What's the Damage to this Slide Finish?

PDA

Zeke Menuar
May 16, 2004, 06:24 PM
Hello All

Here is a picture of my prized beat-up LW Commander. This has been my main go-to carry gun since 1997. As the pictures show, the exterior of the gun has seen better days.

http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/Commander_9.jpg

I hope the quality is good enough. This is a real trick to do with a flatbed scanner.

There is one area of the slide that has some damage? Bad bluing? or something I have not seen before.

http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/Commander_Slide_1.jpg

There are obvious double stamping marks. There is also some pitting, mottling or other type of disfigurment under the bluing. It is hard to see here. Most of the damage is around the rampant colt and the "LT MK". What kind of damage is under the bluing?
How did the double stamping of some letters occur?
I don't know if the bluing is original. I bought the gun used, rebuilt the insides and configured it to suit me.

The previous owner installed the idiotic Millet dual-crimp front sight. That means I am married to Millet sights for the life of the slide. I don't know how hard the front sight would be to remove in the event of a total slide refinish.

I don't know how I am going to refinish the gun. I would like to soften the sharp edges on the frame and re-anodize.
The slide is up for grabs. The current bluing is almost black when seen in person. If it didn't cost me an arm and a leg I would like to duplicate that finish. At any rate I would like to strip the current finish off the slide and smooth out the damage shown in the photo.

Any comments would be helpful

Thanks
ZM

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the Damage to this Slide Finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
critter
May 16, 2004, 06:41 PM
I have an all steel Colt Officers Model that I carry a lot. I had my simth ease the edges, added night sights and had it LIGHTLY sand blasted and then hard chromed. It gave it a very durable, corrositon free, very slick finish that is pleasingly matt and not TOO shiny and pimpish! VERY easy to clean. Works well for me.

dfariswheel
May 16, 2004, 11:38 PM
Since you're dealing with a used gun, God only knows what the story is.

I have seen a few factory mis-marks in the collection of an advanced collector who only collected factory oddities, but not quite like this.

It appears as though the faint mis-mark was done with an entirely different font. It looks like the faint letters were a double line font, and the more prominent marks were done with a single line font.

The more prominent marks have an odd look to them, almost as though they were cut with some kind of rotary lettering device. The Colt pony has lines that are MUCH wider than any factory roll stamp die would leave.

Since you say the mis-marks, blemishes, and pits are UNDER the bluing, it almost certainly a re-blue.

Best guess: This was a rare factory mis-mark that made it out of the plant, later rusted and re-blued.

OR

A slide that was rusted, somebody polished it off to remove MOST of the pits, but not good enough to remove ALL the pits and the original markings, THEN somehow found a method of replacing the markings, that didn't use the original font.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the Damage to this Slide Finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!