Simple Green and Greased Lightning

PDA

Wolfy
May 14, 2004, 05:33 AM
At the risk of asking a stupid question. Does anyone use either of these as a gun cleaner?

I was looking at gallon jugs of this stuff at Home Depot and thought it would be a lot cheaper to clean my guns with this stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simple Green and Greased Lightning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rhedley
May 14, 2004, 05:39 AM
**Simple Green** is my favorite, for everything!! And it is easy on your hands, I'm in it every day...

rhedley
May 14, 2004, 05:41 AM
Forgot this, *Greased Lightning* is very tough on the skin..

c_yeager
May 14, 2004, 07:29 AM
bear in mind that Simple Green is really bad for anodizing (and maybe aluminum in general i can't remember). So don't use it on your AR15s.

lycanthrope
May 14, 2004, 07:48 AM
I've used Simple Green on my stainless 1911, but you need to rinse it because it becomes sticky when dry.

lee n. field
May 14, 2004, 08:40 AM
For some, yes.

I once asked them directly about cleaning nickle plated guns with Simple Green. This is the response:

Thanks for your inquiry. You can use Simple Green to clean nickel-plated steel as long as you dilute at about 30:1, don't soak parts for more than a minute or so, and rinse well after cleaning. Simple Green has been used successfully to clean firearms both for police departments and for Civil War re-enactment clubs. I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Which makes me think it's not a good idea to use it on nickle.

Joe Demko
May 14, 2004, 10:15 AM
Simple Green, at their own website, discourages use of the product on aluminum.

sturmruger
May 14, 2004, 10:47 AM
Why not just use a standard bore cleaner??

roo_ster
May 14, 2004, 12:16 PM
Why not just use a standard bore cleaner??

Not everybody appreciates the fine aroma of CLP & Hoppes #9 the way we do.

"I love the smell of CLP in the morning. Smells like...victory."

DMK
May 14, 2004, 04:04 PM
The only time I use Simply Green is to completely degrease parts prior to painting.

For aluminum parts (like cruddy AR or FAL magazines), I just use Dawn dishsoap and very hot water.

fix
May 14, 2004, 04:08 PM
Simple Green was banned from use on Marine aircraft assets in the late 90s, due to its insatiable appetite for aluminum.

odysseus
May 14, 2004, 05:15 PM
CLP. It protects it too for storage. Try it... you will like it.

Chipperman
May 14, 2004, 05:26 PM
I use Simple Green as a first round of cleaning for something that is completely filthy (e.g. new milsurp). It smells good, cleans well and is cheap.

The biggest problem with it is the water. So after I use it, I dry off as best I can and do a second cleaning with CLP.

Kodiak AK
May 14, 2004, 06:12 PM
I was going to make a thread about this today , but I will just stick it here .

Last night I was rooting around in the closet and I found a bayonet from a 54 Russian SKS . I don't have the rifle anymore , but I still had the bayonet . It was yello from old cosmo that had never been cleaned . I was bored so I tried doing the old stand by stuff to get rid of the cosmo. Gas didn't work. Lighter fluid didn't work . I was ready to give up and saw the Grease Lightening on the counter . I figuerd what the heck and put a squirt or two on a paper towell and literaly wiped the yellow right off the bayonet with no pressure and no effort . Keep in mind I had been scrubbing a good ten min with the other stuff and it didn't do jack . A quick wipe up and down the blade , and it looks great .

In the future I am not going to screw around with getting cosmo off of surplus guns . That Grease Lightening is the first thing I am reaching for .

Shanghai McCoy
May 14, 2004, 07:02 PM
Us blackpowder types use simple green for patch lube and bore cleaning.It's best used full strength since it de-greases so well that any water can cause rust to form pretty fast.Best to follow up with an oiled patch quickly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simple Green and Greased Lightning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!