a simple mag refinishing

PDA

Serpico
May 21, 2004, 02:09 AM
I recently sent 4 of my hi-power mags out to Mac's Restorations and he did a great job on them....then I found one more grizzled old mag and was wondering if I can just refinish it myself as a little project...after a little steel wool and a cleaning, what can I do at hime to give it a simple durable finish?

If you enjoyed reading about "a simple mag refinishing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IamV
May 21, 2004, 03:29 AM
i'm assuming your magazines are some type of carbon steel and not stainless or plated..

one option is that you can parkerize and then coat it with some brand of teflon/moly coat... you can just spray it without the 'park', but it doesnt provide as much 'tooth' for the teflon/moly...

the spray/bake route is not hard to accomplish but to get good results, you really need to have access to a bead blaster... ive done parts where I havent bead blasted and it's never been as good as parts that have been blasted, re-parked, sprayed and then finally baked.. whenever i skip the blast, parkerize step.. the coating never holds up as well...

oh, i almost forgot, there's an issue with using steel wool to clean/buff metal... you run the risk of having steel particles from the wool imbed itself into the surface that you're rubbing.... it's problematic due to a possiblity of having the steel wool particles rusting at some later time...

doing the blasting, reparking and spray/bake is quite easy and isnt' time consuming once you get the hang of it... also, it's fairly cheap and if you make a mistake, it's easy to manage.. the only thing that's iffy is the bead blasting cabinet...good luck if you dont have access to one..

v.

BluesBear
May 21, 2004, 11:16 AM
My brother had some magazines bead blasted a couple of years ago.
He found a local hot rod shop that would do them for $2 each.
He then re-parked them with one of those home parkerizing kits and they can out looking splendid.

If you enjoyed reading about "a simple mag refinishing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!