible weapons to take them outside to their cars.

jnojr
May 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
If I can get a permit at 18, how would I get 9 millimeter ammo to stay in practice (I think there's a federal 21 y/o restriction on handgun ammo)?

I do not believe there's a Federal ammo age rule. If local stores won't sell because of age, just order over the Internet from http://www.ammoman.com/ or something... :-)

cordex
May 12, 2004, 05:55 PM
El T,
Perhaps you can clarify something ...
"No guns in school" policy only applies to elementary through high school, right? IOW, Purdue can kick you out, but not charge you with carrying a gun in a school. Right?

I do not believe there's a Federal ammo age rule.
Wrong.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/ts_search.pl?title=18&sec=922
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver -
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the
licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than
eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is
other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or
rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable
cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
There is, however, a loophole.

9mm carbines are not pistols. Still, try getting an ammo distributor to go along with that.

Internet ammo stores make you verify age.

Look into reloading.

dance varmint
May 12, 2004, 07:10 PM
I haven't heard whether the Indiana State Police grants licenses to college students from out of state; their opinion on residence could be the same as the university's. One speedbump is the local chief of police who will at first discourage applicants by saying he recommends disapproval, but is regularly overridden by the state police, which follows shall-issue policy.

Living off-campus at Purdue would be mandatory. And you could just bring a year's supply of 9 from out of state.

A couple of the strip clubs around here prefer that you do not carry but have not seen signs. They have told guys with visible weapons to take them outside to their cars.

Can't believe that nobody touched this. Guys exposing their weapon in a strip club would get a "stern lecture" backstage from a 6-foot-6 biker named Guido, not to mention the most humiliating arrest and publicity. (That thing up at Roselawn is a different matter...)

dance varmint
May 12, 2004, 09:20 PM
You'll need any recognized license to take a handgun to a range in Indiana. However, in the Purdue Rifle and Pistol Club you can shoot .22's in the Armory (50 foot, 40 position range) and sidestep that problem to the best of my knowledge.

El Tejon
May 12, 2004, 10:19 PM
cordex, well, it depends.:D Yes, they can take administrative action against an individual such as double secret probation ("Dean Wormer, it's El Tejon calling on behalf of Delta house"), suspension or expulsion. Jerry Joe (our PA) MAY prosecute you for Criminal Trespass (a separate offense). I have never seen it, but I always tell my guys that it could happen.

dance, first, yes, have to be Indiana domiciled. Second, shame on you, young man! This is the High Road. :D

jn, 21 age rule was foisted upon us by the SSA of '68. On the bright side, it's why we don't have any crime now.:rolleyes:

Justin
May 12, 2004, 10:27 PM
I don't know how easy it would be to get a permit as an out-of-state resident, but assuming you qualify they are very easy to get.

You just have to get printed and go through a background check, and a couple of other things. The permit is good for five years.

For more information check out http://www.packing.org

If you go to Purdue, be sure to look up the Purdue Rifle and Pistol Club. I was a member, as well as several other people who post here on a regular basis. It's a good bunch of folks, and a good club. They shoot .22 rifle and pistol in the ROTC Armory and take trips to an outdoor range at least once a semester to have a BYOG (that's Bring Your Own Gun) get together and BBQ.

Treylis
May 12, 2004, 10:46 PM
Note that it says "licensed dealer". So if you buy your ammo from a non-FFL, it's perfectly kosher. (Unless there's some Indiana law I don't know about there.)

garrettwc
May 12, 2004, 11:23 PM
Indiana: cannot carry on school grounds or school event (no packing to prom, young man) unless you are "passing through" dropping off Jared and Ashley.

El Tejon, where are you getting this from?

Here is the text of the law as it pertains to schools:

Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
(1) in or on school property;
(2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
(3) on a school bus;
commits a Class D felony.

It makes no distinction that I can see for someone "passing through". Is there another part of the law that I have missed?

Ian
May 12, 2004, 11:38 PM
Well, speaking as an Colorado resident who just finished his third year at Purdue...

Getting an Indiana permit requires being considered an Indiana resident (in the legal sense, not the in-state/out-of-state tuition sense). To do that, you will need to have an Indiana address, and either Indiana driver's license or pay Indiana income tax. It's not really concrete; you just need to convince the person you're dealing with that you are a resident. One sneaky hint: they generally won't willingly give permits to people with dorm hall addresses (ie 114 Owen Hall) - but they don't recognize the dorms' street addresses (ie 1165 W. Stadium Ave). :evil: I know one guy personally who lived in a dorm and got his permit that way.

I'm technically a dual resident of Colorado and Indiana because of school, but all my paperwork is Coloradan, and I at that time hadn't worked in Indiana - so the police wouldn't take my application. Granted, I didn't push it too hard (decided I really didn't want a permit in the first place).

In any case, Purdue prohibits carry on campus. If you're caught with a "weapon" (any firearm or knife over 3", among other things) you and your roommate are given 72 hours to vacate and find new housing. It's a rediculus zero-tolerance policy.

Buying ammo isn't really a problem. The local WalMart only cards students about half the time, and you can always find a 21-year-old to get your ammo for you if they do.

The license to transport a pistol deal is pretty loose as well. Besides, in any trip to the range with other Purdue students, at least one will almost always have a permit.

If you do come to Purdue, definitely check out the Rifle & Pistol Club. We meet every Monday night from 7-9 pm in the Armory, where we have a 43-lane, 50-foot range for .22s. If you don't have your own .22 with you, we happily provide both rifles (Anschutz, Marlin, and Kimber) and pistols (S&W 41s, Browning Buckmarks, and Ruger Mk IIs). The club will store guns for you if you live in the dorms, too (storing them in your car is legal and fine with the university as well, though not very secure).

If you have general questions about Purdue, feel free to IM me.

El Tejon
May 13, 2004, 09:16 AM
garret, that is simply a part of Chapter 9, not the entire statute. Look at the entire text of chapter 9!:D (Remember TACS--Title, Article, Chapter, Section). e.g. [Title]35-[Article]47-[Chapter]9-[Section]1.

O.K. see the part where it says "nonapplicability"? Yes, my friend, that is what is called a "loophole.":cool:

Now look at "This chapter does not apply to the following:"

"(3) A person who:
(A) May legally possess a firearm; and
(B) Possess the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from school or a school function." I.C. 35-47-9-1.:)

HTH.

cordex
May 13, 2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks, El Tejon.

Soap
May 13, 2004, 10:01 AM
Purdue is indeed a great shooting community. Now that I'm graduating on Sunday, I can carry all over campus without any restriction by law. But the only thing we need to worry about on campus is the occassional psycho graduate student or one of our foreign guests driving through a storefront because they put it in "D" instead of "R" ;)

Erich
May 13, 2004, 10:07 AM
I would just like to point out that IU is far superior to Purdue. While IU's superiority can be demonstrated in many areas, to keep this post on-topic, I'd point out that when I went there, it had a shooting range inside the Student Union. (IIRC, Tejon was rangemaster at some point.) Additionally, IU's women are more attractive, and we have fewer problems with the driving of our foreign guests.

(I don't really think IU is superior to Purdue - I grew up outside of Purdue - , but my brothers went to Purdue after I went to IU, and I have to keep up appearances. )

El Tejon
May 13, 2004, 10:11 AM
Rangemaster Tejon here. All women of all universities are beautiful.:D I don't discriminate like that, Erich.:evil:

garrettwc
May 14, 2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the follow up El T.

So sitting in line with the soccer moms to pick up and drop off is OK. It's only when you get out of your car and enter the premises that it becomes an issue. Good to know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey, anyone here have experience with an Indiana CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!