US General Cries on TV

PDA

Zip06
February 10, 2003, 12:16 PM
Did anyone see that three star general who is Commander of US forces in Korea, cry on 60 Minutes last night? I think thats the first time I have ever seen that.

If you enjoyed reading about "US General Cries on TV" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tady45
February 10, 2003, 12:28 PM
Actually no, was he crying about the Korean Conflict? Or the possible new Korean conflict?

mtnbkr
February 10, 2003, 12:29 PM
Edited: Sorry, had two reply windows open.

My intended reply: What was he crying about?

Chris

Shalako
February 10, 2003, 01:02 PM
I guess all that sensitivity training is finally kicking in. :rolleyes:

Need more info.

Zip06
February 10, 2003, 01:06 PM
The interviewer asked him what he thought about the anti-american demonstrations in Korea and the burning of the American Flag. He teared up. Three Stars.

10-Ring
February 10, 2003, 01:21 PM
Geez, I understand him being human & all, but you just don't do that on TV! We need more hard *** generals!:scrutiny:

BerettaNut92
February 10, 2003, 01:25 PM
Dorks. I doubt they'd even have the right to protest if we weren't there. :cuss:

mack
February 10, 2003, 01:27 PM
Real men cry and weep - just not for themselves or out of selfpity.

Would you want a general who didn't have powerful emotions when he thought of the good men who died fighting under him?

He has nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for.

dev_null
February 10, 2003, 01:30 PM
Wow, that's like, so beautiful, man. I mean, like man, the dude is in touch with, like, his inner child.

That sound you hear is Patton spinning in his grave fast enough to generate electricity.

OK, maybe I'm being too hard on him... perhaps they were tears of frustration at not being able to say what he really feels on (inter-)national TV.

-0-

UnknownSailor
February 10, 2003, 01:44 PM
Here's the way I took it:

The tears were for the pride he feels, for his country, and his service, that because of himself, and others like him, the South Koreans have the freedom to protest our presence, and burn our flag.

Also, some hurt, for the disrepect shown to the flag.

Dogsoldier
February 10, 2003, 02:21 PM
I only caught a moment of the interview in question. But I really do not have a problem with this guy welling up while discussing potential casulties, loss of life, the hate America gets in payment for defending idiots or his pride in country and uniform. You bet your bottom dollar, if the shooting starts, that general will rise up and immediatly turn into a brimstone chomping, fire snorting demon. A warrior of the first order.

bountyhunter
February 10, 2003, 02:44 PM
I assume he was crying about the fact that the head of our government has every gun we own pointed at Iraq while the end of the world is being written by the certifiable lunatic who is in charge of North Korea. That fruitcake will have weapons grade uranium within 3 to 6 months, and GWB is obsessed with kicking Saddam's butt. may God help us.

dev_null
February 10, 2003, 03:51 PM
I didn't see the piece, was basing my response on the posts to this thread, and was only being sarcastic. My apologies if my sardonic sense of humor came across badly. No offense was intended.

-0-

Russ
February 10, 2003, 03:55 PM
North Korea is not going to do anything except blow smoke at us and try to get us to give them money, food and whatever else they can extort from us. If they used their 1 or 2 nukes on S. Korea, they would be obliterated and they know it. This is China's problem. They are the ones that said that they wanted a nuke free Korea. I think if you want to make them crazy, re-arm Japan. 50 years of pacifism doesn't make up for the war-like people that the Japanese have traditionally been.

I didn't see the interview with the General so I won't opine. Maybe he just had a bad day.

PATH
February 10, 2003, 03:58 PM
I've seen some tough characters drop a few in my time. The general was tearing up in reaction to people burning the American Flag. That is how I saw it. He seemed like a regular joe!

I drop a few when I hear the Star Spangled Banner or when I watch Veterans march. I especially get choked up when those who lost their lives are remembered in front of our local courthouse with an 18 gun salute followed by Taps.

TimH
February 10, 2003, 04:14 PM
Me too Path

jmbg29
February 10, 2003, 04:29 PM
What mack, Dogsoldier and PATH said.

Try risking your life for this country and her flag sometime. Might bring a little "perspective".:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

To bring this back on the lighter side, it would be hysterically funny to see some of you tell the General that he is too "sensitive". Is that the sound of a twig snapping?:scrutiny:

Zip06
February 10, 2003, 04:29 PM
I have seen combat hardened vets and active duty soldiers shed tears also. They did it in response to tragedies, combat deaths and wounds, training and tactical accidents and at funerals. I have not ever seen one cry in an interview over protests.

cratz2
February 10, 2003, 04:42 PM
Well, some movies move me to tears or at least the virge of them. Saving Private Ryan makes my cry at how worthless of an existance I've led. I even get ever so slightly teary-eyed when the military guy salutes Liv Tyler in Armegeddon, but I don't think a general has any cause to be crying on TV.

blades67
February 10, 2003, 04:44 PM
He was probably crying because Path lives in a place that "when those who lost their lives are remembered in front of our local courthouse with an 18 gun salute followed by Taps." It's only 3 guns short, but the way public schools are run these days nobody, where Path lives, knows the difference.:neener:

There is something very wrong with a General who cries over a protest. As a soldier I'm disturbed by his behavior. Who knows when he'll have his next breakdown.:scrutiny:

Try risking your life for this country and her flag sometime. Might bring a little "perspective".

I have, more than once, and I don't cry when somebody burns a flag. I don't like it, but I don't cry about it.:rolleyes:

Marshall
February 10, 2003, 07:17 PM
I don't know if I really understand the whole deal here?

However, if the man was crying about what he and his men went thru for them just to have it thrown in his face, I can understand him having an emotional moment. Sometimes emotions hit even the best of all men when we least excpect it or want it.

Crying is not to be confused with weakness! A man filled with a deep passion about a subject as emotional as dying for your country in the pursuit and protection of freedom and liberty, is a man I want fighting for me!

Stephen Ewing
February 10, 2003, 07:27 PM
Russ,

Great minds think alike, although, I was thinking Taiwan. If Taiwan has three times as many nukes as North Korea, how many nukes do you think China will let North Korea have?

Steve

nathan
February 10, 2003, 08:04 PM
He was asked how he feels regarding how the antisburned the flag and recently there was an incident wherein couple of GIs off duty were stabbed to death by unsuspecting young antis. These happened during R/R. The General became teary after that, maybe strong emotions of those two incidents triggered him. Of course those killed were under his Command. They were not killed in combat but by freaking S Koreans, the very people they are defending for. So I think that question asked of him just was strong.
It didn't look good on TV though esp from a 3 star brass but it shows he is human. I have no problem with that. I cry myself too esp with things that are dear and have strong connection of who you are. But as much as possible try not to, ok.

Peetmoss
February 10, 2003, 08:09 PM
I have to say I respect that. He was in tears over the disrespect of our flag and what it represents to him. That man loves what that flag represents. Our country and all the men who died for it. Critizing someone for that is like critizing someone for crying when a member of there family dies. Thats how I feel about that. :fire:

George Hill
February 10, 2003, 08:16 PM
I don't know about you HARD CORE types...
But I get teary at some things... Tears of rage, frustration, pity for the fools that don't know what they are doing...
I teared up when our forces were engaged in Somalia... When the Towers Fell. When two soldiers died in Kuait, ambushed along the road. I got teary when the Cloumbia burned.
I got teary not beause I am a huge wuss... but because I am an American Citizen and I take my nation's liberty personally, and national tragedy personally. Because I LOVE MY COUNTRY.

That and I am just a big teddy bear. Formerly known as "Kodiac".

nathan
February 10, 2003, 08:19 PM
Very well said.

RikWriter
February 10, 2003, 09:00 PM
I've always been one to get a bit teary-eyed when it comes to my country and the symbols of my country. I get a bit choked up when I hear God Bless the USA, even before 9-11, and since 9-11 I get choked up even easier.
I don't blame the General for getting choked up about folks WE helped to keep free and safe burning our flag. Me, however, if I had been there I think I would have reacted more with rage than sadness.

Shalako
February 11, 2003, 02:18 PM
Maybe the general served in the Korean War? That would make sense. If I lived through the carnage those guys saw, and then to see their effort spit on by thankless folks (agitated to demonstrations by the North Ks), I'd be upset too.

I just finished We Were Soldiers Once, And Young by Lt Gen Hal Moore. He teared up a couple times too. Man those guys are our country's finest and I have the deepest respect for them and the sacrifices they made. I imagine the Korean Vets underwent similar horrors as well.

Viking6
February 11, 2003, 03:19 PM
I teared up about a week ago when my son's dog died unexpectedly and have teared up on other occasions. I don't usually confuse honest emotion with weakness. I personally think that would be a mistake. As for doing it in front of a camera, again true emotion can't be turned on and off like a faucet. But I didn't see the interview. Maybe someone told him George Clooney was going to play him in a movie. SORRY, couldn't resist a little Georgie bashing.

AnklePocket
February 11, 2003, 04:34 PM
I was shocked to see the General crying like that, but then I understood that he may be the right man for the job. Pretty sure that I haven't mentioned it anywhere before, but I cried at least 10 times on Sept. 11th and well over 100 times since. I can say with 100% confidence that a Battalion of others just like me is all that it would take to completely resolve the terrorism problem.

Byron Quick
February 11, 2003, 04:41 PM
The bravest man I have ever known personally was a man who cried easily. I once watched his back as he faced down a mob-crippled, wearing leg braces and leaning on a cane. The mob backed down for they knew him and knew the price he was willing to pay. They weren't willing to pay it with him.

standingbear
February 11, 2003, 06:12 PM
its about honor.people have died to preserve freedom and yet others see it as a joke.im sure the general felt a great sense of loss at being reminded of this.shows he is a human being,not a machine.i see no shame in his actions.

Autolite
February 11, 2003, 07:32 PM
I have personally witnessed a Lt. Col. cry in front of an audience. It does not inspire confidence.

pittspilot
February 11, 2003, 08:24 PM
Depends

I watched Bush Sr. well up when he spoke about the night before sending the troops into Kuwait.

It was obvious that it was a decision that weighed heavily on the man. I do not think less of him for feeling the weight.

I have also watched Clinton shed tears and been less then impressed.

Mark D
February 11, 2003, 08:25 PM
Yikes! I would prefer to have someone commanding men who had a firm hold on the value of life, emotion, sacrifice and pride. Heaven help us if our top brass is composed of men who do not know fear, compassion, joy, anger and pity.

If the guy has three stars, I doubt he's a wuss. I would encourage all those who think that he might be a wuss to take their accusations to him and mention that term to his face. Just make sure you bring some advil for the swelling.

waterdog
February 11, 2003, 08:26 PM
Jesus cried

waterdog

Matthew Courtney
February 11, 2003, 08:29 PM
I cry every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner. Maybe that means I'm a wimp. I think it is because I know what the words mean. I cried at the memorial services for my father and my grandfather. I cried the first time my daughter said," daddy". It's the men who don't cry we need to be worried about.

jmbg29
February 11, 2003, 08:37 PM
Just make sure you bring some advil for the swelling. Arr laddie! Real men don't take advil! ;) ;) ;)

Besides, advil won't cure a coma. :evil:

jmbg29
February 11, 2003, 08:50 PM
US General Cries on TV 60 Minutes also ran a piece on Mel Gibson and Lt. General Hal Moore in which Gen. Moore had to leave the screening room at West Point where they were premiering "We Were Soldiers" for the Cadets. General Moore was extremely emotional, and was rather speechless when he returned toward the end of the film.

Anybody want to bash him while we are at it?

thumbtack
February 11, 2003, 10:02 PM
I think the tears were from the strain of suppressing the urge to snap the neck of the flag burners.

PATH
February 11, 2003, 11:38 PM
blades67,

Actually I went to a very good school. Please note that a 21 gun salute is given to Presidents and foreign heads of state. 21 gun salutes are also given at Presidential funerals. Presidents Day observances, Independence day, and Memorial Day(at 12 noon while flag is lowered to half mast) are also occasions when a 21 gun salute is appropriate.

If I am incorrect please enlighten me.

What is up with posting a :neener: ? Are we being a tad sarcastic?:what: :neener:

Lennyjoe
February 12, 2003, 05:30 AM
I assume he was crying about the fact that the head of our government has every gun we own pointed at Iraq while the end of the world is being written by the certifiable lunatic who is in charge of North Korea. That fruitcake will have weapons grade uranium within 3 to 6 months, and GWB is obsessed with kicking Saddam's butt. may God help us.

Dude, I know what you mean. My *** feels like its hanging in the wind over here. I have a bad feeling that Kim whats his nuts up North might try and pull some funny business and get us all in a shooting war over here.

hansolo
February 12, 2003, 07:41 AM
I'm with ya, Man! The General is probably a big 'Ol Teddy Bear, too...like Teddy Roosevelt....until he's ticked enough to start eating some Enemy ALIVE!:fire:

Bother, said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

....another TFL alumnus -- I forget his name, but not his signature line!

Delmar
February 12, 2003, 07:42 AM
Tears do not necessarily equal weakness. Have an older brother who tears up when he gets mad. A word of warning-you do not want to be around him when he does this, as a giant knuckle sammich is about to follow:what:

Ol' Badger
February 12, 2003, 01:39 PM
vomited when he visited a consertration camp. Just because your a General doesnt mean you cant show feelings!

If you enjoyed reading about "US General Cries on TV" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!