Am I the only one who doesn't sell guns?

PDA

Lightsped
May 14, 2004, 12:43 PM
Just curious, but am I the only one who doesn't sell/trade guns? I just don't like the idea of loosing one gun to buy another.

For me I just wait alittle longer when needed to add to the collection. I never subtract guns, and I never replace guns with other guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I the only one who doesn't sell guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
May 14, 2004, 01:01 PM
In the days of my youth I have bought guns only to find that I really didn't appreciate something about it and sent it on down the rode for someone else to enjoy. Now I know exactly what I like in forearms and only buy the ones that I truly enjoy.
I would like to say I would never sell any of those I have now, but I can't predict the future. If times get hard financially, it would break my heart, but they would be converted back into hard currency.

telcom911
May 14, 2004, 01:02 PM
In my youth I sold to finance new purchases, but after a few years I realized that I missed every firearm I ever sold. So I stopped doing that. Now if somthing is a few hundred $ more then I have laying around, I wait.

Rule #1 of a firearm fanatic.

NEVER SELL A GUN

Rule 2 through 10 are See Above Rule, IMVHO :)

Valkman
May 14, 2004, 01:04 PM
I've sold one gun. A Winchester 30-30, M94, that I bought for $80 new. I sold it in the 70's and still regret it! :mad:

Jeeper
May 14, 2004, 01:06 PM
I've only ever sold one gun. Bought it for 600 and sold it for 1800. I cant ever see me wanting it agin, at least in that configuration.

Wedge
May 14, 2004, 01:07 PM
NEVER SELL A GUN

I have been told that on more than one occasion and repeated it myself more than once.

Daniel T
May 14, 2004, 01:08 PM
I never thought I'd sell a gun, but then I got one that had me bleeding within 3 shots.

Why keep something you can't use?

Now I only sell guns that I end up not liking for various reasons.

HiWayMan
May 14, 2004, 01:08 PM
I don't sell any of the guns I buy. But I'll tell you this. I sure am glad some people out there sell their guns. Cause money is short and I need a new toy.

Right on telcom911
NEVER SELL A GUN.

Hkmp5sd
May 14, 2004, 01:11 PM
I still have every gun I have acquired. :)

Ben Shepherd
May 14, 2004, 01:38 PM
There is only 1 I don't still have.

A lefty pump 20 guage shotgun. My cousin has it now, with instuctions that it goes nowhere exept back to me. Although he's getting married soon so I may have to see if he ends up with a kid that's:

A: a lefty.
B: a shooter.

SteveS
May 14, 2004, 01:42 PM
I have no problem selling a gun, but only if two conditions are satisfied:

1) I don't like the gun and never shoot it.
2) The money has to be used to purchase other guns.

I have gotten some good deals on used guns and would rather a gun that I never shoot be enjoyed by someone else then just sit in my safe. I have never regretted any of my sales.

TallPine
May 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
Nope, never sold any of them and don't ever intend to. But then I don't buy something just to see what it's like - usually have been wanting a particular gun for a year or more before I buy it.

At least not while I am still functional - might start giving them away when the time grows short ....

Rockrivr1
May 14, 2004, 01:47 PM
Same here! If I bought the gun, I'm keeping it. Never thought once of selling one to get another. Just have to wait till I save enought to add to the collection.

Now, I have been know to sell, pawn and trade just about anything else I don't want to get money to buy a gun I want. :rolleyes:

MikeJ
May 14, 2004, 01:49 PM
I've been shooting and acquiring handguns for the past 20 years. Its only been in the last couple of years that I have sold any. My reasons for doing so were that they were guns that simply didn't fill a niche anymore and didn't inspire any great sense of pride of ownership. Rather than have them just lying around I decided to sell them to finance other guns that I really preferred and knew I would use. I have a few safe queens that although I don't shoot very often do inspire that pride of ownership and I wouldn't think of selling. As of now, I don't have any guns that I would consider selling, they're all keepers. :)

Red_SC
May 14, 2004, 01:51 PM
Me, too. My wife keeps telling me that if I want to keep buying new guns I'm going to have to start selling some of the ones I have, but I never listen.:neener:

axeman_g
May 14, 2004, 02:09 PM
I sell my guns and actually enjoy it as part of the hobby. I strive to limit myself to just a few guns, I personally dont have the time nor resources to track, take care of or SHOOT a multitude of guns.

Also, I get a gun to see if I like them, then I might move it if not or I cant shoot it well enough (SA XD .40 and HK USPC.45). I try to stay with a basic collection with "exotics" coming in and out.

Basic is a couple of shotguns, a .357 revolver, a .22 handgun, a .22 rifle and a 9mm. Others come and go at my whim. I have never lost much money, not enought to lament, but I have also made some great deals.

Axe

Ktulu
May 14, 2004, 02:12 PM
No, you are not alone!

I thought about selling one of my pistols that I don't shoot much anymore the other day. I got scared and tried to think happy thoughts.

one45auto
May 14, 2004, 02:21 PM
I've never sold a gun either, because as many here have stated I wouldn't want to run the risk of winding up with regrets. I sold a non-firearm related item once and have never ceased to bitterly reproach myself for doing so. All of my new acquisitions are paid for through prudent saving and/or sacrifice, which isn't all that difficult in my case since I prefer to live simply and thus don't need things like plasma televisions, ATV's, new cars, expensive stereos, etc.

Black Majik
May 14, 2004, 02:25 PM
same here, all the guns I've bought still are with me. :)

Trebor
May 14, 2004, 02:48 PM
I went years before I sold any guns, but I've sold a few in the last couple years. They were either guns that I just decided I didn't like enough to keep (HK P7M8) or guns I sold to upgrade to a better example of the same gun (M-1 Carbine and M-1 Garand).

I just finally decided that sticking to a "I never sell guns" stance was silly when guns I didn't really want anymore sucked up my limited resources.

TimRB
May 14, 2004, 03:13 PM
I never sell guns, but I have been known to give some away. And before you ask, "no".

Tim

sturmruger
May 14, 2004, 03:18 PM
I posted about this before I sold a really nice SkS that was given to me as a teenager. Every time I see an SKS now I regret selling that gun. I finally reached a conclusion that I was never going to sell any of my guns ever again!! I have changed that a bit my rule is that I never sell or trade a gun that I can shoot fairly well. The two guns that were sold under that rule was a Kel-Tec P11, and a Taurus PT140. I just can't get used to those long double action only guns. I learned my lesson and am not planning on ever buying one of those DOAs again.

ruger357
May 14, 2004, 03:27 PM
I also trade in guns once in a while. Sometimes you don't have a choice.

RustyHammer
May 14, 2004, 03:32 PM
Buy quality,
buy low,
buy lots,

NEVER sell!

rock jock
May 14, 2004, 05:35 PM
I've sold several guns and never regretted it once. I've never replaced the guns I've sold in-kind and never intend to. As you shoot more, you figure out what you like and what you will use. If it doesn't fit into either of those two categories, it is a waste of money and safe space.

Mal H
May 14, 2004, 05:49 PM
"Am I the only one ..."

Not by a long shot. I traded a gun about 40 years ago. I still regret it to this day (it was a BHP). I still have the gun I traded it for and love it, but I wish I had had the foresight to find another way to obtain it.

Never again.

Well, ok, never say "never". Anybody want to buy a Mini-14? :)

Shooter973
May 14, 2004, 06:19 PM
I didn't know that you could sell guns!!! I've got my wife believing that there is some sort of law that says once you buy a gun you've got to keep it! Some sort of Federal reg or paperwork thing. Once you buy it your stuck with it!!! heheheheheh. :D

Grampa
May 14, 2004, 06:23 PM
I had to think about this, and came up with six guns I have sold in my life. I've since then replaced one of them, don't miss two of 'em, and am looking to replace the other three.

:banghead:

Bainx
May 14, 2004, 06:34 PM
Ain't sold one yet and don't plan to!
Please read my tag-line below and you will understand.

Bainx Out

BryanP
May 14, 2004, 06:47 PM
I've sold one gun. It's a special case, though. I only bought it from a friend because he was really in need of the cash and he was too proud to just take a gift. I didn't want it. I played with it for a bit and sold it at a gun show to some guy before I even made it in the front door. Yep, I am a perpetrator of that eeeeevil gun show loophole. :evil:

I have no other guns that I would be interested in selling.

Monkeyleg
May 14, 2004, 07:26 PM
In the past the only way I was able to buy a new gun was to sell one that I had. And I now regret selling a good many of them, in large part because I'll never to able to afford them due to skyrocketed prices (full-autos, certain "AW's", collector SAA's, etc).

So the new policy is to wait until I can get the money for a new gun. I've got a rifle I haven't shot in over two years, but I'm sure not going to sell it.

With age comes wisdom, but some of us just take longer to get older and wiser.

Cosmoline
May 14, 2004, 07:31 PM
I'm notoriously fickle, so I end up selling almost all my firearms. There's a core I don't sell, including a CZ 452 lux and now my Sig 225, but for the most part I don't get too attached. I have no place to store a collection, which is a big part of the reason I don't hold onto more.

Browns Fan
May 14, 2004, 07:48 PM
I have sold some of my guns and have regretted it... most of the time.

Dionysusigma
May 14, 2004, 07:59 PM
One of these days, I will get a Mosin-Nagant M44 to replace the one I stupidly, stupidly traded. :banghead:

Forget the recoil. A gun that works reliably is worth a million that don't.

gulogulo1970
May 14, 2004, 08:27 PM
I've sold twelve guns if my memory is correct. All but three had it coming. Some I just didn't shoot, some were cheap, some would keep breaking, some were rash purchases. I sell the headaches keep the good ones. I did sell three that I wish I hadn't, so there is some risk to selling them. Just make really sure before you sell.

jimbo
May 14, 2004, 09:30 PM
NEVER SELL A GUN FOR JUST THE MONEY

I've sold 2 guns in my life.

I sold a stainless Walther PPK/S that shot like crap. No regrets.

I sold a beater 7.65 cal PP. No regrets.

I own a replica 1873 Springfield Trapdoor Carbine. I am selling. I won't regret it. (I want to own the real thing)

Years ago, my brother sold an original Walther K43, just because. BIG regrets!

Don't sell guns you love and you won't regret it. :rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
May 14, 2004, 09:38 PM
I haven't sold a gun in nearly twenty years. I had to sell a few when a client ripped me off for $5,000. Two of the guns I sold were to a check kiter. I'll let my heirs worry about it.

Myself
May 14, 2004, 10:16 PM
The only gun I ever sold was to a female co-worker who felt she needed protection. I sold it fairly cheep because she needed it.

Got to see it today. (She had a question and brought it to work). Still miss it even though it is duplicated by other things in the collection.

Billmanweh
May 15, 2004, 06:54 AM
I've only sold one that I had any real attachment to, and I wouldn't mind having it back. But outside of that, I'll sell any 'em at the drop of a hat.

SemperFi83
May 15, 2004, 09:01 AM
My grandkids will be shooting every gun I ever bought or inherited.

Tamara
May 15, 2004, 09:18 AM
I've sold probably a couple hundred.

Can think of maybe five or six I wouldn't mind having again, but something just like them will come along eventually. :cool:

JuniorG
May 15, 2004, 09:26 AM
I've sold 4 guns in my lifetime for way more than I paid for them. Of my current inventory there are none I would part with for any reason.

Now, if we're talking barrels, I've bought, sold or traded around 30 Contender bbls. of my current inventory I have only one that I would consider getting rid of and probably will before too long.

SapperLeader
May 15, 2004, 10:13 AM
Ive only sold one so far, and im trying to sell a second. In my search for a perfect ccw, I fell in the trap of subcompacts (xd-9 subcompact)being a good idea for me, and a great pocket gun being the keltec p11. I realized that I didnt like shooting the subcompact, and was usually carrying the full size xd, so I sold the compact to a friend that needed the gun. Im trying to sell the keltec to fund a kahr purchase. I dont like selling guns, but if I dont like them, and dont use them, might as well use the sale to fund the purchase of something you want more.

vi9er
May 15, 2004, 11:28 AM
I sold two guns and will never sell a gun that works again.

I made the mistake of trading my keltec p32 and my .357 taurus revolver for a ruger P89. I felt i absolutly HAD to have the ruger RIGHT NOW. I regret selling those two to this day.

I have a rule now that the only guns I will ever sell are non-working guns and duplicates.

Ed

Chris Rhines
May 15, 2004, 11:43 AM
I've sold several guns, usually ones I didn't shoot much. I sold a FAL that I didn't care for (and needed the cash,) a couple of CZ PCRs (liked the full-size SA ones better,) and a S&W Model 41 (upgraded to a Pardini, which will NEVER get sold.)

Never regreted selling any of them. I don't like having guns lying around gathering dust - If I don't have a use for it, it goes into the For Sale pile.

- Chris

jeff-10
May 15, 2004, 02:01 PM
Never sold one. Doubt I ever will. I have friends that buy, trade and sell guns all the time. IMHO people almost never get what the gun is worth and most regret selling them somewhere down the line, not to mention they usually spend way more for new versions of what they sold off.

Magnum88C
May 15, 2004, 02:29 PM
I've only SOLD one. It was a sell the gun or loose the home kind of situation. Believe me, it was a last resort, I'd already sold just about everything else, including a lot of furniture. Don't really regret it though, I have several of the type (1911) and the guy I sold it to REALLY wanted one, so. . .

I've traded several on guns I wanted more, only regret one, an S&W 629 Classic DX, beautiful shooter, never should have traded it, although I do love the gun I traded it for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I the only one who doesn't sell guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!