Range Snobs

PDA

andy
February 9, 2003, 08:46 PM
We've discussed range idiots but haven't talked about what I call range snobs. They are the guys at the range who give you that disapproving look or walk up and give you a hard time because they do not like the type of gun(s) you are using. You know, the bad evil guns that are not used for duck hunting, the black guns, the milsurps, the handgun that is for concealed carry. They feel that these guns are immoral and that there must be something wrong with you (crazy, potential criminal etc.) for owning one. Have any of you had any experiences with these type of guys? If so what did you do.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Snobs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nsf003
February 9, 2003, 08:51 PM
I think the most common are the Over-under shotgun shooters. The ones that think that the only guns that shouldn't be banned are $2000 skeet and duck guns.

Handguns and Evil Black Rifles are out of the question.

nsf

10-Ring
February 9, 2003, 08:53 PM
I guess I've been lucky. I've not met a goober like that yet (thankfully). It might be as a result of living in CA and gun owners here tend to be glad they've bumped into more gun owners.

Stephen Ewing
February 9, 2003, 08:53 PM
Favorite words from these guys: "Background check?!?!?! On a SHOTGUN!?!?!?!!?"

No matter how many times I hear it, it gets sweeter every time.

I've started to respond with, "What else would it be legal for?" :evil:

Steve

cratz2
February 9, 2003, 08:59 PM
Yeah, the trap/skeet guys are typically the worst.

There's also the folks that hate it when you can shoot your nearly stock $680 Springfield Armory 1911A1 (or even Glock) as well as they shoot their multi thousand dollar Baer, Wilson etc...

And the guys that are there shooting 22s that give a long hard look at the first guy shooting a 357 Magnum or 44 Special. Too big a boom, I suppose. ;) Then again, I've been on both sides of this one.

Ryder
February 9, 2003, 09:08 PM
I thought I was going to have a run in with one once. I was testing out some very heavy magnum loads in my Super Redhawk on the general range while the pistol team was setting up for practice over on the restricted range.

Between strings I noticed they appeared to be observing and discussing me. Then the team captain started heading my way. Figured I was in for a lip lashing because I was shooting too fast or too loud. Felt kind of guilty, I would not purposely try to bother others, but I was there first and only had a few more loads to test.

I couldn't have been more mistaken however. Seems they had some appreciation for my style and we had a nice discussion about the team requirements and schedule. He even invited me to sign up for the team. Nice people, not snobby at all but I rejected the offer because the rules for participation were snobby. It's restricted to specific calibers and styles of firearms none of which I happened to own at the time.

Ninj500
February 9, 2003, 09:09 PM
My current club is full of these bozos. It's in a wealthy suburb of Columbus, OH and if you aren't shooting an $1800 Wilson, they won't give you the time of day. I like walking in with a stock Glock, or God forbid, a Ruger P89 and out shoot them. Thing is, I'm not that great of a shot! Luckily, there are "normal" friendly shooters that frequent the range and they are a pleasure to shoot with. Thursday is a free night for members and the snobs usually stay away, it offends their delicate sensibility to rub elbows with the rabble. Just for fun I'll sometimes try to stike up conversation with one of the "better people" to see how they react. Most often, I get a roll of the eyes and a snide smile. Even better is the reaction I get when I ask if they want to shoot my $200 Argentine HP. :D

BigG
February 9, 2003, 09:29 PM
There are some that try to buy skill. I get a laugh out of watching some of the guys with expensive O/Us get outshot by birdhunters with their pumps at our skeet/trap range. Every once in a while somebody knows how to work one of those fancy smokepoles so it don't pay to tar everybody with the same brush.

Spackler
February 9, 2003, 09:40 PM
I took a buddy's FN-FNC to the range. I was shooting the hanging steel plate at 200 yards. Guy says to me "What're you gonna do with that? You can't hunt with that."

I said "depends on what you're hunting."

tomkatz
February 9, 2003, 09:49 PM
I don't know why they can't just think of us all as shooters. I particularly enjoyed one time when I was shooting my 308 bolt action, a couple guys show up with ar15 guns, they are looking at me like they think I will be a range snob, so I pull out my bushmaster and cut loose, we all become friends. I still get together with those two guys.....tom

Braz
February 9, 2003, 10:03 PM
Went to the outdoor range on Fri,

There were many folks shooting M1As, ARs and AKs. Next to us was an older fellow shooting black powder long rifles. We were shaking out the new SKS and he gruffly suggested a screen so our ejects didn't go down his neck. None were handy, but we searched until we found one before shooting. This seemed to warm him up a bit, and when we politely refrained from shooting while he took long careful aim, he warmed up even more.

We introduced ourselves and enjoyed learning some basics about the beautiful percussion rifles he was shooting. To our left a few lanes was a young guy with a M1A he had wrapped in sniper camo net. But what caught my eye was his combat boots had spurs attached. Maybe he rode nearby before shooting, but I'd never seen that before, and we commented on it after he walked by. You know, kind of a shaken head and a knowing smile between my buddy and myself.

But the older shooter saw us and spouted "A sniper wanna-be. These kids wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in Nam." He went on to say he'd shot enough military weapons, and never wanted to touch them again. It was obvious he held most of the mil-rifle shooters in contempt. If your not going to war, why have a war weapon? I felt for the old fellow, and didn't have the heart to argue with him. But it struck me how we interpret life's info to meet our image of how things should be.

If only we could set our differences aside and focus on collective gun rights, imagine how powerful we could be? He was gracious, and I hope a little less inclined to demonize military weapon shooters. But I'm still wondering about those spurs on combat boots! Did I miss a fad? ;)

hansolo
February 9, 2003, 10:14 PM
I don't hate the rich 'cause I want to be one; that said, there are a couple of guys at my outdoor gunclub who have very sweet STI fully tricked-out .38 Super IPSC pistols. The two fellows break out their homemade loads, all carefully labeled in clean plastic containers. Then, as I'm loading up my plain jane CZ 75B, they start to spray & pray at the steel plates: thing is, none of the 5" plates are dropping:confused: The two guys start LOUDLY complaining that the gunsmith who set up their red-dot sights screwed up. I ask if I can try one. The one guy eyes my black CZ, nervously. "O.K., but be really careful...this is a $5,000.00 gun." I had never shot a pistol with electronic sights. "Just put the red dot where you want to hit." says the fellow. I am not bragging, as we were only about 20 feet from the steel plates. BANG-ding, BANG-ding, etc. Six shots fired, six plates down. "Wow!", I say, "Cool gun!. Thanks" I guess I didn't know any better. The two guys mutter something as I walk over to the next lane. NICE pistols!...but, $5,000.00?:rolleyes:

Wildalaska
February 9, 2003, 10:20 PM
Class warfare among gun owners..love it!

WildkrieghoffAlaska

Uncle Ethan
February 9, 2003, 10:21 PM
One of my better friends [ now deceased] was a regular guy except for trap shooting. He shot with a group at Miramar and didn't want me coming and shooting with them with just my std 870- said it would embarress him. He drove a 911 Targa and shot O/U Brownings. Other than that one Snobish area he was a regular guy.

BerettaNut92
February 9, 2003, 10:33 PM
I used to shoot skeet with a Super Black Eagle with a 4-rd extension.

Never got any funny looks. As 10-ring said, maybe CA folks are just happy to see other shooters?

Sometimes get remarks about my HKs being overpriced Glocks or people warning me that my Beretta locking block is going to break after 2500 rounds.

coonan357
February 9, 2003, 10:34 PM
oh mine has to deal with a range just outside crooked county (cook county ) Il , its near a well to do neightborhood and all the little punks come in with there glocks ( I actually have nothing against them just prefer steel firearms that look nice ) thinking they are the S**t , then they make a comment about my wheel guns and my old pokey 1911 (ahem gentleman thats a coonan ) they cant hit the targets at 25 feet and I am popping them at full lane length 75' then I pull out the coonan and let it go ! 1 shot and the range gets real quiet. Hmmm I wonder why ?? its only a .45 ...... NOT ! :scrutiny:

jsalcedo
February 9, 2003, 11:41 PM
I took my brother in law and his sons out shooting one time
and we were doing steel plate with my Taurus 66 .357.

These two tactical types with buzz cuts and black gear show up behind us and ask if we can take turns with them.

I'm a easy going guy so I agree.

One guy breaks out the timer beeper and as one holds it over the other guys ear and screams "HIGH READY" LOW READY"
The shooter had a S&W 40 and when the beep went off all I heard was a click. The dude looks incredulously at his gun
and jacks a round into the chamber. He then sprays all his rounds
and misses all the plates. Then he reloads and forgets to click off the safety then sprays the plates again and gets 1 out of 6.

All the while they are screaming like Drill instructors and wallowing in their tactical juices.

When their debaucle is over my 12 year old nephew (first time shooter) calmly drops six plates in 3.5 seconds with the Taurus.

The Dudes in black start tuning shades of red and purple and start to scream drill nonsense at each other even louder and the
other guy has a hicap glock 9mm and drops zero plates with 17 rounds.

I look down at their gear bags and jackets and realize these guys are SWAT.

My turn came up and I had to make a statement. So I whipped out my DAVIS .380 nickel plated POS and proceed to knock down
5 out of 6 plates rapid fire. the 6th plate failed to go down because I hit it a little low and the last round didn't have enough power to push the plate all the way back.

The SWAT guys are truly seething at this point and my nephew innocently tells them:

"maybe you need more magazines for your guns so you can get all the plates next time"

That was my first encounter with range snobs

Mike Irwin
February 9, 2003, 11:54 PM
Oh yeah, I've met them before.

Had words with some of them, become friends with others.

Some of the worst I've ever encountered are the shotgunners. I've been "snobber" a couple of times for shooting a goose gun on a sporting clays range. I usually let my gun do my talking for me, but some of them just don't know when to STFU...

I posted a loud, long harrang (sp?) about them over at TFL...

Carbon_15
February 10, 2003, 12:09 AM
Oh I just LOVE range snobs. Probly because I (outwardly) fit their profile of the young punk. I'm 25, but I look much younger, drive (drove, wifes divorce lawyer probly has it now) a red Mustang car, listen to classic rock (atleast in the car on the way to the range, at home its more Miles Davis and Ana Carrom), wear stuff from Old Navy (so my camo and flanel dosnt get messed up with gunpowder and CLP:p ) and shoot lots of evil black military looking hardware...preferably really fast. Never mind that I can break clays all day long with an 18in. cylinder bore shotgun, or make the plate rack SING with a el-cheapo Charles Daly 1911, and pop skeet of the 200yd berm with an evil black ironsighted M4 with suprising quickness.
Its only AFTER they are through snickering at me and my friends 'spray and pray' rapid fire shooting and silly IDPA running around quick-draw-tac.-reloading antics that we let 'em see the targets with the nice tight little gorups. Sometimes I'll even remind them to keep their head down and follow though or give them one of my business cards. Apearances can be deceptive, and assertions are often dangerous.

Yes, range snobs are fun..almost as fun as the super-tactical mall ninja wannabes (not the real ones though, they are just too cool for words;) )

Carbon_15
February 10, 2003, 12:15 AM
One guy breaks out the timer beeper and as one holds it over the other guys ear and screams "HIGH READY" LOW READY"The shooter had a S&W 40 and when the beep went off all I heard was a click. The dude looks incredulously at his gun
and jacks a round into the chamber. He then sprays all his rounds
and misses all the plates. Then he reloads and forgets to click off the safety then sprays the plates again and gets 1 out of 6.
All the while they are screaming like Drill instructors and wallowing in their tactical juices
:D LMAO

Too funny J

Ikari
February 10, 2003, 12:23 AM
Fortunately, I haven't had any run-ins with the snobs. Everyone I've met has fallen into two categories:
A) Moron, but they've never really irritated me before.
B) Friendly, no problems with swapping guns to 'try a piece of strange'.

Guess I've just been lucky till now.

geekWithA.45
February 10, 2003, 12:28 AM
The fact that we have guns at all make us different, strange, and beleaguered, and we know it.

Now as for testosterone/ humility imbalances, that's another issue entirely....

Slightly OT, but the trend I've noticed in the last few months is cool and noteworthy:

I shoot once or twice a week, and literally every time, there's a newbie in there getting their first pistol, and the "evil" black guns are flying off the shelves....

A year ago, someone uncased an XM-15, to general consternation, now there's generally a rackful of them out on the line. :neener:

Zundfolge
February 10, 2003, 12:35 AM
A friend of mine works for an armored car company in Canada. They don't allow him to carry his own gun, they require him to check out one of their extremely poorly maintained .38 S&W wheel guns.

He tells a funny story of when he and a bunch of other new hires had to qualify with these POS revolvers. Apparently while they where all struggling to hit their targets there was an IPSC shooter practicing at the same range with his high dollar custom race gun. He kept chuckling about how bad they where shooting, and made some rude comment about their abilities when their instructor said "If you think you can do better, come give it a try."

He picked up his race gun and started to head over when the instructor said "No, not with that gun ... with this." and hands him one of the crap revolvers.

At this point he was trapped and so he steps up to the firing line and empties the revolver in the general direction of the target.

He didn't shoot well enough to qualify.

JeremyIA
February 10, 2003, 01:01 AM
Braz--That gentleman with the spurs on his boots could be in the military or he could be ex-military. He may have been a Cavalry soldier. They are darn proud of their spurs even though their horses are just for ceremonial purposes for the most part.

BerettaNut92
February 10, 2003, 01:21 AM
The overwhelming majority of folks I run into at the public ranges are pretty friendly, even the (apparent) punks seem to be more curious than showing an attitude.

I agree about some guys having too much testosterone.

Only time I really run into characters are at the matches, IMO they take the game a little too seriously....

Nightcrawler
February 10, 2003, 01:33 AM
I don't know if this is snobbery so much as sexism. I took my student shooting once, an attractive young woman, to say the least. We were at the range during one of the M1 Garand matches, and all of the old Yooper bucks were there with their Garands and other pieces.

She and I set up at the 50 yard target slot and she shoots her .357 Magnum lever carbine. She's having trouble at first; she was unused to shooting at paper targets and that was longer ranged than much of her previous stuff.

We discovered that she was unable to get a cheek weld with her rifle. Combine that with the terrible spring-loaded trigger and crude sights, and she wasn't doing so well.

In any case, we were minding our own business, and a couple of these old guys come around.

"You don't seem to be hitting the target there, little lady!" accompanied with sarcastic chuckles. A few condescending comments later, and she was STEAMING.

Eventually, they went into the clubhouse to drink beer and we had the place to ourselves, and she cut her teeth on my CZ-97. Needless to say, if people like those "gentlemen" are representative of it's membership, it's no wonder the NRA has trouble recruiting women. And from what some TFLers told me after the incident, she wasn't the only female shooter to run into a little bias or obnoxious chuckles.

I don't ask for PC; in fact, I can't stand it. But there's a lot to be said for treating people with respect. All because she's an attractive blonde doesn't mean she's stupid. (On the contrary, she's a physics major and is easily the smartest person I've ever met. You don't realize it until she starts talking about what she studies, then it hits you..."wow, this stuff is WAY over my head"...)

Airwolf
February 10, 2003, 01:41 AM
We've been soooo lucky in this regard. We go and shoot at a good open, unsupervised public range in Arizona every month or so. Everyone we've met has either minded their own business or has been friendly.

Usually we take the collection (10 handguns, 4 rifles and shotgun) and spend a full day.

The one time I thought we were going to have trouble a gentleman approaches us and asks what kind of rifle I was shooting in a rather incredulous manner. Turns out he was a cop over at the police range about 400 yards away and they had all heard and took notice of my Russian M-44 :D

Shot some rounds for him and his kids (big smiles all around).

We got to chatting and this cop was one of the most avid RKBA supporters I've ever encountered. When he found out we were from **********, I got more sympathy than I could imagine. Several times he said "don't ever give up your guns. Never let them take them".

The sound you hear is me knocking on wood that we keep having good experiences at the range.

rick458
February 10, 2003, 01:56 AM
Fortunately Never:)

Amegatek
February 10, 2003, 02:00 AM
My current club is full of these bozos. It's in a wealthy suburb of Columbus, OH and if you aren't shooting an $1800 Wilson, they won't give you the time of day. I like walking in with a stock Glock, or God forbid, a Ruger P89 and out shoot them. Thing is, I'm not that great of a shot! Luckily, there are "normal" friendly shooters that frequent the range and they are a pleasure to shoot with. Thursday is a free night for members and the snobs usually stay away, it offends their delicate sensibility to rub elbows with the rabble. Just for fun I'll sometimes try to stike up conversation with one of the "better people" to see how they react. Most often, I get a roll of the eyes and a snide smile. Even better is the reaction I get when I ask if they want to shoot my $200 Argentine HP.

I shoot at the range you are talking about. I must shoot at the right time, b/c I usually have the range to myself! ;) I shoot during the week in the morning, usually as close to 10:00 am as possible. However, the few other shooters I have run into were not snobs. And I shoot a Ruger p89! Just lucky I guess. :cool:

Kahr carrier
February 10, 2003, 02:39 AM
Havent run into any Snobs at the range I shoot at. Most of the people are pretty friendly or keep to themselves which is okay.:)

sixgun_symphony
February 10, 2003, 02:56 AM
A friend of mine works for an armored car company in Canada. They don't allow him to carry his own gun, they require him to check out one of their extremely poorly maintained .38 S&W wheel guns.

Why not find a good gunsmith? Those S&W wheelguns can be tuned up really nice.

Braz
February 10, 2003, 03:21 AM
Thanks Jeremy,

I was wondering if that was the case. Do they really wear spurs on combat boots? If so, guess I was the snob! :eek:

blitzer0101
February 10, 2003, 03:23 AM
My Shooting partner won't use my choice in ranges anymore.

Venting time again!

One day we had several Goobers walking around with loaded weapons behind the line. I agree on the goobers being out of line. :what:

A loud argument between 2 shooters at the checkout counter over how many boxes of ammo each of them used is a bit too much. And I observed, what looked like, a straw man deal go down in the range while I was watching them shoot!

The Mall Ninjas in camo make me edgie.

The LEOs who can't shoot a pattern at 15 feet getting unhappy when he sees you watching thru the window on the store's floor is curious.

Being watched by store pesonnel as I shoot to lockback makes me un-nerved. :rolleyes: Zippering the target off to the right 2" makes me unhappy. :confused:

The neighboring guy makes a comment about not being outdone by my 12ga before he pulls the .44 mag out of his carrier was macho (read rude)!

My shooting partner complains that one guy next to me was too loud as he was shooting a .44 mag as well as making issue with my 12ga. He can't focus? Descipline and practice makes one imune to noise and it is part of being at an indoor range. Maybe he should take up orgami.

Rude and obnoxious people are part of life but I don't have to like it. :scrutiny:

jsalcedo
February 10, 2003, 03:56 AM
I can relate to people getting upset at the calibers you shoot next to them.

I reloaded a bunch of 240 LSWC behind 15 grains of blue dot for my 629 .44mag

To me this is not a full on load but a stiff yet
manageble factory type loading.

The range is one long table and I'm next to
a guy with a Browning HP and some 1911s.

I begin shooting the .44 but I wait until the guy next to me is finished with his string.

All I get is eye rolling and whispers to his shooting buddies (which aren't whispers because we are all wearing hearing protection)"sheesh who needs a monster gun like that" "He must think he is dirty harry or something"

I try to blow it off and still be considerate so I give the guy another chance and I comment on what nice pistols he brought and if he would like to try the .44 because I noticed him commenting on it.

The guy rolls his eyes again and says " I have no use for those kind of guns they are just way too much in my opinion"

Then the guy starts making fun of me for picking up brass.......

So I flip around load a cylinder and rapid fire double action all 6 rounds one handed into a shoot n see at 15 yards. I guess luck was with me..
All the rounds were in a 4 inch circle with 2 holes touching.

The guy muttered something about a whacko picked up his stuff and left. :fire:

If you looked up gun-snob in webster there would be a picture of that dude.

Dannyboy
February 10, 2003, 09:03 AM
Braz,
Like the horses, the spurs are also ceremonial. Cav guys usually have to go through some kind of initiation/field exercise thing, uaually a long road march and lane stakes. They are then presented in front of the unit. That's how it worked in 1/10 Cav at Ft. Hood. I couldn't tell you if that's a standard thing.

Tropical Z
February 10, 2003, 10:09 AM
I've had some people ridicule my Hi-Point,that is until it out shoots their $500.00+ handgun and then they get pissed and leave me alone.

wanderinwalker
February 10, 2003, 01:26 PM
Not many snobs at my range. Mostly just people trying to have fun and maybe hit the target a few times. The shotgunners are funny though. I watched a trap guy practicing "difficult angles" one day. Geez!

No offense intended to trap shooters, and I will say that I have never have shot true trap, but what is so difficult about it? I can powder 24 of 25 handthrown clays with my little 20ga 870 and not even think about it. A multi-thousand dollar 12ga trap gun and nice predictable targets, I should be able to hit most of those too!

Outlander
February 10, 2003, 03:05 PM
No snobs at the range I go to ... everyone there is great.
The only time there is a "problem" is when any cops come in to shoot. Range rules do not apply to them (or so they think).
Rapid fire, double taps and shooting closer than 10 yards are not allowed yet they always ignore those rules.
Thankfully the range officer gets on them like ugly on an ape and if they argue, they are asked to leave.
A side note here ... the ones I've been able to identify as cops are some of the worst shots I've ever seen. Most of them couldn't hit a cow in the *** with a banjo. I can only hope they have desk jobs. It's scary to know theyre allowed to carry and use firearms, but thats NJ for you.

PATH
February 10, 2003, 03:30 PM
Sometimes the guys with the shotguns that cost more than your car are fairly nice and sometimes they are not. I have met one or two yo-yos but most shooters I have met are fairly decent.

Carlos Cabeza
February 10, 2003, 03:42 PM
What about the guy who asks all kinds of questions and talks to everyone and wants to shoot YOUR gun and...............:D
that would be me !

Russ
February 10, 2003, 03:47 PM
I've never been hasseled by a range snob. I lived in the PRK most of my life too. I have some of those evil short pistols good only for killing people and have never had word one said to me except when this LEO next to me asked to try my Kahr. He let me shoot his Glock in exchange. The only time I ever gave anyone the evil eye at a range was when his hot .308 FAL kept bouncing off of me. He just moved down and we were fine.

Brad Johnson
February 10, 2003, 04:43 PM
I don't have a specific tale pertaining to species Snobicus Firearm Idiotus. I CAN remember several times going to the rifle range and seeing a couple of multi-thousand-dollar-custom-rifle-totin' snobs get their fannies thoroughly and truly kicked by some grizzled old farm hand shooting a beat-up generic department store rifle.

Ahhh, the memories that warm the heart. :D

Brad

CZ-75
February 10, 2003, 05:13 PM
Range rules do not apply to them (or so they think).

Nor do any other rules that must be obeyed by ordinary citizens, or so they think (rightfully so, most of the time).

I've never met any range snobs pertaining to guns, really. Some were know-it-alls in other respects--probably didn't get near them enough to notice their snobish tendencies specific to firearms.

Smoke
February 10, 2003, 05:43 PM
Really only once....

I went to a friends private range. His brother and a bunch of his friends were there also. They all had high dollar rifles with higher dollar scopes. They started bragging and boasting (some of them could do it too....) but I had just aquired my N.E.F 45-70.

I got it out and wanted to shoot it. I went to a bench and one of the guys looked at it and said "it has to be $2000.oo and up to shoot from this bench".

I ignored him and settled in on a sign at 225 yards. Hit it three times in a row and the 3rd shot knocked it over.

Everybody wanted to shoot my $200 gun after that. We ended up having a good time.

On a sperate note:

A guy I work with an have been instructing went to get his CHL this past weekend. He shot a 247 out of a possible 250. WIth a cheap Firestorm 1911. 2nd place out of a group of 15.

He said there were 2 Kimbers, a Wilson, 3 Glocks and some other stuff he couldn't identify. My friend said everybody asked him what he was shooting after the run and nobody could beleive it.

I always said it aint the arrow, its the indian.

SoDFW Jason
February 10, 2003, 06:14 PM
I've had encounters with the "homeys" and their sideways shooting, the "tactical" 50 year old with combover and cokebottleglasses (for some reason they all have FALs), and generally careless people but those are rare occurences. Most every range trip I make a new friend and get to shoot tons of guns I would never be able to own(read:high dollar rigs).

What steams me are the IPSC guys who MAKE me shoot with them and I go home ammoless:D

Seriously, my shooting buddy and I went to our private range on a "match day"(IPSC) to watch a match. Here are all these guys in their "tactical" gear and range bags worth twice what my pistol is and I thought:rolleyes: before the match started some of the guys came up to us and asked if we were shooting, we told them no, and they proceeded to tell us YES we were. Just a hell of a bunch of nice guys who taught me more about "practical" shooting in one day than I'd ever learned in my shooting career.

People that are new to shooting who take my CHL classes are sometimes nervous about going to the range because they don't want to look "stupid" for not knowing much. I explain to them that 99% of other shooters will be friendly and try to help them learn(provided they are being safe) techniques and so forth. I haven't been proven wrong yet. Now, I see those same people that didn't know &$(@ about shooting trying to help new shooters at the range. Makes me feel proud:D

Peetmoss
February 10, 2003, 06:25 PM
I havn't ment any range snobs or just misserable jerks. I guess I am lucky I belong to a private club that is full of working folk and retired working folk. I hope I continue my good luck.

bedlamite
February 10, 2003, 06:45 PM
I've run into the same thing several times. Distributing literature for CCW last year, one club (shotgun only) asked me to leave when they found out what I wanted to leave there. I'll not step across their threshold again.

We also have several sporting clays courses around here, and you I've occasionally run across people that harumphed when I brought out the Rem 870 express. Once when one of the snobs was keeping score on the last station, he made another comment under his breath about cheap pump guns not being able to hit anything. When he wasn't watching I dropped one in the chamber and filled the tube (no plug). I hit both birds on the first two shots, kept shooting until it was empty and hit several more pieces. The look on his face was priceless, and the crew I came with was still ROTFL when he missed those same two birds. :D

Gunhead
February 10, 2003, 06:57 PM
So we have our (fortunately small) share of range snobs - like the "serious" bullseye snobs who can shoot a .22LR Hammerli 280 only two handed and always bitch about "problems" with the 2000$+ pistol and the ammo. I just love to outshoot them with a sub 100$ russian MCM/Margolin. :D

The IPSC snobs are even worse with their 3000-5000$ STI/SVI raceguns. They are constantly in need of new supercustom spaceage parts, magic compensators, the latest multi-colored optic, and a "better" gunsmith, of course. I just love to see when the National Open Champion (young, but poor guy) outshoots them by 8-10% with his really crappy (most of the rifling is gone, chunks missing from the muzzle crown!), open CZ-75. :D

XLMiguel
February 11, 2003, 11:08 AM
I've been pretty lucky (then again, I hven't been shooting all that long or at that many places), but I have run into some inconsiderate/careless people and a few arogant folks, but mostly I've met nice people.

I figure those who only shoot one type of gun or limit themselves to one kind of shooting lack imagination. Why limit your fun? I only own handguns at the moment, but I haven't met a gun that I didn't learn something from (and have some fun with) and in my lifetime, I'd like to become proficient at all kinds of shooting sports (I do have some preferences, though). To each their own, but variety is the spice of life.

Pendragon
February 11, 2003, 01:24 PM
I figure those who only shoot one type of gun or limit themselves to one kind of shooting lack imagination.

Or maybe some people want to specialize to see how far they can go in a single discipline.

Personally, I would prefer few, better guns and more practice time and ammo than adding to my collection. A good 1911 or two and a few good revolvers seems like all I really need. I suppose some would call you snobby for thinking we need variety and I would be a snob for thinking it is better to develop competence with fewer guns.

XLMiguel
February 11, 2003, 07:02 PM
OKfine. I just meant don't knock it if you haven't tried it, e.g., in all likelihood, I prolly won't get around to gaining much proficiency at long range marksmanship with the .50 BMG, and I appreciate that people naturally gravitate to what they like best (and we're all limited in some way by time and/or $$), but I'd never turn down a chance to shoot something new. How're you going to know if you don't try?

Just a vote for informed choice:cool:

Pendragon
February 11, 2003, 07:46 PM
I gotcha.

I bought a .22 Rifle a while ago and did not enjoy it. It was not overly reliable (Rem 597 HB) and my eyesight/glasses do not help wither (my glasses do not square to the scope and it distorts too much).

Anyway - I realized that I enjoyed shooting my handguns and I also realized that I was a pretty horrible shot. (note: man admitting he is not a very good shot with a gun)

Anyway - I wanted to get a shotgun and all kinds of stuff, but I wanted to stick to my pistols until I was decent with them.

Now that I am decent, even good, I want to become excellent. The general level of pistol marksmanship is horrible if range targets tell anything. This tells me I may have better odds than many think if I get in a gun fight :what:

Arcli9ht
February 11, 2003, 08:02 PM
At my old range, there were more blowhards and snobs than you could shake a stick at. A buddy and I both went in on getting HK's, a USC for him and an SL8 for me. I know these aren't cheap guns (believe me, I KNOW), but whenever we went to the range, we would try to use our time as a learning experience. i.e. shoot as many different guns as possible, talk to everyone on the line who would listen and answer questions, and do as much shooting as we could afford.

For the most part, the people were nice but always there were the blowhards that because we didn’t have their brand of gun, or they didn’t like HK for whatever reason, or we weren't trying to train like military snipers, or whatever reason they could come up with for not liking us, would make fun of our stuff.
"It can only hold 10 rounds?! What good is that?!" <funny, I don’t remember the last time my house was stormed by 11 intruders>

Or they'd try to pick on my shooting style
"No! your thumb/arm/shoulder/elbow should be up/down/left/right/cut off/whatever."

Or even my reasons for shooting
"You don't buy a gun like that just to shoot paper every week"
I go because shooting is fun, not because I am training for war or keeping the king of England out of my face.

Also, there was a clique of AR fans who would hang out on the far left of the range (and since ARs spit brass out to the right, they rained hot metal on everyone).

They would snicker and call everyone who had a .223 rifle (Mini, HK, even bolt actions) that wasn’t an AR an idiot. :cuss:

It's because of people like that that we left that range and started using one that was a little further away but has the nicest people. (Including one who let me use his HK Mk. 23 SOCOM... DROOOOL)

Feels good to vent.

/Arcli9ht

BTW - I don't want to piss off the AR people, I want to get the little bushie M4 like you wouldn’t believe. $$$ is always the issue.

LiquidTension
February 13, 2003, 01:07 AM
I probably have more poo flung at me by range snobs than any of you guys. I know why it is, too. First of all, I'm 22 and have been shooting as often as possible for about 4 years. Even now, I get looks from ppl like "hey, look at the KID over there." Second, when I go to the range I wear some black BDU pants that I bought specifically for wearing when I'm gonna get dirty. My normal pants are khakis and not cheap, so I don't wanna ruin them. No denim in my closet either, just don't like it. It has nothing to do with being "tactical." I just wanted a pair of pants that could take a beating without me worrying about it. Half the time I'm wearing sandals with 'em too, that gets a few odd looks. When I break out the FAL and the AK the looks get even worse. Nobody has actually said anything to me though, probably because after I squeeze off a few rounds and hit what I'm aiming at, they can't complain about my age and all that. When I break out the Kimber from my carry holster...hehe, that always raises a few eyebrows.

You guys should have seen the looks I got in my CWP class (6 months after I turned 21). Classic. Then I shot better than all but 2 of the other guys and the looks changed.

I used to have a horrible time in gun shops. Now all the employees know me in all the shops in town. They also know that I have good taste. Thankfully I don't have to fight for service anymore. Unfortunately it doesn't matter since I don't have money anymore!

The only time I really remember people vocalizing what their faces were already saying was when I went to SLED to get my fingerprints for my CWP application. The lady said, "you're kinda young to have this aren't you?" "The state legislature doesn't seem to think so." She was quiet after that.

I never look down on people at the range because of how they look or what they're shooting. One time I did vocalize my disdain for some idiot shooting a black powder rifle, though. This guy came up, set up a target. We shot while he prepped his rifle, then called for cease fire (which everyone acknowledged) and went down to check targets and such. Mr. Black Powder decides that no warning is necessary before he shoots. Oh, BTW, someone was still on the other side of the firing line, coming back from changing targets. None of us had our hearing protection on, so we were a little pissed. Then we're all shootin, having a good time and this moron just starts walkin downrange! I see him and yell cease fire so he doesn't get shot (I almost regret that sometimes, he's bound to get someone killed some day). He looks at his target, leaves it up on the POST where he had put it (you know, the post that holds the ribbon up to put targets on), grabs his gun and walks to his car, then drives away. Idiot.

Wow this was longer than expected, sorry guys :)

- LT

Carbon_15
February 13, 2003, 11:28 AM
LiquidTension, Ryan, is that you buddy (its me, Weaver, the guy with the Glcok 10mm's and Carbon Fiber AR). That had to be at Indian Creek Rifle range. I was there that day..or another day when something very similar happened.

1badmagnum
February 13, 2003, 12:18 PM
my local range allows cameras and videos to be taken in the shooting area,makes for an interesting way to showcase your talent.and putting some of these bozos on america's funniest videos's or america's dumbest criminals does wonders to fix the snobbish type:)
havent run into any of these types at my range praise the lord!:what:

seldomseen
February 13, 2003, 12:47 PM
Typically, I think most often I have encountered snobbery with the shotgun sports. I have shot a lot of trap and skeet through the years. I enjoy the shotgun sports in spite of the snobs. Sometimes, I have found that some people who come off as snobs at the skeet range, actually are really nice guys and are willing to give out a lot of free good advice to new shooters. I think that some of them are actually realizing that if they don't continue to get new blood into the sport, they could very well see the end of skeet and trap shooting. I respect someone who can run 25 straight, regardless of what gun they are shooting. There are those who won't bother with you if you are not toting a Perazzi, or a Kreighoff, but most of them aren't that way, at least where I shoot. When I was younger, I thoroughly enjoyed out shooting the guys with the fancy guns. I've seen spoiled rich kids throw Perazzi shotguns in a snowdrift because they couldn't break targets at 16 yd trap. I just ignore the snobs when I encounter them. I have found that people at pistol and rifle ranges on average are much nicer and more down to earth than the people at the trap and skeet ranges. Trap and skeet are a lot like golf in that the equipment you bring is almost as important as how well you can use it. Not to offend anyone on this board who is a golfer, but you know what I mean. Personally I still adhere to the idea that it isn't nearly as important what I use to break clays with as long as I can break them. I would rather run 25 straight with a Mossberg 500 than break 10 with a "B" gun.

PJR
February 13, 2003, 01:13 PM
Well if you resent me or consider me a snob because I scrimped and saved for years to buy a quality target shotgun that's your problem not mine. If it makes you feel warm all over if you happen to beat me with your Mossberg, your Stevens or your even your slingshot for that matter then have a nice day. I'm not at the range to prove anything, apparently however you are.

I frequently read on the websites about the crushing humiliation inflicted upon elitist, snobbish shotgunners by salt of the earth country boy with a worn old pump gun and a glint in his eye.:rolleyes: Truth is I don't see it happening in real life very often. Not to say it doesn't happen, it just seems to happen far more often on the web than at the range.

Paul

Freedom in theSkies
February 13, 2003, 03:27 PM
I've never really found a dollar value attached to the attitude of the shooist, but it is interesting to see some folks get the superiority complex happening. Best case is when you can bait them to go for a bit of friendly competition...
Some of them leave the range somewhat sheepishly...:evil:

seldomseen
February 13, 2003, 07:40 PM
PJR

I have no idea if you are a snob or not. I don't know you. I certainly don't resent you. You may very well be the nicest person on earth. I don't care what kind of target shotgun you own. You had to earn the money to buy it, not me. The fact does remain though that there is a certain amount of snobbery involved with the clay target sports. Moreso than other shooting that I have been involved in. As I said in my earlier post, some of the nicest people I have met at the skeet ranges are the ones who take the sport seriously enough to invest in higher end shotguns. When I shoot skeet or trap I could not care less if the rest of the group breaks 1 target or all 25. I am competing against myself. If you were offended by anything I posted, forgive me, I meant no personal affront toward you or anyone else on this board. I was speaking in generalities.

PJR
February 13, 2003, 08:44 PM
seldomseen:

No need to apologize. I wasn't responding as much to your post as to the general assumption running through the thread that anyone with an expensive gun be it a handgun, rifle or shotgun is somehow looked down on. This is familiar terrain on The Firing Line.

I've seen the snobbish attitude in clay target sports and one of my favorite episodes was the evening when some of the IDPA shooters dropped by to shoot some targets. Some of the shooters cringed when they saw the short barreled pump guns and semis but the rangemaster, a crusty fellow at best, ended the griping when he said, "They paid for their rounds, their guns are legal, they are handling them safely, they are welcome at our club any time." Case closed.

I frequently trot out my HD pump gun for an evening of skeet. I don't shoot it as well as my regular target gun but I have fun just the same.

Paul

Redlg155
February 13, 2003, 10:13 PM
It's been a while since I've encountered a range snob. Most folks I shoot with are pretty social and like to talk about and showcase their guns. Many times I've had the opportunity presented to try a particular weapon or I've offered someone who has interest in mine to try a few shots.

But then I shoot at a club range. More often than not I have the range to myself.

Good SHooting
RED

MarineTech
February 14, 2003, 12:19 AM
I've got to admit that I really haven't had to put with that many range snobs. The only time in recent memory was at the local Rod and Gun range where I'm a member. The club has an organized 5 stand event every Sunday. I never was much into busting clays, but I figured I'd show up and get a little practice in before bird season.

As soon as I walked up, I knew I was a bit out of place. All around me were folks toting over/unders and semis. Not a pump to be seen. That, and where I was the new guy, I was drawing some interest to see what I had brought with me. Then I pulled my bird gun out of my case. 17 year old Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge with a 26" barrel. This has always been my field gun, and it looks it. I could see the sneers and slack jaws. Had one guy come over and talk to me. Asked if I had shot 5 stand before. Told him that I really had not shot at clays much at all. He immediately started going on about how my Remington would be fine to start out with, but that if I decided to get serious I'd want something a little better. He then proceeded to go on about how great his Beretta was for about the next 10 minutes. He ended up by telling me that I probably wouldn't do too well, but not to get too put out and give things a chance. Told him "We'll see."

My 1st round I shot an 18/25. Beat some of the folks that were regulars. I could hear the comments about beginners luck, and I again replied with "Probably, but we'll see." 2nd round I was used to things and I shot a 23/25. Only one person beat me, and it wasn't the guy I had chatted with earlier. There was a lot of grumbling, and I heard one guy mumble "Ringer". Figured I'd pack it in, and headed over to the rifle range. Told the first guy I spoke too that I thought I'd keep the Remington, and I'd certainly be back again. He was slightly put out by the whole turn of events.

Pistolsmith
February 14, 2003, 01:08 PM
I was on the outdoor pistol range with a friend a year or so ago. There were two sheriff's deputies on the next bench; one was shooting a brand new S&W 19, using boxes of comercial ammunition. Firing single action, they both sprayed the targets at 25 yards. I just watched without saying anything, though I'm sure they detected my smirk.
"You want to give it a try, old timer?" one deputy asked?
I loaded his revolver with his commercial ammunition and fired six quick shots double action, ejected the empties and set the gun down on the bench.
Quiet settled over the range as they retreived the target. I had put six in the X ring. They put the target down on the bench without a word then packed and left.
My shooting buddy walked over to where I was standing and said, laughing: "I really hate it when you show off."
During the many years I spent as a LE Firearms Instructor, I learned that if you want to teach, you have to be able to pick up any gun on the range and shoot it well. I also learned that most LEO's don't practice if they can avoid it.

WOLFGUNNER5150
February 14, 2003, 05:04 PM
I like it when they say "You can't hit nothing with a 2in 357 snub nose" and then out shoot them . :neener:

I have guns worth $150 to $1500 and if you shoot well to start with you can shoot all guns well

Sean Smith
February 14, 2003, 08:39 PM
Generally, you see good folks at the range I go to. Or, at least they don't say anything. That said...

I had a guy make fun of me out of the blue (total stranger in the next lane) for shooting a CZ-75B in 9mm. He was shooting a Glock 22, I think, barely hitting the paper at 7 yards.

So what do I do? Being a wiseass, I pull out my Smith & Wesson 610 Classic 6.5" and test fire some Cor-Bon hunting ammo I dug out of the bottom of my range bag.

BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM

1 hole at 15 yards. That's nothing special, of course, but that day it was enough. If the group didn't shut him up the noise did. :D

Carbon_15
February 14, 2003, 08:58 PM
You can't hit nothing with a 2in 357 snub nose
I always get the" You can't hit nothing with a 2in Scandium 357 snub nose". Its SO funny when you attack the plate machine with that 11 ounce wrist-breaker and hit 5-for-5 w/ full-power .357's...then turn and hand it to them:uhoh: . I've only had one taker..he handed the weapon back with 3 live rounds left and all of the plates still standing

pax
February 14, 2003, 10:26 PM
You know, a lot of these posts really demonstrate the entire notion of range snobs.

:neener:

pax

Many people love in themselves what they hate in others. -- Benzel Sternan

roscoe
February 14, 2003, 11:52 PM
Yeah, pax, I can't deny I am a reverse range snob. I love shooting trap with this ancient, dented, 1897. It has not a scrap of blue left on it and a big stripe of epoxy holds the forestock together. Half the shooters on the range look at me like I let one go in church. Till we start shooting, anyway.

12.7x99mm
February 15, 2003, 11:32 AM
range snob??

I have never met one of these. Why would anyone want to copp a attidude with a man or women with a gun?

JGReed
February 15, 2003, 05:17 PM
Heh heh...gotta agree PAX...after reading most of the replies, you'd think the post subject was "How many THR members carry chips on their shoulders?"

Sean Smith
February 15, 2003, 11:29 PM
LOL!

It's kind of funny. There is an obvious undercurrent of what amounts to expensive gun hating by several people around here. As if the only people who spend money on guns are people who can't hit with a Glock (or CZ or whatever) and want to "buy skill."

There are probably a few people that fit that stereotype. But alot of people with expensive guns bought them because they are good enough shots to tell the difference between the accuracy of $400 guns and $2,000 guns. Personally, though, I just dig expensive guns. :D

tex_n_cal
February 16, 2003, 04:38 AM
I recall once at Gibson's Outpost in Mesquite, Tx, shooting my Browning B78 (high wall replica) in .25-06. Glossy stock, octagon barrel, sorta funny looking but oh my does it shoot.

I set up on the 200 yard range, next to three guys who are shooting M1A's - they are good shots, shooting maybe 6 inch groups at 200 yards, with the iron sights. I can see them out the corner of my eye, pointing, whispering, and smirking at my single shot. I shoot a few, walk down, get my target, bring it back and set it down on the bench. They all stop talking and stare, 'cuse I have a 3/4" group at 200 yards. The silence was golden:neener:

standingbear
February 16, 2003, 07:33 AM
why i dont go to ranges anymore.too many fools,noise restrictions,know-it-alls and higher than mighty types.better to go shoot fer free in the country and enjoy it totally than pay for half an hour of glares,stares and bickering.

Soap
February 16, 2003, 11:03 AM
Don't forget that in addition to the equipment snob there is also the exact opposite: those who are jealous of other people's guns. These sort of people will scoff at people who are shooting 18s in trap with their Krieghoff. That annoys me just as much as the people that look down on you for what they percieve as inferior equipment.

Nightcrawler- You're completely correct. If you bring an attractive woman to the range people act like its the second coming of Christ or something. Anytime I go shooting with an attractive young lady, I simply wait until there is a day with no one around or I shoot on private property. In my experience, nearly all of the attractive young ladies are creeped out by the other guys at the range. And normally, rightfully so.

MountainPeak
February 16, 2003, 07:11 PM
I don't have problems with range snobs. I don't allow them on my deck! I too, seem to see a little class envy throughout this thread. My collection runs from low dollar to high dollar. Over all, I seem to shoot high dollar slightly better. Surprising ain't it!:D

LiquidTension
February 17, 2003, 01:39 AM
Hey Carbon-15 - Ryan is the guy with the long red hair, I'm the tall blonde guy with the AK and FAL. I had forgotten you were there that day at Indian Creek. Was that guy a moron or what? We need to get together sometime. Oh yeah, I'm a member of MCRC now, don't make it up to Indian Creek much anymore. MCRC is much nicer =)

Guy B. Meredith
February 17, 2003, 02:27 AM
Well, I figure that anyone not making like a boisterous strutting stud is okay.

If people are enjoying themselves then whatever they have is okay. If they are sincere and information might be accepted I give what I can. I stay away from boy/girl combos or approach through the male side to keep intrusion to a minimum.

I have a $1000 PC 627 V-Comp that is way over what I would ever buy because I won it in a raffle for $20. Not interested in high end equipment for status and have more interest in developing my skills (boy do they need it). My favorite is the cheapest of the lot, an M66. Even the 627 will remain with iron sights; no race options, not because I disdain fancy equipment but because I like putting the burden on myself.

I do have an attitude of snobbery about strutting obnoxious types. They give shooting a bad image. Usually even my level of competence is beyond them as they are just interested in the bravado of power and noise so I love to give them a chance to compare targets.

Sometimes it's fun to break out a few high end .357 magnums to make boisterous conversation difficult.

Tamara
February 17, 2003, 03:07 AM
Please give me a list of which guns are acceptable to shoot on the range with you so that I will not be seen as a "range snob". Is there a certain price cutoff point, or is it by specific brands and models?

RSVP,
Tam

cardboardkiller
February 17, 2003, 03:52 AM
I enjoy giving a guy I know fits when he drags out his $20,000+ Perazzi, I say "Man that sure is a beautiful shotgun, but it shoots the same $2 box of shells my damned old $1000 Benelli does." His ears turn a peculiar shade of purple.

I have seen a guy drag out a would be beautiful O/U Krieghoff with so much duct tape wrapped around the stock to fit him it looked like a pawn shop nightmare. Needless to say this guy smoked every shooter in our little tourny.

We had a Benelli rep here at a skeet shoot once and this guy was ragging on him about how pretty the rep's Executive model was and how he would hate to foul up such a pretty shotgun by taking it out hunting and that it probably wouldn't take the beating his 1100 had and keep running. Next thing I know there is a $3000 Benelli flying through the air at a pretty good pace and lands in a large mud puddle that was nearly as long as most family cars. The rep picked his shotgun up out of the puddle, wiped off the wood, the sights and shook the water out of it and shot over 200 rounds without a hitch. I never laughed so hard in my life.

LiquidTension
February 18, 2003, 01:33 AM
I don't care if a guy is shooting a PSG1. If he is cool, I have no problem with him. The type of weapon has nothing to do with my attitude towards other shooters. Their attitude has EVERYTHING to do with it. I think that people in this thread are just commenting on personal experiences where the snobs happened to have expensive weapons. I'm sure there are some rich gun owners that look down on those of us that can only afford cheaper weapons, but there are also gun owners that are very free with their expensive weapons and let others shoot them all the time. I would be in the latter category if I had any money, but alas, I do not.

whoami
February 18, 2003, 08:58 AM
I don't care if a guy is shooting a PSG1. If he is cool, I have no problem with him. The type of weapon has nothing to do with my attitude towards other shooters. Their attitude has EVERYTHING to do with it. I think that people in this thread are just commenting on personal experiences where the snobs happened to have expensive weapons. I'm sure there are some rich gun owners that look down on those of us that can only afford cheaper weapons, but there are also gun owners that are very free with their expensive weapons and let others shoot them all the time. I would be in the latter category if I had any money, but alas, I do not.

Exactly.

You want to shoot a beater SKS with a duct taped handle, fine. You want to shoot a Les Baer custom 1911, fine
You want to shoot an M99 with Nightforce optics, fine
You want to shoot a S&W snubbie, fine.
You want to shoot an IBA bolt action, fine.

It has NOTHING to do with what is used to shoot. It has EVERYTHING to do with attitude, SPECIFICALLY about other shooters. They want to criticize my shooting, that's fine. I know I'm not a very good shot. But if that judgment consists solely of the fact that I'm no good because, for example (from experience), I choose a Walther P99 over a Glock......there are plenty of lanes on the other end of the field.

556A2
February 18, 2003, 11:18 AM
At the 2 ranges I go to (Firepoint Inc. Matthews, NC or Jim's Pawn Fayetteville, NC) I have never met anyone that was snobby. Everyone at the ranges are very friendly, in fact the last time I went to Jim's I was getting hit my brass from the people in the next booth, and they apologized non-stop for it.

Sean Smith
February 18, 2003, 02:01 PM
Please give me a list of which guns are acceptable to shoot on the range with you so that I will not be seen as a "range snob". Is there a certain price cutoff point, or is it by specific brands and models?

RSVP,
Tam

Just the ones you own. Turn them in to me immediately, and for a modest handling fee I'll keep them far away from you.

:neener:

Tamara
February 18, 2003, 02:30 PM
...I had a lot of fun inviting a friend over to shoot in the back yard today. He shot my Beretta AR70 and my Krag-Jorgenson M1896 carbine, both firsts for him. I may have had as much fun watching him shoot them as he did actually shooting them. I remember going to a gathering of TFLers once, and watching one guy's daughter have fun shooting my No.1 RSI may've been the high point of my weekend. Half the reason I take my Mateba to public ranges is so that folks who've never shot (or, frequently, never even seen) one o' them Eye-talian semiautomatic revolvers can get a chance to try it out. Part of the fun of owning bucks-up 1911s is that nothing will scare up a range buddy faster than a phone call or email saying "Hey, wanna go shoot the Professional or the Baer?"... :cool:

Pendragon
February 18, 2003, 04:10 PM
I picked up my Ruger Single Six .22 (9.5" bbl) on 9/11 (yes, that 9/11)

I took it to the range a few days later and was trying to sight in the adjustable sights on the 25 yard rifle range.

The guy next to me is shooting the loudest (non .50) rifle I have ever heard. He is the sleeveless, muscled, silent type with a girl that usually goes with that type.

I ask him on the cease fire "what kind of rifle you got?"

"three hunert win mag....[looks at my puny .22]...a MANS gun..."

LOL!

Anyway - my snob gun is my Valtro and I will let any reasonable person shoot it.

Navy joe
February 18, 2003, 05:07 PM
I don't care what people shoot, I talk to the rental gun and Ruger shooters just as much as the high end folks. I am worn out on the fact that approximately half of the people with a budget for nice guns have the priggish superior attitude to go with them. And yes, they often get outshot. My favorite lately is tactical snob who is apparently a deacon at the church of tactical truth since they can buy a Wilson CQB. Possesses a "tacticalular than thou" king size attitude. Seeing that type get beaten by someone shooting a cheap CZ or a wheellgun is priceless.

In short I have not much use for gunners that can't be sociable. And yes, you can shoot anything I've got, std. crack dealer practices, the first session is free. :)

blades67
February 18, 2003, 05:24 PM
I've never encountered anything like a range snob, seen some range boobs though.

jsalcedo
February 18, 2003, 05:30 PM
Got any pics?
:D

rick458
February 18, 2003, 07:14 PM
When I Belonged to Pearland Sportsmans Club, it was so cool to see the old benchresters pull up to the line of benches in their vans, and swing open the doors racks of high zoot bench rifles and sharpshooting regular ole guns.
I was once INFORMED by a bench rester, that zeroing in the hunting guns, was supposed to be done on the other range (They had about 10 at the time). but when I brought over the MTM boxes with the load progression on the Midway stickers and politely told him I was doing load developement FOR the hunting rifle He was cool because it was in the nature of the benchrest range (solid concrete tables and seats Oh so stable).
I did get in trouble from the grounds keeper for shooting too early
0800 is their start time I was booming at 0630 (came off nights) he said it pisses off the old ladies in the neighborhood.
I need to get back on there it is a great range, with good people.

Carbon_15
February 18, 2003, 08:56 PM

BINGO...you pretty much sumed it up.

I'm much closer to broke than rich, but Liquid can attest, anything I have, your welcome to shoot...just ask. And when I go to the range with friends, my ammo is community ammo. Liquid, was it you are Ryan that shocked the crap out of me by letting me play with the AK. I was guilty of a little bit of unspoken, subconsious snobitude since I had just got my AR. A few rounds through that AK really changed my mind about "cheap"guns.

Intune
February 18, 2003, 10:45 PM
It IS all about attitude. I have a Mossy 500 that a girlfriend got me about 25-30 years ago. It had the 18.5 cyl bore barrel and it was my only shotgun for a few years. Got a 28" barrel and was in high cotton. :cool: It sits next to the Beretta Silver Pigeon II o/u that I got last Fall. My friends were raggin' me about taking the pig into the dove fields but everyone who wanted to got the chance to bag some doves with it. Then the ragging really started about bringing it out to the field. It was built to look, feel and SHOOT nice. I enjoyed shooting their sxs's(Daly?) Wingmasters and Rugers. Kinda like Tam said, it's about experiencing new things and giving others the chance to shoot something new, different or unusual. Maybe their only chance ever. That's part of the joy in owning weapons. Sharing. There are gun, car, clothes, income, ethnic, religious, zip code, Mason-Dixon and anythingucanthinkof snobs. I usually try to engage in a conversation, maybe ask a few questions, show some genuine interest. But, alas, some folks truly are snobs. Beware the dreaded butthead/snob combo for they are a true treat. At least their voices are usually muffled by their posterior so they're easy to spot. I can't be a snob 'cause I don't shoot well enough and I just bought an SAR 1, designated an official POS by some. Hmm, AR snobs, I'll betcha! :eek: Have fun out there, make somebody's day and ignore the socially challenged.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Snobs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!