Military Standards for Pistol Marksmanship?

PDA

TheLastBoyScout
May 20, 2004, 03:08 PM
Where could I find the military pistol qualifier course of fire online?

If you enjoyed reading about "Military Standards for Pistol Marksmanship?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy joe
May 20, 2004, 07:17 PM
Which one? There are many different pistol qualifications, some of the security quals bring the guys back thinking they are really badarsed, questioning reveals that they are run through a very basic practical shooting course with times an IDPA marksman could make. Worse yet they usually include some lousy tactics.

I recently shot the Navy's afloat pistol qualification. Last year I shot it and it was my absolute first time shooting an M-9 pistol. I shot 234/240. This year I cut my group size in half and had two flyers 1/4" out of the 5 for a 238/240. Now by USPSA standards I am about a 65% guy right now which has held up in matches with the world's best. Somehow by the military's standards I am a 99% shooting god. A year, 20K+ rounds from various pistols, a personally owned 92FS, and about a 25% improvement in my ability netted 4 additional points. What I'm saying here is the Navy's pistol qual is way to freakin easy. Here it tis, shot from the low ready, all magazines loaded to six rounds, M-9 pistol on-safe Cond. 1 to start. 48 rounds, target is Dept. of Treasury Transitional Target II AKA the blue blob.

3 yds:
-2 rounds/4 sec
-2rds/4sec
-4rds/10sec(reload in there)
-4rds/7sec(last two weak hand only)

7yds, repeat the 3yd course

15yds, repeat 3yd course with the exception of no weak hand in last string.

15yds. 12rds in 45 seconds. 6 standing, 6 kneeling.

Ashore course is similar but takes the range out to 25 yds. These times are ridiculously easy to make. About 40% of the shooters I watched end up with saved rounds because they can't get the reload done in 10 seconds. I just had to give my self a talking to to slow way down, everyone else was of course speeding up. Target scoring is as per the target legend, 5 zone is an 8"x12" oval at center chest, just plain huge.

HSMITH
May 20, 2004, 09:54 PM
I was a consistent 240 shooter when I shot the same course Joe listed 15 or so years ago, and I concur fully that it was WAY too easy. I had the advantage of shooting it with 1911's though.

The course of fire for medal qualification was much harder, and scores reflected it. I dropped back to midrange "expert" righthanded and high-ish "sharpshooter' when shooting left handed. Me being me did not know the qualifier was one time only and shot it lefthanded :banghead: :banghead: . Oh well, no one beat me and I was shooting with my off-hand. The M9 would make medal qualification significantly easier though, and would be my choice of military handguns for such a course of fire.

bradvanhorn
May 20, 2004, 10:27 PM
Hey Navy Joe, how's that 92FS working for you?

Standard Marine Corps qualification course for the Beretta M9:

1st stage - 25 yards, 15 rounds slow-fire, single action, in 10 minutes

2nd stage - 7 yards, five strings of one round, starting from the low ready, one double action shot, like three seconds per string

3rd stage - 7 yards, four strings, each string is two rounds, starting from the low ready, one double action shot and one single action shot, like five seconds per string

4th stage - 15 yards, two strings, each string is six rounds, starting from the low ready, first round double action, then two rounds single action, hit slide-lock, reload and fire three more single action shots, 20 seconds per string

Very pathetic in my opinion. I've never shot less than expert, but I really don't think that's much of an accomplishment given how lame the course is. I'm working on a proposal to radically change the course of fire, but someone already tried, the Marine Corps initially committed to change, then someone recently decided this lameness was still good enough. Yeah, right...

Navy joe
May 21, 2004, 02:37 PM
Beretta is working great. I used it to train a couple of folks for the qualification, I got one to shoot a 211 their first time shooting a gun, so yay for me and yay for an easy course. After 2000 rounds with no cleaning it is cycling a little sluggishly, fine for me, limp wrist jamming for others. I have to know how dirty each gun can get, I guess I can't leave my Beretta dirty like I can a Glock. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Military Standards for Pistol Marksmanship?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!