anyone ever try water based "polyacrylic" on a set of grips

PDA

Detritus
May 24, 2004, 12:04 AM
was speaking with some folks at work (i work in a home improvement/hardware store) asking suggestions on what they would use on something like a pair of grip panels when you simply want to put a layer of protection over the wood and maybe bring out a little of the figure int eh wood, and not add too much glossiness.

two of the folks who currently or have in the past worked in the paint dept (including one who is a woodworking hobbyist) suggested a small amount of the Minwax satin "polyacrylic". but since i'm not sure of this, (esp not sure of using it on wood with checkering) i sort of want to bounce this off the group here before i do something like this.....

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone ever try water based "polyacrylic" on a set of grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blfuller
May 24, 2004, 04:30 PM
I'd use something like the Formbys Tung Oil or Tru-Oil. Both of these are absorbed into the wood and won't clog the checkering like a Polyureathane.

crt360
May 24, 2004, 07:28 PM
I would probably use a few coats of tung oil. It gives a very natural feeling satin finish and will enhance any natural figuring in the wood. While I've never actually used it on a stock or grips, I have used it on guitar necks that receive 1,000 times the wear of pistol grips and it holds up well. I've never used water-based poly-acrylic, but I have used water-based polyurethane on a few projects and while it may be ideal for some things, I thought it built up a little too much for use on a checkered grip. By itself, the poly stuff will not do much to improve the appearance of the wood's figuring - you would need to use a stain first (one that is compatible with the brand and formulation of poly that you choose).

Old Fuff
May 25, 2004, 12:02 AM
To avoid clogging checkering keep an old toothbrush handy. After applying a LIGHT COAT of finish scrub out the access with the brush. Two, or perhaps three light coats will do for the checkered areas. You can clean the toothbrush with what ever solvent the finish maker recommends.

Hal
May 25, 2004, 06:57 AM
Poly = too high a film build.
Tung oil = better chance you'll end up with a finish you'll be proud of.

Hal <- who spent from 1966 through 1987 selling paints/coatings from latex wall paint through moisture cured urethane commercial coatings and everything in between.

Shmackey
May 25, 2004, 09:57 AM
I used polyacrylic on a table. Terrible results.

I would definitely keep it away from checkered grips. As noted above, too much buildup.

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone ever try water based "polyacrylic" on a set of grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!