Kerry Absence Dooms Jobless Benefits Vote

PDA

kbr80
May 13, 2004, 01:34 AM
Wednesday, May 12, 2004

WASHINGTON — A push by Senate Democrats to extend jobless benefits lost by a single vote yesterday - as their nominee-to-be, John Kerry (search), missed the vote while campaigning in Kentucky.
Kerry, the only senator to miss the vote, said he didn't come back to Washington because "we were told that no matter what would happen, [the Republicans] would change a vote in the Senate and they were not going to let it happen."

The bid to extend federal jobless benefits for an extra 13 weeks failed by 59-40, one short of the 60 votes needed because the cost would exceed last year's budget agreement.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (search), D-N.Y., said almost 130,000 New Yorkers exhausted their jobless benefits between December and April. Opponents note the jobless rate dropped to 5.6 percent and say the emergency aid isn't needed.

President Bush's campaign spokesman, Steve Schmidt, said, "Last month, John Kerry was pushing for the extension of unemployment benefits. Today, he had the chance to actually vote on that question, but was too busy playing politics when he would have made the difference in the Senate."

If you enjoyed reading about "Kerry Absence Dooms Jobless Benefits Vote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
matt33
May 13, 2004, 01:45 AM
But yet he makes it back in an attempt to renew the AWB.

Moparmike
May 13, 2004, 01:49 AM
He wont take time away from "helping out" the downtrodden poor man whom is a symbol of the Democrat's primary base, but he had time to come back and vote away our gun rights.

Most telling, dont you think?

Unlucky
May 13, 2004, 01:58 AM
He didn't even WANT to, since the more folks who are unemployed and desperate, the more promises of a "chicken in every pot," etc. he can make, if only they vote for him. The democratic party has been feeding off ignorance and desperation for years.

Boats
May 13, 2004, 02:00 AM
This same problem with engineered embarrassing votes is what caused Dole to quit the Senate during his '96 suicide mission versus Captain Happypants.

Just another aspect of Kerry's lack of foresight.

RooK
May 13, 2004, 02:31 AM
I find a few things ironic about this...

He missed the vote for jobless benefits
KY is one of the poorest states in the US and could have used it
He was campagning in Louisville, probably people who were already his supporters.
He won't win KY :)

All for the better I guess...

4570Rick
May 13, 2004, 03:01 AM
Why do I get the feeling that Leona Helmsley is more of a constituent (sp) than the poor working class.

capt_happypants
May 13, 2004, 10:29 AM
Ahem.

I am Captain Happypants, and any attempt to link me with William Jefferson "El Pantalones!"Clinton (a.k.a "Mr. Chuckletrousers," "The Little Rock Love Machine," "The Arkansas Hawg") is a direct attack on my honor.

I demand satisfaction! :neener:

Boats
May 13, 2004, 10:50 AM
I demand satisfaction!

I heard Monica is still available if you want leftovers and you'll call her back.:neener:

KMKeller
May 13, 2004, 11:18 AM
That was cold Boats... COLD! Besmirching a man's honor and insinuating that he would have even a skosh of interest in Miss Dribbles is beyond the pale. That and we all know she prefers men who smoke cigars.:what:

greyhound
May 13, 2004, 07:09 PM
Won't hurt him, the kind of people who are for him (Bush haters) won't suddenly change their minds because of unemployment benefits.

The stunt with coming in to vote for the AWB on Super Tuesday will - a lot of serious gunnies who were gonna sit this one out because of their distaste for Bush, now won't.

Antlurz
May 13, 2004, 07:25 PM
greyhound said:Won't hurt him, the kind of people who are for him (Bush haters) won't suddenly change their minds because of unemployment benefits.

Unemployment bennies are only important to those who have had a job and lost it. The professional gimmie-gimmies are unaffected by it, bye and large, since THEIR checks will still show up each month.:what:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/antlurz/evil.gif

Ron

Boats
May 13, 2004, 07:28 PM
A lot of Kerry campaign staffers are going to regret the missed vote when they are unemployed the morning after election day.:D

Standing Wolf
May 13, 2004, 08:45 PM
Dukakis.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kerry Absence Dooms Jobless Benefits Vote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!