Michael J Durant

PDA

capnrik
May 14, 2004, 12:15 AM
I just finished "In The Company of Heroes" by Mike Durant. His account of being shot down in Somalia is riveting. It interested me that he was disgusted with the performance of his MP5 submachinegun. He was elated when he was handed a CAR15, and commented on what a superior weapon it was when compared to the German submachine gun. Generally, on gun boards, the MP5 gets the rave reviews, while theCAR15 is spat upon. Any comments?

If you enjoyed reading about "Michael J Durant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
May 14, 2004, 12:18 AM
Real Life experience is often the best teacher.

DTLoken
May 14, 2004, 12:38 AM
IIRC, if I remember correctly (It's been several years since I read Blackhawk Down) his MP5 was jamming after a few shots.

Shughart and the other sniper who jumped in (Both received the Medal of Honor posthumously) to defend them gave him a CAR15 off one of the dead crew inside the downed Blackhawk.

I suppose I might hold the same opinion if I had such an experience.

PATH
May 14, 2004, 12:43 AM
Ditto!

adobewalls
May 14, 2004, 12:43 AM
I am assuming the CAR was in 5.56 and the MP5 was in 9mm or another pistol cartridge - if so, I think I would want the rifle cartridge over the pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Michael J Durant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!