Private handgun sales?

PDA

TheOtherOne
February 10, 2003, 05:03 PM
I know it's going to vary greatly from state to state.... but in general, what's the laws on selling a handgun to a friend?

As long as he is over 21 and not a convicted felon then you are okay? Do you have to fill out paper work or anything and where would get it if you do?

If you enjoyed reading about "Private handgun sales?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
February 10, 2003, 05:28 PM
In Arizona, there's no paperwork involved for private transfers.

TheOtherOne
February 10, 2003, 05:32 PM
What would happen if you make a private sale of a gun to a convicted felon, but you didn't know he was a convicted felon and he told you when he bought that he wasn't?

cordex
February 10, 2003, 05:34 PM
In Indiana it is lawful to sell a handgun to any mentally competant person over the age of 18 who to your knowledge is not a convicted felon in a cash and carry private transaction.

If you find out later that the purchaser had lied to you about their legal status, go to the cops and tell them what happened. Of course, circumstances might exist wherein you might choose to conceal the fact that you ever learned that the purchaser had been lying ...

If in doubt, go through a dealer.

[edit: text added to answer second question]

blades67
February 10, 2003, 05:38 PM
Make it easy on yourself, ask to see their voter registration card.

Hkmp5sd
February 10, 2003, 05:43 PM
In Florida, there is no paperwork involved in private sales. As long as the seller believes the person is of proper age and is not a criminal, he can sell the gun.

Most people I know, however, do take down the buyers driver's license info and have the buyer sign a receipt acknowledging the transfer. It is not required, just a form of CYA.

Moondancer
February 10, 2003, 05:48 PM
In Michigan, all sales even between individuals must go through the local LE agency, or whichever agency handles the Permit to Purchase for your locality.

All handgun sales must utilize the State's P to P form.

So far as I am aware unless changed in the last few years.

Smoke
February 10, 2003, 05:53 PM
Make it easy on yourself, ask to see their voter registration card.

Thats not something I carry around on me.

I get and give a copy of a Bill of Sale on every firearm I buy or sell.

I have a trail of what I did. I'm not responsible for what they do.

10-Ring
February 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
In CA, to my knowledge, every handgun sale has to go throuh a dealer for the dros.

Peetmoss
February 10, 2003, 07:16 PM
IN NY you have to have a Noterized statement or a bill of sale.

Powderman
February 11, 2003, 06:59 AM
For those who live in CCW states, there is a simple solution: Ask to see their CHP. You can restrict your sale to only those who have one, if you wish.

If you transfer a firearm to a person who you later find out is a convicted felon, the ONLY thing that you can do is to report the transaction to your local law enforcement agency forthwith.

This will prevent any "accessory" charges, should the gun be llater used in a crime.

If you enjoyed reading about "Private handgun sales?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!