Tactical Light on a Revolver?

PDA

Plinkerton
May 18, 2004, 02:28 AM
I don't know if I actually plan on doing this, but I was just curious as to the posibility. Is there any commercially available light to attach to a 4" revolver? When I think about it, it kind of sounds silly, but I figured, since every other strange thing is made, why not that?

So, if you got any info, besides duct taping a mini maglite to the barrel :D lets here it.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Tactical Light on a Revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VictorLouis
May 18, 2004, 01:00 PM
I think it would be workable on at least S&Ws with an underlug. The wasp-waist shape, or figure-8, when viewed from in front of the muzzle would seem to be a natural point for a clamp to cinch down tight. The tiny hole underneath the forward locking bolt could be used for a tension screw to bear down to keep the light and mount from creeping forward under recoil.

Those two points of contact may be enough, though I can't be sure. I don't know if the other designs could be adapted to work without drilling and tapping at least one hole.

I just think the manufacturers assume that anyone tactical enough to be using a light is tactical enough to be shooting an auto-pistol.:rolleyes:

Plinkerton
May 18, 2004, 01:52 PM
Victor, you're probably right about tactical people using "tactical" guns. With a full underlug, there is no doubt in my mind that it would work. I'm sure I could even make something, but, I really don't need one, and it probably wouldn't come out looking to good.

Maybe I should just stop trying to be tactical, until I get an auto with a rail. :D

Majic
May 19, 2004, 08:07 AM
Please don't give the manufactors any ideas. :uhoh:

Plinkerton
May 19, 2004, 11:04 AM
I think it would be funny!

I would imagine some people would want one. Maybe those people are in fact "tactical" but like their revolvers. Nothing like clearing a room of bad guys, using flashbangs and revolvers with tac-lites. :D

I a little surprised they don't make them. I would think at least SOME people would want them for home defense or something.

PaladinX13
May 19, 2004, 02:48 PM
Heck, if they can "suppress" a revolver there's no reason it can't be done.
http://www.rirwin.com/images/no11.JPG

Yeah, yeah, I know the joke about hollywierd silenced revolvers, but that doesn't mean there aren't historical examples. (http://guns.connect.fi/gow/nagant.html)

If you're working with a revolver like Vash's (http://images.google.com/images?q=vash%20revolver&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi) then there's no reason you couldn't do it and have it be aesthetically pleasing to boot.

Plinkerton
May 19, 2004, 03:22 PM
Now yer thinkin'! See, revolvers can be tactical too!

So, let's get a group of us with revolvers together, and go tell SureFire we want some lights made for us. :p

Andrew Wyatt
May 19, 2004, 08:18 PM
I like how people automatically assume wheelgunners don't need to identify their targets in the dark.

4v50 Gary
May 19, 2004, 09:28 PM
Picatinny rail for revolvers, now! You can mount a see-through holosight on the top rail, a laser beneath the barrel, a flashlight on one side and a foregrip with hand shield to protect from splatter on the other. Sling swivels compete the "system" and all you need are ammo bearers with speedloaders. :)

uglygun
May 19, 2004, 09:34 PM
Get the S&W Stealth Hunter with it's "Tobblerone Tactical" barrel that has and advertise it's mount rail as a picatinny rail and you've just created a HYPER ELITE SUPER SECRET SQUIRREL TACTICAL SEAL REVOLVER.

Okay, okay, maybe not... Turn that barrel upside down so that the sight rail becomes a tactical light rail and then you got the HESSSTSR... Listen to that acronym, sounds like a snake's toung slithering at you.

tex_n_cal
May 19, 2004, 10:21 PM
4v50 Gary said:

Picatinny rail for revolvers, now! You can mount a see-through holosight on the top rail, a laser beneath the barrel, a flashlight on one side and a foregrip with hand shield to protect from splatter on the other. Sling swivels compete the "system" and all you need are ammo bearers with speedloaders.

You forgot the bayonet :evil:

bjdout
November 9, 2008, 08:42 AM
There is at least one good application for a flashlight mount on revolvers. I have a big rat problem right now. They're in our attached garage, basement, and house walls (old farmhouse). It started by keeping grain and corn in the garage to burn in our cornstove. The food is moved out now, but I'm trying to shoot the rats instead of poisoning them and having them die inside the house and stink. So I need to use birshot, which doesn't cycle a semi-auto from what I've been told. That leaves me to a revolver. I've been shooting them in the garage - we're up to 22 confirmed kills. I leave a small light on so I don't need to use a flashlight, but I could use one when I'm trying to shoot them in the rafters. Rats are smarter than you think. They learn, so you have to keep switching things up on them to try to fool them. It's a heck of a lot of fun, but I just want them out of the house! So if anyone knows of a flashlight mount for a Taurus 94, I'd appreciate the tip.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 9, 2008, 08:54 AM
Sounds like something we don't need.

However, I'm sure someone will eventually come up with it.

DevilDog0402
November 9, 2008, 09:18 AM
S7W came out with one a while back:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=51525&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15706&isFirearm=Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/170292opt.jpg

avan47
November 9, 2008, 09:25 AM
Yes, they have.

http://www.bigskyguns.com/Performance_Center-Model_325_Thunder_Ranch_Revolver_2.html

Iggy
November 9, 2008, 03:24 PM
All that rascal needs is spinner hub caps.....:evil:

pps
November 9, 2008, 03:31 PM
The closest thing I get to tacticool is the tactical ziplock bag I use to store my S&W internal locks. Why not use a 3 of 4 d cell mag light in the weak hand. If someone gets close enough to grab your shooting hand the light would make a great bat.

johnnylaw53
November 10, 2008, 06:52 AM
You know I have never understood the ideal of a light attached to the weapon. In my early years we were trained to hold the flashlight out to the side of the body when clearing a house, building. The ideal is that if someone shoot at you they will normally forcus on the light and shoot to your side. But pistol lights seem to be the in thing now and lot of the young guys have them I still hold my flashlight to the side. After the young ones been doing this for 28 years and it works for them maybe I'll change my mind.

be safe

pps
November 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
You know I have never understood the ideal of a light attached to the weapon. In my early years we were trained to hold the flashlight out to the side of the body when clearing a house, building. The ideal is that if someone shoot at you they will normally forcus on the light and shoot to your side. But pistol lights seem to be the in thing now and lot of the young guys have them I still hold my flashlight to the side. After the young ones been doing this for 28 years and it works for them maybe I'll change my mind.

be safe

Though I'm not a LEO that sums up my line of thinking too.

dsdanger
November 10, 2008, 03:50 PM
If a BG were pointing a flashlight at me, I'd probably aim for the light too.

jdh
November 10, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hold your light in your off hand, your handgun in your strong hand, and turn the door knob all at the same time. You light yourself up 90% of the time.

Hold your light in your weak hand, your handgun in your strong hand, and drag your partner from the danger zone in a dark warehouse.

How do you know it is a bad guy with a bright light shining in your eyes and no way to light up the perceived threat to make positive target ID (because you are dragging your inured partner with your non-shooting hand)?

Come on guys think about it. There is no one universal tool. You need options. A gun mounted light does not remove the need for a real light on your belt. There are times when a gun mounted light is better than no light.

AND, the gun mounted light is not a general light. It is only for use when you cannot hold the Mag-light and for last minute target ID just before you pull the trigger.

cerberus65
November 10, 2008, 07:08 PM
When I think about it, it kind of sounds silly

That about sums it up for me.

Of course, I'm not a fan of lights on any kind of gun but that's just me. I can see where LEOs might have a need but I'm not LE, military, or anything like that. If something goes bump in the night I'll be turning lights on in the house. A flashlight's cone of light has never seemed large enough to me to allow me to adequately identify a threat.

Majic
November 10, 2008, 10:00 PM
For a first post bjdout dug real deep to bring this thread back to life.

Hawk
November 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
The women in my life are concocting a witch's brew consisting of this:
http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=48
and a 325TR.

I get to keep it if it doesn't work out.

But for a spouse with MS I'm going to keep an open mind.

Nothing like grafting a 532nm laser on an updated 1917.

piratelooking@40
November 11, 2008, 02:12 AM
Pretty sure I saw an ad for a piece of rail which clamps onto a regular revolver underlug. Not the worst idea in the world, IMHO.

harmonic
November 11, 2008, 09:21 AM
Another vote here for "don't do it."

I thought about it for a long time but asked the question on some other boards frequented by LEOs. I decided it's a bad idea for me. YMMV.

Several reasons.

Any weapon mounted light must be pointed at that which you desire to illuminate. I know, professionals point their weapons at the floor, allowing the "flood" feature of the light to do the illuminating. But they receive significant training to enable them to control their emotions in high stress situations.

Harry Homeowner normally receives no such training. In a typical scenario he's awakened from sleep in a dark house, grabs his weapon and turns on the light. Then he goes to "clear" his house in both a highly agitated and half asleep state. The likelihood he's going to use his flashlight the way he's always used it (i.e., straight on) is much better than average. The likelihood he's going to sweep everything in his path with the muzzle of his gun is great.

Second reason against: The BG, if armed, is likely to start shooting at the light. That draws his fire to you.

Third: The LEOs that responded to my inquiry were unanimous in saying that tactically (I hate that overused word) Harry Homeowner shouldn't be walking around his house in the first place. His walking around the house is simply an invitation for the BG to fortify (hide) himself and wait for Harry to appear. They said Harry should conceal himself and wait for the BG to appear.

The Bushmaster
November 11, 2008, 10:23 AM
Laser grips (Crimson Trace) and a hand held white light...Much better combination for revolver or semi-auto...

If you enjoyed reading about "Tactical Light on a Revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!