X-Ring rubber bullets

PDA

Rebel Gunman HK
May 14, 2004, 12:43 PM
Primer fired rubber bullets I saw in Blue Press. What are these for? I assume they are for training, you know shooting each other.? :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "X-Ring rubber bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HiWayMan
May 14, 2004, 01:11 PM
I don't think they are for shooting each other because they really do pack quite a punch. We've always used them in the basement in the winter to practice drills with our revolvers. Be sure to use a magnum primer though.

buy guns
May 14, 2004, 02:04 PM
arent they used from riot control?

Mal H
May 14, 2004, 02:09 PM
No, they are definitely not for shooting at anyone. As HiWayMan said, they pack quite a punch and could cause severe injuries ("you'll put an eye out"). They are for pistol practice such as trigger control, etc. I wouldn't say they are very useful for 'target' practice since they lack consistent accuracy.

Rebel Gunman HK
May 14, 2004, 03:17 PM
I was just wondering how powerful they were and if they were intended or could be used as an alternative to Simunitions. Would it be dangerous if you were to take steps to protect yourself? Padding, paintball gear or what? How powerful can they be if they are just powered by the primer?

grnzbra
May 14, 2004, 03:43 PM
I was hit wit a wax-plastic bullet powered only by primer. The edge of the bullet caught the nail of my little finger and ripped off (the nail, not the finger) and impacted the palm of my hand. No damage other than the nail, which grew back. Had the bullet hit my finger squarely, I'm sure it would have broken the bone or the knuckle (which it just missed)

Lest anyone think I'm saying, "Nooo problem", I'm not. That's not what they are made for. If you want to do force on force, use Airsoft or paintball. With those, you either have a very light projectile or one that is designed to break up on impact. Also, with those guns, there's no chance of live ammo accidentally being mixed in with the training stuff.

Rebel Gunman HK
May 14, 2004, 04:02 PM
Why dosen't anyone make something you can use relativly safely??? Paintball guns are toys and don't simulate real guns to well. And the Airsoft is to light, half the time you can barely feel the hit. I think it would be nice to be able to practice force on force with your real carry gun using some round that would not injure you but allow you to know youve been hit... Oh well....

TimRB
May 14, 2004, 05:07 PM
"Would it be dangerous if you were to take steps to protect yourself? Padding, paintball gear or what? How powerful can they be if they are just powered by the primer?"

There's no way on God's green Earth I would allow someone to shoot at me with one of these things. How do you know someone didn't put a full charge of powder in there by mistake?

Tim

Mal H
May 14, 2004, 05:44 PM
"How powerful can they be if they are just powered by the primer?"

Never underestimate the power of a primer. I chronographed some X-Ring bullets shot with various types of primers just for grins. Gun was a 7" Redhawk in .44 Mag. I was getting velocities in the range of 300 to 450 fps. That is similar to velocities from a low powered pellet gun (e.g., Crosman). The bullets weigh roughly 13 grains which is heavier than most pellets. I do not want to be on the receiving end of that.

BluesBear
May 15, 2004, 06:32 AM
X-ring rubber bullets just like Speer plastic bullets, are designed for indoor target practice.

NOT for shooting at humans. :what:

They are however reusable.

Amish_Bill
May 15, 2004, 09:46 AM
I think it would be nice to be able to practice force on force with your real carry gun using some round that would not injure you but allow you to know youve been hit... Oh well....

If you're saying that you want to use your un-modified firearm to engage others in training scenarios, I put forth that you are a fool. No gun capable of firing a 'real' round should ever be pointed/fired at friendlies.

If you are comfortable with minor modifications to your weapon, then the product you are looking for is Simunitions.
http://www.simunition.com/index.php
It's not cheap, and(as I hear) it tends to hurt a bit, but there's no way someone could 'accidentally' chamber a standard round and kill their buddy. I'm not saying that freak accidents cannot occur, but with proper protective gear everyone will go home after the excercise.

carpettbaggerr
May 16, 2004, 04:19 AM
they pack quite a punch and could cause severe injuries ("you'll put an eye out") Or fracture your skull and put you in a coma. At close ranges, could be deadly -- just look at Jon Erik Hexum.

WESHOOT2
May 16, 2004, 09:08 PM
One put a hole through my shop door.

Use adequate ventilation if firing indoors; drill out the primer pocket; they can ricochet.

NOT toys.

If you enjoyed reading about "X-Ring rubber bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!