How about a General discussion or Lounge section?

PDA

BigBlueEyedDevil
May 23, 2004, 02:40 PM
If this has been covered before, I apologize. I have been to many "theme" specific forums that will have a "Lounge" area where you can post whatever you want(within reason) obviously. I get frustrated sometimes when I post about Gun themed license plates or start talking about something that sparked my interest in a thread and have it be off topic.

Lots of members on this board have other hobbies and are knowledgeable in many other areas. I think it would be neat to have a forum where I could ask advice on a new car, where to move to, if anyone saw the new action movie, etc, etc...

Thanks for reading, BBED

If you enjoyed reading about "How about a General discussion or Lounge section?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IRONFIST
May 23, 2004, 03:24 PM
In my opinion, this board has needed something like your suggestion from the very first day of operation. A lot of the recent squabbling could have been avoided by shunting "off-topic" posts into a General Non-firearms related forum. There folks could have had their say and wouldn't have gotten their feelings hurt by being "censored" by the Mods. This new forum could have been used like a safety valve for the rest of the board. Perhaps some of our recently departed members would still be here if there was such a place for contentious threads. On another board that I frequent called the FAL Files, there is also a forum called "Dumping Brass". Its pretty much no-hold barred in there and I think, serves a valuable purpose. It allows FAL Files members to get out their anger and animosity towards each other in a constructive manner. For instance, If you have two FAL Files members who don't like each other, instead of sniping at each others posts in the general forums... they take it to "Dumping brass" and have at it, out of earshot of the folks who don't care to read about the two members flamewar. I know that the stated mission of The High Road is to be above the fray and to provide a forum for gentlemen to discuss firearms issues, but this is not being realistic about human behavior. As nice as we all TRY to be, there comes a time when someone angers or rubs you the wrong way. As it stands now, there is no way on the High Road for a member to address that problem. They are expected to be civil or be quiet. That sounds great on paper, but in real life its a bit naive. Overall, I must say that The High Road has done an excellent job with providing us a haven on the web, and I am not trying to denigrate it any way. I just believe that some things could have been handled differently by the powers that be... And everything I have just said in the above post is worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

Foreign Devil
May 23, 2004, 09:21 PM
This has been asked several times since I've been here.

As I understand it the creators wanted to have a place where people could talk about how to save our civil rights, not spend bandwidth and server space contemplating our favorite beer or tv show.

I think they finally caved in and created that "roundtable" forum.

WonderNine
May 25, 2004, 04:44 AM
As I understand it the creators wanted to have a place where people could talk about how to save our civil rights, not spend bandwidth and server space contemplating our favorite beer or tv show.

I think they finally caved in and created that "roundtable" forum.

Posts like this worry me:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83352

Obviously gun related, but posted in the Roundtable where alot of people won't see it. Especially if they don't want to wade through the "What truck should I buy" type of posts. Belongs in General Gun Discussion or General Handguns.

If you enjoyed reading about "How about a General discussion or Lounge section?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!