Karem Abdul Jabar Pro gunner

PDA

killermarmot
May 13, 2004, 05:30 AM
Was watching a re-run of American Shooter and it was tlaking about trail's end the cowboy shooting event. Looks pretty cool, well anyway I guess Karem Abdul Jabar is huge into the history of the buffalo soldiers and was there talkin it up talking about how these guys are such better role models then rappers and the like. Nice to see when atheletes aren't just overpaid drugged up gansters, then again he's old school. Found one or two things online that said he's a shooter, pretty cool. Anyone else heard about him aside from the American Shooter episode? Where is trail's end, probably too far from here for me to get to regardless.

If you enjoyed reading about "Karem Abdul Jabar Pro gunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stand_Watie
May 13, 2004, 07:21 AM
He's apparently an author too, I'm going to have to read this. I found it searching for any web references to him being a gunner, it looks good.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0688170773.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.historyamericas.com/A_Season_on_the_Reservation_My_Soujourn_With_the_White_Mountain_Apaches_0688170773.html

Book > A Season on the Reservation: My Soujourn With the White Mountain Apaches > Customer Reviews:

Average Customer Rating:

A Season on the Reservation: My Soujourn With the White Mountain Apaches > Customer Review #1:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Must Read

This book is a must read. You dont have to be a basketball fan, African American or Native American to relate to the author or his sojourn. He touches on human issues and lets you into to his life and the lives of the White Mountain Apache. The reader gets an insight into what makes Kareem Abdul-Jabbar tick and some of his passions. The reader gets to know the players of Alchesay High School through the eyes of a true basketball legend and highly intelligent man. You get to see a side of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that the world has never known. I enjoyed this book and found it hard to put it down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Season on the Reservation: My Soujourn With the White Mountain Apaches > Customer Review #2:
An Honest Look at the Man and his Passions

The honesty with which Kareem Abdul-Jabars "A Season On The Reservation" is written is quite refreshing. In this age of spin control, especially when it comes to athletes and other public figures, its nice to see a high-profile individual such as Mr. Abdul-Jabar share his insights and interactions with no noticeable smoke or mirrors. He begins his journey to an Apache reservation with hopes of uncovering some history (Mr. Abdul-Jabar has a fascination with Native-American history) and of sharing his wealth of basketball knowledge with the resident high school basketball squad...

roo_ster
May 13, 2004, 08:55 AM
Cool. Its nice to see how one of the "good guys" infiltrate celebrity culture.

DigMe
May 13, 2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah I remember seeing a celebrity skeet shooting contest on ESPN many years ago and Kareem Abdul Ja-blunt...er Jabar was one of the contestants. He was really pretty good.

He's written other books besides the one listed above I'm pretty sure...I think he wrote one a while back about black heroes that you don't commonly hear about or something.

As far as Kareem being a great stand-up guy...wasn't there a marijuana bust there in the fairly recent future? I think I remember some news story too about him doing some ridiculously jerky thing in a road rage incident. Feel free to correct me or add details to either of the above stories because my memory is hazy.

brad cook

00-Guy
May 13, 2004, 09:57 AM
Not only did he write about basketball on an Indian reservation, but he has a new book on the way out about the all-Black 761st Tank Destroyer Battalion attached to Patton's 3rd Army. It was the unit that Patton quiped about not caring what color they are as long as the can kill [Germans]. It was awarded a Presidential Unit Citiation in 1977 and a member received the Medal of Honor in 1997.

It has been a work of love of his for over 10 years. (Note: It was in the 12 May Washington Post Style section. Check it out at washingtonpost.com.)

Greg L
May 13, 2004, 11:04 AM
He's really very intelligent. I saw him on a celebrity Jeopardy a few years ago. He seemed really pissed at the softball questions that were up on the board. I think that he wound up with twice as many points than the other two combined :D .

boofus
May 13, 2004, 11:08 AM
Didn't he kick Bruce Lee's ass too?

Mute
May 13, 2004, 12:56 PM
Didn't he kick Bruce Lee's ass too?

Nah! He just kicked him in the chest and left a huge footprint in Game of Death. FYI, Kareem was one of Bruce Lee's martial arts student when he was still doing private instruction on his Jeet Kune Do.

Database
May 13, 2004, 06:37 PM
Where is trail's end, probably too far from here for me to get to regardless.

Norco, CA which is about 35 miles mostly east of Los Angeles.

BamBam-31
May 13, 2004, 06:42 PM
James Earl Jones, too. There's a pic of him w/ the employees at one of the local shops. The shop owner asked us to guess the number of firearms "Darth Vader" owned in his collection. I guessed a hundred. Turns out, he owns over 8,000, IIRC. I think he's got Tamara beat.

:D

Justin
May 13, 2004, 06:49 PM
Kareem is also a member of the Valhalla Shooting Club.

Thumper
May 13, 2004, 06:49 PM
Don't forget big Karl Malone, if we're talking basketball player gunnies.

Monkeyleg
May 13, 2004, 07:48 PM
I remember Kareen Abdul Jabar as Lew Alcindor when he played for the Milwaukee Bucks. He was itching to get transferred to another team, because he hated Milwaukee so much for being such a backwater. At the time it ticked me off, but now I think he was right.

atek3
May 13, 2004, 09:06 PM
don't forget jayson williams, just kidding.

atek3

hjrocket
May 13, 2004, 11:16 PM
Jabar was just on Dennis Miller show plugging his new book about black tankers in WW II. He impressed me with his knowledge of military history. Dennis Miller also used one of Georgie Pattons quotes which I have always remembered.

PATH
May 14, 2004, 01:52 AM
Kareem Abdul Jabbar(nee Lew Alcindor) grew up in building 3 of the Dyckman projects. My old stomping grounds. He played for ST. Jude's CYO and then at Power Memorial High School.

Nice to know that someone famous from the old neighborhood supports gun rights. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Karem Abdul Jabar Pro gunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!