More exposure for our side!

PDA

nualle
February 10, 2003, 01:55 PM
I just finished an interview with a local newspaper reporter doing a story on the Twin Cities chapter of the Pink Pistols. He was polite throughout and asked good, non-leading questions.

Hey Oleg: I even had a chance to point him to your web site!

I dunno when (or if) the story will run. I'll post an update when I know more.

If you enjoyed reading about "More exposure for our side!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KMKeller
February 10, 2003, 02:04 PM
Great News!

mrsMTN
February 10, 2003, 03:04 PM
Cool!!:cool:

Dave R
February 10, 2003, 03:07 PM
nualle, thanks for representing us. Let us know how the coverage turns out.

Diesle
February 10, 2003, 03:28 PM
What newspaper...?

BTW, tomorrow is the first public hearing of the MMPA down at the legislature. Headed quickly towards shall issue here in Minnesota!

Diesle

cordex
February 10, 2003, 05:42 PM
Outstanding!

Look forward to a link to the story.

Fat brown heathen dyke with a 12-gauge and a smile!
Hmmm .... "Skinny, pale agnostic hetero with a rifle and a perpetual scowl."

Nah ... just doesn't have the same ring to it.

blades67
February 10, 2003, 05:45 PM
Good luck.

jmbg29
February 10, 2003, 06:05 PM
Extra-primo-good!

Calamity Jane
February 10, 2003, 11:24 PM
How neat! Looking forward to further info! :)

nualle
February 11, 2003, 12:37 AM
Diesle: Pioneer Press.

He mentioned wanting to be at the next meeting to see what it's like and perhaps find more interviewees, so the story won't be out until at least next week.

DonP
February 11, 2003, 11:04 AM
Just a suggestion nualle.

You might want to put together a single page, maybe two at the most, of key points about the Pink Pistols, and the 2nd amendment in general for the writer. Stuff like how many American's own guns (we are not the minority of gun nuts that people want to paint us as).

Even a quick shot at the NRA having Millions of dues paying members and Sara Brady only having a hundred thousand can be good for a sound bite! It puts into qiuestion how valid the grabbers positions are since they represent a minority point of view in this country.

I deal with the press for a living and I've found many of them remarkably ignorant of basic American History. You may actually have to explain to them that the prupose of the Bill of Rights was to restrict government, not to grant rights to the citizens.

He may also hit you with the Brady Bunch crap about "how many children are killed every day" etc. or someother phony statistic to see how you react and possibly paint the Pink Pistols (I didn't mean that pun, sorry) with the same brush they do anyone else that owns or shoots a gun.

You want them to see and portray the group accurately as a serious group of Americans that believe in the 2nd amendment, not as a "novelty act". As in "Isn't that cute, a bunch of gay folks that shoot guns".

Good luck and is you want any suggestions or help putting together the Key Facts page, feel free to let me know and I'll try and help.

Don P.

Kentucky Rifle
February 11, 2003, 11:40 AM
Way to go! And thank you. And thank you to "The Pink Pistols".

(Twin Cities, eh? I was there once...during winter. A Southern guy has a difficult time there. I almost froze!)

:)
KR

4v50 Gary
February 11, 2003, 06:34 PM
You're a brave hombre to speak with the press. I only spoke when the job required and thankfully, the job doesn't require me to.

nualle
February 12, 2003, 10:08 AM
:D Thanks Gary (and everyone else who've offered kind words)!

But, uh... I'm a mujer. Does it count that my wife finds me mas macha? ;)

DonP: Thanks for your suggestions and offer of help. The reason the reporter picked me to talk to had to do with a pro-gun, pro-gay pamphlet I wrote back in 2000. It had a few facts in it... but he already had a copy of the pamphlet, so the interview covered different ground. Mostly what he seemed interested in was my own story of how I got interested in guns and how/why I linked these two bits of my world.

DonP
February 12, 2003, 10:36 AM
Reporters love it when they find what, to them, appears to be a conflict in their carefully compartmentalized well ordered world.

To a reporter a Gay person that enjoys what they consider to be a conservative type past time is a "man bites dog" story opportunity. Afyter all aren't all gay folks liberal, just like all black folks are, right?

They are treating the college gun clubs at women's univeristies the same way. They just can't fathom why any obviously liberal person would do something as strange as this.

The Pink Pistols response to inquiries has been great.

Keep up the good work and make sure that reporter sees you as a great contact and resource on anything related to firearms or second amendment related issues, not just gay firearm owners issues.

Keep up the good work and good luck!

Don P.

Diesle
February 12, 2003, 10:44 AM
nualle,

How large an organization is the pink pistols (in minneapolis)?

I was at the MMPA hearing and I saw a bunch of folks dressed in pink and I began to think it was a showing of the Pink Pistols. Turned out to be about 50 people representing Million Mom March. They made up the majority of MMPA 'opposition' at the hearing.

Would be great if the Pink Pistols could come out and show support for the MMPA at the public committee hearings...

Info at - http://www.mnccrn.org/

Diesle

nualle
February 12, 2003, 03:56 PM
Diesle: I don't know how big the group is, but I've PMed you an email address for its local organizer, who can answer any questions you've got.

I had hoped to show up to the hearing in my Pink Pistols tee, but it turned out that I couldn't make it. I still hope to make it to another hearing.

Trisha
February 12, 2003, 05:10 PM
Warmest hugs!

Was the reporter polite because you were packing some serious firepower?

:D

Trisha

Blackhawk
February 12, 2003, 05:32 PM
Way to go, nualle! :neener:

nualle
February 12, 2003, 10:54 PM
Trisha: It's a tempting thought, but no. The whole interview was handled over the phone. He didn't have to go out in our chilly weather, and I didn't have to tidy up the place for guests. Ideal!

Jeff OTMG
February 12, 2003, 10:58 PM
nualle, thank you so much. I hope everyone realizes the good that the Pink Pistols has done for our cause. Generally gays are thought to be liberal Democrats and to have a group like this siding with a bunch of pro-gun conservative Republicans is an amazingly powerful political coup for the gun rights side.

If you enjoyed reading about "More exposure for our side!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!