********** border gun checks?

PDA

QuikClik
February 10, 2003, 02:36 PM
I am planning a motorhome trip to move from Oregon to Nevada but have heard rumors of gun checks likely at the Agriculture check stations. Yes or no? :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "********** border gun checks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Baba Louie
February 10, 2003, 02:53 PM
Don't know about the northern border, but going from Las Vegas to So. Cal via I-15, I've NEVER EVER been stopped. They hardly slow ya down, just a shady spot in the road.

I guess if I wanted to be real evil, I could smuggle in some oranges or avacado's or a houseplant. Watch out for those fruit flys.

I always have some form of concealable weapon on or near me tho' when ever I enter the "Golden State". No hi-caps tho, not anymore. 10 rd. max with multiple magazines (of course).

Adios

Kharn
February 10, 2003, 03:12 PM
The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 says you are legal on any journey if your guns are legal at your start & end points and you only stop for food, sleep and gas. Weapons must be cased (properly stored? do manufacturer's boxes count?) and seperated from ammo.

The Kali cops might not understand and could try to confiscate your guns, but its federal law.

Kharn

denfoote
February 10, 2003, 03:20 PM
The People's Democratic Republic of ********** has said that the Constitution doesn't apply to their little communist fifedom!!! You might have trouble!! ;)

Russ
February 10, 2003, 03:33 PM
I've been in and out alot and have never been searched. Just give up any fruit you have and then they may take a quick look for illegals and they will probably let you go. If you have any hi cap mags, I would leave them behind or hide them in case they do look. I haven't tried going into the PRK in car since the ban went into effect, just out. They are mainly looking for produce. Don't want them evil fruit flys and other pests destroying the multi-billion dollar crops.

I don't think they have time to check too much stuff without holding people up too long. Unless you look suspicious (whatever that means) you should have no problem. I've found if I'm nice to them, they are nice to me. I give them the apples in my cooler and they say thanks and have a nice day.

Wilhelm
February 10, 2003, 03:40 PM
Its just one big scam to get free produce.:D

Wilhelm

PATH
February 10, 2003, 03:41 PM
Well, since ********** does not recognize the Constitution one should be careful.

Russ
February 10, 2003, 04:35 PM
PATH,

They do recognize their sorry excuse for one that has no provision to keep and bear arms in it. They don't care about the Federal Constitution.

According to the 9th Circuit, it is a breathing living document that should be interpreted based on times and circumstances. Basically, they think Madison, Adams, Washington Jefferson and the rest of them wouldn't be stupid enough to write something that couldn't be changed with the times. I guess all those long hours of debate, agonizing writting and re-writting by the founding fathers was just for fun. They didn't really mean it.

There is a petition to get the CA Constitution changed so the dolts that run the state will have to listen. It will just take gun-owners getting involved.

Denton T. Young
February 10, 2003, 04:40 PM
I go thru a CA agricultural check point about once a week. Usually I'm waved thru and don't have to stop. Sometimes they ask if you have and fruit or veggies on board. They have never asked about guns.

TallPine
February 10, 2003, 04:50 PM
Unless you look suspicious

I suppose a Montana license plate would qualify as "suspicious" ...? :D

blades67
February 10, 2003, 05:02 PM
A Montana plate gets you a visit from one of their SWAT teams.:evil:

Gary H
February 10, 2003, 05:20 PM
Remember to remove your NRA and G.W.B. bumper stickers. The only thing they hate more than guns is a Republican with a gun.

Slabside
February 10, 2003, 06:57 PM
Don't know about the California thing but can tell you that Texas State Parks in west TX near the border, have Border Patrol Agents that routinely stop vehicles and inspect them for "illegal immigrants". It's a pretty good excuse to look around in your vehicle.

QuikClik
February 10, 2003, 08:04 PM
I didn't think of removing ALL of my NRA stickers off both the motorhome and tow car...... or maybe temporarily covering them up with Good Sam Stickers will get me through? :confused:

Bainx
February 10, 2003, 08:32 PM
Believe me, nothing but nothing that happens in the communist regime of Kalifornication would ever possibly surprise me.

In my opinion, Kali has eclipsed Bill Klinton in terms of rediculous.

redhead
February 10, 2003, 08:40 PM
The agricultural check stations won't be a problem. I've been through them numerous times. They just ask you if you have any plants, or fruit, or vegetables. One time they wanted to examine an orange I had with me. I'd bought it at a supermarket, they looked at it closely, and gave it back. They might confiscate any houseplants you might have, though. Don't even try to bring in any weeds! :D

4v50 Gary
February 10, 2003, 10:54 PM
One of the biggest industry in CA is agriculture. The entire Sacramento Valley is one fertile farm teeming with with either crops or cattle (you know the Harris Ranch is close as you drive near it on I-5). Our Napa Valley produces wine that is enjoyed through out the world. Why, even Night Train, Ripple and Wild Irish Rose is produced here. The State Aggies job is to protect that interest & not intercept guns. With the state budget the way it is, I doubt if they could spare the ChimPs (sorry guys, joking).

Tady45
February 11, 2003, 11:38 AM
I drive back & forth to Arizona all the time, haven't seen anything...YET :scrutiny:

Larry

Jim March
February 11, 2003, 03:14 PM
There is a seriously hilarious solution to this problem, which is also faced by another group:

http://www.ferretsanon.com/miscpages/avoidcheckpoints.htm

http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/maps.html

That's right. These are maps of the back roads around each checkpoint, with detailed instructions on pulling detours.

Compiled by ferret owners!!!

See also this thread:

http://calguns.net/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=888602736&f=5986098711&m=5896000722

larryw
February 11, 2003, 05:05 PM
The only way to avoid getting stopped and popped is to wrap your guns in aluminum foil (not Reynolds, but the heavy Cosco stuff). That will block the gamma-ray weapon locating goggles the ATF (Anti Tactical Ferret) Control Agents use to find these nefarious items. Make sure you wear a beanie made of several layers of this foil to avoid their mind control. For the fashion conscious or those who don't want to attract attention, chewing on tin foil also helps.

Russ
February 11, 2003, 05:05 PM
I was never asked if I had a ferret. If you get caught with one it's probably a felony knowing how screwed up the laws are there.

We had a neighbor whose ferret got away. We found him and let him run around the house until his owners came home. Cool little thing. He just ignored my dog and cat while he was checking out my house. The dog and cat were curious but neither tried to go after him.

I might get one here. I'm pretty sure they are legal in KY.

CWL
February 11, 2003, 06:09 PM
Answer is NO!

Do people REALLY believe all the junk about California? I guess they do. It's the bleeding heart/crystal rubbing transplants from other states that make this beautiful state a looney-bin. Keep em' in your own backyard!

Agricultural inspectors are state-employed members of USDA, you know, the ones who stamp your steaks? They mostly follow & enforce federal guidelines.

They have no connection with BATF, FBI, NAZIS, FEMBOTS or whatever. :rolleyes:

Lock up your guns, separate your ammo and drive on through CA.

Gewehr98
February 11, 2003, 06:36 PM
There's nothing stopping those friendly USDA agicultural inspectors from picking up the horn to the ********** DOJ, who enforce those draconian bans on guns that are perfectly legal in other states. Just like when local Sacramento police approach a certain home address, and the dispatcher warns them that guns are registered there. (Actually witnessed that one in my 10 years of gunowner hell) Just because the Ag inspectors aren't required to do so doesn't mean they won't, they probably think they're doing somebody a favor.

And yes, Kharn, just because the Federal Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 is on the books doesn't mean that Bill Lockyer and crew in ********** choose to abide by it. If they see a banned weapon entering the state, you can certainly take your chances and hope they're gonna look the other way. Don't forget, the banned weapon list in ********** is a pretty long one, that seemingly innocent SKS with a detachable magazine could get you into a lot of hot water. Just like when you bring a handgun into that state, and forget to comply with the mandatory registration within so many days of arrival. See the posters on the wall at the DMV for specifics. :(

redhead
February 11, 2003, 08:31 PM
If they see a banned weapon entering the state, you can certainly take your chances and hope they're gonna look the other way.

I have travelled a number of times through the check stations both into and out of California with firearms in the car. They were in their cases, in the back of the SUV. The Ag inspectors didn't look at them, didn't ask about them, didn't care. They wanted to look at the oranges I had. That's it. How are they going to know about your banned AW's? Do you have them in plain sight? Being paranoid can have it's uses, but sometimes it's just a waste of stomach acid.

Gordon
February 12, 2003, 12:00 AM
When deputies come on official business to my ranch they call ahead with"hey Gordon your not out in the brush with your assault rifles are you?". Of course the alphabet goons probably wouldn't knock.......

alan
February 12, 2003, 12:15 AM
Kharm wrote:

"The Kali cops might not understand and could try to confiscate your guns, but its federal law."

I believe that the correct spelling would be STEAL.

If you enjoyed reading about "********** border gun checks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!