Scope Trouble

PDA

nwb01
May 23, 2004, 08:57 PM
Recently purchased a Remington 700 VS and a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Scope. I installed Leupold bases and rings, two piece bases. Put the scope on and went to the range. Started off shooting at close range and found that the scope ran out of elevation adustment. Upon further investigation of the scope and mounts I found the following: Scope reticle does not move full range of adjustment. Found to have about 3 turns of adjustment without reticle moving, one problem found!!! Looked over the rings and bases. If I remove to top part of the rings and put a straight edge across them they are at an angle!! I measured the height of each ring and found them to be the same. Is this normal?? Could the bases be machined wrong? I am confused and need some help!!

Thanks in advance.

Nick

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Trouble" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lycanthrope
May 23, 2004, 09:51 PM
Leopold STD rings? Are the bases Weaver style? Are they high bases? In what way are the bases angled?

Just a bit more info will help.

STD rings can be adjusted for windage, but can be a PITA. High bases can cause the elevated problem, but there are bases to fix that with downward angle milled in. And.....even if the bases are not inline with the bore you can have it redrilled or use Burris rings with the offsets.

nwb01
May 23, 2004, 10:02 PM
Yes, they are std rings. The bases are turn-in style in the front with the windage screws in the rear. The front ring is higher than the rear.

Thanks again

larryw
May 23, 2004, 10:09 PM
Sounds like the wrong bases or something's wrong with the bases. And torquing down a scope in misaligned rings can mess it up pretty good.

lycanthrope
May 23, 2004, 10:57 PM
Yeah, STD bases. Not a good design IMHO.

OK. Here is how you do it. Make sure the front turn in is in line with the bore. You can actually turn it past where it is square and that will mess everything up. Then put in the side windage screw of the rear ring. You must tighten them evenly (1/4 twist one side..then the other) or you will torque the scope to one side. This will cause your problem. Btw, these rings are made so you can set the scope to optical center (count your total windage clicks and then set it to half way). You actually sight your gun in for windage by using the screws on the sides of the rings.

As for you elevation problem, make sure you don't have the bases mixed up. Unless the bases are extra high, you shouldn't have a problem.

lycanthrope
May 23, 2004, 11:03 PM
Oh wait. I don't think you can mess up the bases on a STD setup. Disregard that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Trouble" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!