fold my own wire stock? how easy?

PDA

cpileri
May 20, 2004, 01:55 PM
How easy is it/ what tools are needed/ who can i contact to, etc. make a wire stock of my very own?

I would like one as seen in the Cop Stock: http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/TechSupport/COPtech.htm
but maybe even simpler as in just a wire stock, drill a hole in the grip and put a nut&bolt through it to hold the wire stock in and allow rotation, and maybe weld a little cross piece on the wire to keep it from going too far and becoming an 'under-folding stock'.

or on the Czech Skorpion VZ-61 (but bigger, if so desired), and many other similar designs.

I have in mind to put it on my Handi-Mauser project (q.v.) and it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to make- i just don't think i can do it and cant find an online source.

Please, PLEASE! No comments on aesthetics. I have made this my tester-outer-project, and have no aesthetics in mind: mostly just trying techniques and ideas for future, more artistically pleasing projects.

And it is legal, whole length is already 31-inches, its a bolt action, and any wire or folding stock is a non-issue on this type of rifle.

thanks,
C

If you enjoyed reading about "fold my own wire stock? how easy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
May 21, 2004, 12:02 AM
Not hard at all. Put it in the vise and slip a pipe over it and tweak, tweak, tweak. I'd get that "U" shape in first and then bend the legs to match.

Your local blacksmith can do it for you. Heating it makes it more mallable and avoids work hardening.

cpileri
May 21, 2004, 04:52 AM
that sounds easy enough.
Any recs on what type and what gauge of wire to use?
C-

4v50 Gary
May 23, 2004, 11:42 AM
I'd stick with 4140 1/4" round stock if that was available. That's should be heavy enough to do the job.

If you enjoyed reading about "fold my own wire stock? how easy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!