Rebarreling a Enfield No1 MkIII

PDA

CWatson
May 21, 2004, 03:28 PM
I have a Enfield No1 MkIII that I picked up at a gunshow years ago for $20.The barrel was heavily pitted so it has sat.Recently I found a like new barrel at a very reasonable price and was thinking of doing the swap myself.

Any trick to the job?Put stripped reciever in vise,screw barrel off.Screw new barrel on,then what?

Thanks,CWatson

If you enjoyed reading about "Rebarreling a Enfield No1 MkIII" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wildalaska
May 21, 2004, 03:42 PM
Ya need an action wrench and headspace gauges to do the job right..

My recollection is that the gauges were specialized items but I could be wrong..

If it doesnt headpsace, ya need bolt heads.

Take it to a gunsmith

WildpennywisepoundfoolishAlaska

CWatson
May 21, 2004, 05:59 PM
No gunsmith for me.I have never taken a gun to one that did not have to go back again and again and..till I take it apart do it myself.

Except for King's Gunworks who specialize in 1911s most if not all the smiths here in Los Angeles are living on their reputations from yesteryear.

I heard about the bolt heads but also from the same source heard that applied to the No4 Mk.I only.

Thanks,CWatson

Old&Slow
May 21, 2004, 06:13 PM
As said if it`s an SMLE III and doesn`t headspace with a .303 gauge you will need a new bolt head. Many of the older Enfields need new heads.

They are marked 1,2 or 3.

The new barrel needs to be carefully indexed BTW

The last time my Smith, who knowns SMLE`s rather well, removed a LE barrel he needed a 4 foot braker bar wrench after soaking it in penetrating oil for a day and then heating it with a torch..........Good Luck

Sunray
May 22, 2004, 02:04 AM
You need a barrel vise, an action wrench, a handful of bolt heads and head space guages. If you just put it in a vise, I guarantee you'll twist the action and it'll be a big paper weight. Barrel goes into the vise, then the wrench goes on the action and you whack it with something heavy. Brownell's has the vise, but it takes a proper action wrench. Doing it any otherway will result in the paperweight..
Mk III bolt heads are NOT marked like a No. 4 bolt head. Same principle, change bolt head until the head space is ok, but the bolt heads are not numbered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rebarreling a Enfield No1 MkIII" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!