Search Min Letter Limit = Pain in the Butt!

PDA

Zedicus
May 18, 2004, 01:03 PM
The Letter Limiter on the Forum Search has long been a major pain whenever I need to search for things that only have 2 letters in them

For EG, Search for anything with any of the following in it & it won't allow it...

HK
M4
M8

Etc...:banghead:

It's annoying, and frustrating, think you guys could reduce it 1 level?

Please?:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Search Min Letter Limit = Pain in the Butt!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheBluesMan
May 18, 2004, 01:15 PM
We have considered it, but it would make searching take much longer. Not to mention that it would take many additional hours (if not days) to index every two-letter word on the site. Then there's the storage requirements of an index database that would probably be twice as big as the current one. (Please correct me if I am wrong on any of these accounts, Derek)

For now, we're leaving it at three, but that's not written in stone. Server upgrades are in the works and anything is possible... :)

Quartus
May 18, 2004, 01:41 PM
Drop that limit to two letters and your storage and search requirements will go up exponentially, and the usefulness of the search results will approach ZERO.

Derek Zeanah
May 18, 2004, 02:20 PM
Having said all that...

When we upgrade to vB 3, we'll be able to drop the search tables entirely (and lose half of our DB size) and pass the searches directly on to MySQL. You'll like this better.

For instance, right now you can search for 'G23' which will find every post with that text in it. If we reduced the search term to 2 characters (which we're not going to do), you could search for "Glock 23" and find every post that had both "Glock" and "23" in it. Meaning the guy who posts "I'm 23 and hate Glock pistols" would come up as a hit.

Once we move to MySQL searching, you can search for "Glock 23" and mean "the word Glock followed by a space and then a 23" if you like. Much more helpful.

Figure it'll happen in the next month or so. We'd already be there, but the upgrade failed last time we tried. Looks like the next try will go cleanly with less than 2 hours (plus switching over the search indexes and processing all the attachments), but the rest of the staff is wary and wants me to go slow...

I'll keep y'all informed.

EghtySx
May 18, 2004, 02:23 PM
So, does that mean that we can then search two letter state abbreviations when shopping? :D

Warren
May 18, 2004, 02:26 PM
When I am looking for a two letter term like XD or HK or some such I pop a * onto the end of it .

This satisfies the limit rule and does not increase the amount of useless results as there are not to many common words that start with those letters.

Warren
May 18, 2004, 02:27 PM
The quotes thing will be a great improvement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Search Min Letter Limit = Pain in the Butt!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!