PDA

BerettaNut92
February 10, 2003, 09:17 PM
Pre-War Martin D-28 Herringbone -- M1 Garand
Fender Stratocaster -- AR15
Harmonica -- Colt Peacemaker
Bagpipes -- Enfield
Mandolin -- Italian Beretta 92 Inox
5-Strang Banjer -- Barrett M82A1. HEAVY, LOUD AND ALL AMERICAN!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm & Musical Instrument Combos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ian
February 10, 2003, 09:39 PM
Well, I've got the bagpipes/Enfield one covered.

How about an Airsoft with a drum kit? 'Cuz the Airsoft isn't a real gun, and drummers aren't really musicians...:evil:

(I'm kidding! Really!)

hammer4nc
February 10, 2003, 09:53 PM
Bo diddley's rectangular gretch guitar:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/SNAMM99/Gretsch/Bo-Diddley.jpg

Glock pistol, this one fittingly a training gun in red:
http://www.dragnet714.com/images/Redgun_9mm_Glock%20.jpg

Same design philosophy, yet both quite attractive to a certain segment of the market :D

Navy joe
February 10, 2003, 09:56 PM
A Kazoo with a FAMAS, or Mas 49? Don't matter cause you're only gonna use it once then throw it away. :D

A flute and a Hi-point? 'Cause unless you're Jethro Tull it just ain't cool.

Bagpipes? Music? Brought to you by people that think golf is a game, haggis is food, sheep are your friends, and men in skirts are cool. I don't know what comes out of a bagpipe, but it ain't music.

AR-10
February 10, 2003, 10:30 PM
This thread is very disturbing.

Stephen Ewing
February 10, 2003, 10:56 PM
Navy Joe, I'm begging you, please tell me you don't think golf is a sport?

Steve

Frank Jones
February 10, 2003, 11:47 PM
Steinberger -- Glock

(both are made of synthetics and both have seemingly important stuff missing, but work fine)

KarlG
February 11, 2003, 12:03 AM
But I like it.

My son has an Elmo guitar and rubber band handgun.

I have a Taylor guitar and a Beretta handgun.

Azrael256
February 11, 2003, 12:05 AM
Martin Sigma DR-28, S&W M36 in my boot. This combo actually happens when I play a show :)

10-Ring
February 11, 2003, 12:07 AM
My son has an Epiphone electric & it's his baby. Mine would be my hard chromed P7M8

BerettaNut92
February 11, 2003, 12:36 AM
I've actually thought about buying a Garand for the purpose of matching it with my guitar...seriously!

Goldendog
February 11, 2003, 12:52 AM
I have seen the Steinberger-Glock comparison before. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

If I were to compare a Glock to a guitar, it would be the Fender Telecaster. No fancy schmancy doo-dads on either. Just the best tool for the job

cratz2
February 11, 2003, 02:18 AM
Basic PRS and a Rock River Elite Commando.

Nothing too fancy, just perfection! :D

Pat Bateman
February 11, 2003, 06:39 AM
Selmer Mark VI tenor, and Colt Gold Cup.

MonkeyMan
February 11, 2003, 07:25 AM
How about:

a 59 Fender Strat (with the obligatory blackface twin) and a S&W M19,

or

a black Fender Jazz bass (with the obligatory Ampeg SVT) and an Ithaca 37?

You go Skunk, I love your threads.

NewShooter78
February 11, 2003, 09:58 AM
If I were going to match a Garand to a guitar it would have to be either a Gibson J200, or a big Taylor acoustic, Skunk.

My combo is a Gibson Gothic SG and a SigPro 2340.
My backup combo would be my Peavy T-60 and Mossberg 590.
My dad's combo is a Fender Nashville Telecaster and an old S&W 10-5.

cuchulainn
February 11, 2003, 10:34 AM
Bagpipes? Music? Brought to you by people that think golf is a game, haggis is food, sheep are your friends, and men in skirts are cool. I don't know what comes out of a bagpipe, but it ain't music.

Actually, the Irish invented the bagpipe and gave it to the Scots, who still haven't figured out that it was a practical joke. ;)
-- Tommy Makem (paraphrased because I can't find the actual quote)

NewShooter78
February 11, 2003, 11:06 AM

Now don't go knocking the Scots. I enjoy golf, wool is a great thing, and don't knock wearing a kilt until you've tried it. :evil: But be ready to defend yourself if you go out drinking with one on in certain parts of the country.

NewShooter78
February 11, 2003, 11:13 AM
5-Strang Banjer -- Barrett M82A1. HEAVY, LOUD AND ALL AMERICAN!!!!!

The banjo is actually an instrument who's roots are in Africa. Its a derivative of an African instrument and the banjo first became a popular instrument durring the early beginings of jazz in this country with black musicians. It only gained its popularity with rurual whites after the civil war, because of the troops exposure to it from slaves who had built crude versions of the modern version.

Ian
February 11, 2003, 11:43 AM
I don't know what comes out of a bagpipe, but it ain't music.

Want to come say that in person?:fire: Not all of us are the talentless wannabes who give the instrument a bad rep.

bogie
February 11, 2003, 11:56 AM
Heh, heh... Violin and Thompson...

Hemicuda
February 11, 2003, 12:37 PM
My Fender Telecaster Bass, and my Dan Wesson 25-2HV

my custom Fender Strat Bass and my custom .243 Win, built off a Mauser action, both in figured maple wood!

braindead0
February 11, 2003, 01:36 PM
Uillean pipes and a Mateba

BerettaNut92
February 11, 2003, 01:48 PM
NewShooter78 If I were going to match a Garand to a guitar it would have to be either a Gibson J200, or a big Taylor acoustic, Skunk.

Taylor hasn't been around long enough (?). The Martin D-28 is the quintessential country guitar, and the most sought after are the pre-war herringbones, at least in country circles.

I think it's a lot like the Garand that people have gone onto other things that are smaller, lighter, tacticaller, electric, trendy, and have all sorts of goofy accessories (plug a guitar in a socket? WHAAAT??? :D) etc., but the trusty 1930-1940s era American oldies can hold their own and still pack a punch.

Showoff time
http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/skunk_records_copy.jpg

4v50 Gary
February 11, 2003, 01:53 PM
Banjos & iron mounted Southern rifle.

Boats
February 11, 2003, 02:02 PM
Glocks and a French horn, surrender never sounded so brassy:evil:

Frank Jones
February 11, 2003, 02:31 PM
I like Steinbergers and Glocks. I actually think the Steinberger and the Telecaster have a lot in common, especially in their design philosophies.

I might say that Telecaster -- 1911.

Leo Fender is the JMB of guitar design (though the comparision might hold up better if JMB hadn't known how to shoot...)

LiquidTension
February 11, 2003, 02:33 PM
AK47 and a drum kit. Even when neglected, they both still work.

Steinway grand piano and....Caspian 1911 maybe?

- LT

Smoke
February 11, 2003, 02:39 PM
I have all the musical ability of a Hadite Block.

But I think a .45acp makes some pretty nice music.

Ledbetter
February 11, 2003, 02:47 PM
I am required to carry a 2" barrel .38 Special crossdraw in my front waistband at all times, The smaller the better. Also, not a Colt or S&W. Preferably one from Roscoe Arms.

Soap
February 11, 2003, 02:55 PM
I own a PRS Custom 22, Taylor 514 w/ LR Baggs Dual Source, Fender Mexican made Strat, and some other goodies. But to pair them up with firearms...why? I guess I just don't see the relationship except with historical instruments and historical weaponry.

Fed168
February 11, 2003, 04:30 PM
I was thinking a bugle and the FAMAS.
Les Paul- a Model 10
Explorer and Flying V- 1911s

Bainx
February 11, 2003, 06:19 PM
Rickenbacker 325V63 and Glock 30

NewShooter78
February 11, 2003, 06:25 PM
Leo Fender is the JMB of guitar design (though the comparision might hold up better if JMB hadn't known how to shoot...)

No way...Les Paul (the actual man) would be a better comparison to JMB!

makdaddy03
February 11, 2003, 11:40 PM
God, Guitars and Guns the 3 Gs that make America Great!

Carlos
February 12, 2003, 01:09 AM
Skunk, you Da Man. I'm a Fender fan, and owner, myself.

My dream matchup would be:

Joe Satriani Ibanez Chromeboy and an SA58 308 in Woodland. That's a good comparison ;)

Yup, we're talking about double humbuckers and the double Fender pickup.

... coupled with a Marshall, stack with all the goodies. Ahh, Heaven.

:) I play rock, dabble with Jazz and want to get into Classical guitar eventually, for when I'm an old man. :) The right instrument, like the right gun, makes all the difference in the World. I'm just a non-pro though. I know I'm good enough for a band, but basically a really good Rhythm guitarist. It took two decades to get here.

When I'm Reincarnated, I'll be a Black 7' Tall Buddy Guy/Hendrix/Santriani type blues player.

Music and Guns, and friends and family. Those are my major hobbies.

Music keeps this guy sane.

Shooting at "The Dump" on Sundays does too.

Great thread Skunk.

makdaddy03
February 12, 2003, 02:02 AM
Love those Ibanez guitars.:cool:

Carlos
February 12, 2003, 02:11 AM
They are the best sounding guitars I've heard, coupled with appropriate Marshall sound, with Boss boxes, etc.

But, I'm old school.

Like my parents had to ensure Hendrix, some music I hear nowadays makes me want to puke.

I can outplay everyone of these thrash dudes, If I had to.

... I mean the economy is tight. ;) Might get myself hired in one of these bands.

tex_n_cal
February 12, 2003, 02:44 AM
Lessee...I think I'd really like someone to e-mail this thread to Ted Nugent and get his opinion.:D

4570Rick
February 12, 2003, 02:54 AM
Pre 70's Gretch White Falcon = 69 1/2 Z28 Phase III Camero:D

Carlos
February 12, 2003, 02:56 AM
Can't compare the Guitars We're Talkin About Against Those Hollow-bodied Ted Nugent Guitars.

That's a different thread argument.

We're only comparing guns against weapons here.

So, let's see.

Ted's Guitar = 700PSS with NightScope

Schuey2002
February 12, 2003, 04:01 AM
Good thread, Skunk.
When doesn't he?! LOL!:evil:

eoR
February 12, 2003, 04:44 AM
From The Monsters (http://www.blackmask.com/books22c/monstersdex.htm) by Kenneth Robeson - A Doc Savage Novel

For Skunk...

"The bag yielded a banjo. The round body and the neckpiece of the musical instrument were in separate sections which clamped together. The banjo actually held an ingenious, silenced gun, which could be fired simply by plucking one of the banjo strings.

One who knew how could aim this unusual weapon with accuracy, without seeming to do so."

"An elevator door down the corridor opened. A man popped out He had a black mustache, dark hair, and carried a banjo. He raised the banjo to the level of his eyes and gave one of the strings a forcible pluck.

"There was a chunging sound -- it might have been a man emitting one harsh cough. A tongue of flame leaped from an almost indistinguishable round hole in the side of the banjo. "

Kahr carrier
February 12, 2003, 07:22 AM
Violin and a Thompson.:)

RandyC
February 12, 2003, 11:29 AM
Always thought accordions and sledge hammers went together pretty well.:D

Soap
February 12, 2003, 01:54 PM
I play rock, dabble with Jazz and want to get into Classical guitar eventually, for when I'm an old man.

Old man!? I intensively studied classical from age 14-age 18. Trust me, it will make ALL of your playing better.

BerettaNut92
February 12, 2003, 02:36 PM
Classical is always a good place to start. Get the discipline while you're young, but don't let reading music run your life like it did for my first three years of banjo.

I teach guitar the same way I teach shooting. Slow down to go faster. Don't go fast. Fast is smooth.

Only principle that doens't apply is 'buy the biggest you can play well then buy a spare' ;)

Steve Smith
February 12, 2003, 04:58 PM
Skunk...as a fellow Bluegrass man, I'm somewhat shocked by your mandolin/Beretta connetion. You and I both know how that instrument is SUPPOSED to be played, and it don't sound Italian.

BerettaNut92
February 12, 2003, 05:17 PM
Steve, actually I was thinking of those European bowl back mandolins.

Cultural diversity:

Chinese banjo picker from the LA suburbs goes to a hole in the wall guitar shop in the valley.

Mexican guy comes in with one of those Mexican six string bass guitars.

Russian immigrant comes in with his bowl-back mandolin. Doesn't know a thing about Bluegrass, doesn't know any of the songs, just likes playing the mandolin and had no one to play with so he joined us salty dogs. Playing Bill Monroe with a Russian flavor. Pretty interesting.

I still haven't heard back on that carbon fiber banjo though :(

Yohan
February 12, 2003, 05:28 PM
http://www.showcasemusicandsound.com/vintage/rickenbacker.JPGhttp://www.amyboyer.org/glock.gif
Rickenbacker and Glocks- both ugly, over rated, and generally crappy.

http://www.music-paradise.com/images/stratocaster_55.jpghttp://www.sightm1911.com/1911pix/historic/1905%20Colt%20.45%20ACP.gif
1911 and Fenders- both great looking and awesome. :)

enichols
February 12, 2003, 09:00 PM
I'd probably have to say a Steinway D concert grand and a Mauser 98. Beautiful, classic and elegant.

Flying V
February 13, 2003, 12:19 AM
Gibson solidbodies = revolvers
Les Paul - S&W M27
SG - S&W M19
Flying V - S&W M29
Explorer - S&W M57

Fenders = autoloaders.
Telecaster - 1911
Stratocaster - Hi-Power
Precision Bass - BAR
Jazz Bass - Ma Deuce

twoblink
February 13, 2003, 12:32 AM
Violin with a wooden stock, M1A with a wooden stock. Imagine that!

Calanctus
February 13, 2003, 12:01 PM
This whole thread is reminding me of the Buckaroo Banzai movie about the surgeon/rockstar/physicist/samurai/etc. hero. I believe he carried a Fender Stratocaster and Colt Navy revolvers, and the rest of the band had their own assortment of instruments/weapons. Weird, but fun.

NewShooter78
February 13, 2003, 01:01 PM
Flying V
Jazz Bass - Ma Deuce

So what would a 5-string jazz bass equal? That's what I got. Keep it tuned a bit low as well. :evil:

Flying V
February 13, 2003, 01:25 PM
So what would a 5-string jazz bass equal? That's what I got. Keep it tuned a bit low as well.

On further thought...
J bass = M1919 air-cooled .30-06
5 string J = Ma Deuce.
Keeping with the Fender = JMB designs.

Bainx
February 13, 2003, 07:44 PM
You obviously don't know fine guitars, son.
Rickenbackers are hand made in USA.
Fender Stratoblasters are made with cheap labor in Mexico.
One has great tone qualities.
One sounds twangy.
One is played by refined guitarists
and the other is played by rednecks!

Take it or leave it from a veteran of over 30 years at this.
And yes, I have a Les Paul Custom, vintage 1972.
It WILL blow away any piece of junk you can muster thru the same amplifier.
You can touch me now!

As for the guns....
One is ready to shoot out of the box.
The other [1911] goes straight to the gunsmith for a trigger job, a sight replacement, etc, etc....

Now, run along like a good little wannabe

Soap
February 13, 2003, 08:27 PM
Sorry Bainx but I'm gonna have to go with Yohan. I think the Rickenbacks feel shoddy and sound horrible. YMMV of course.

Bainx
February 13, 2003, 08:29 PM
So Daniel tell me, you have actually held and played a Rick 360, 330, 325 as played by The Beatles? Thru a Vox AC30?

Tell me The Beatles, The Kinks, The Yardbirds, The Who, did not know good guitars.

BerettaNut92
February 13, 2003, 08:41 PM
C'mon guys, play nice!

OTOH Gaston Glock never claimed to be bigger than Jesus! :eek:

Soap
February 13, 2003, 10:14 PM
Bainx- Funny you should ask...I've played a Rickenbacker 330 through a Vox 30 (and through a Mesa half stack). But this was a newer RIC 330 through an older Vox. So the older 330s may sound better. I got the opportunity to try a ton of guitars when I used to work as a technician in a guitar shop. Lighten up about other people's choices. What guitar/gun/shoe/etc. fits Bainx may not fit Dan or may not fit Yohan. There is no magic sword, nor is there a magic guitar. Each person will evaluate each tool differently. My evaluation of the Rickenbacker just happens to be poor. You think they're great. Cool. Let's jam! :)

Frank Jones
February 13, 2003, 10:26 PM
Ah ah, Bainx, not all Strats are made in Mexico. My American Standard was made in the USA. I do love Ricks, though, and would like to own a 4001 bass some day.

You know, in the last 10 years, I've seen some truly astonishing developments in guitar equipment: the Parker Fly, the Martin Backpacker, advances in solid state amplifiers, digital effects pedals...but when it comes to guns, new technology isn't being applied as quickly.

70 years ago, that wasn't the case at all; inventors in both fields were right on the cutting edge.

What happened? I guess it helps that anyone can build a guitar in their basement without worrying about someone kicking their door in.

Yohan
February 13, 2003, 11:30 PM
Hey Yohan....
You obviously don't know fine guitars, son.

Fine guitars? I know what sounds good and looks good- that's good enough for me, isn't it good enough for you?

Rickenbackers are hand made in USA.

A lot of things are hand made in the USA

Fender Stratoblasters are made with cheap labor in Mexico.
Not the vintage ones- Unlike your USA made Rickenbackers, there is a huge range of Stratocasters to choose from. Variety- ever heard of that?

One has great tone qualities.

Yep- three single coil pickups, which give off a range of sound from a twangy tone to a beautiful deep tone

One sounds twangy.

Only when you want it to sound twangy
One is played by refined guitarists
and the other is played by rednecks!

Does your list include Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Beck?

Take it or leave it from a veteran of over 30 years at this.

I choose to leave it
And yes, I have a Les Paul Custom, vintage 1972.
Who asked?
It WILL blow away any piece of junk you can muster thru the same amplifier.
Especially the Rickenbacker if I had one
You can touch me now!
I'll pass

As for the guns....
One is ready to shoot out of the box.
And ugly- extremely ugly
The other [1911] goes straight to the gunsmith for a trigger job, a sight replacement, etc, etc....
So, the GI's had time to send in their government issue 1911's to the gunsmith?

Now, run along like a good little wannabe
Kiss my butt
http://www.funsilly.com/images/AN032.gif
If you would like to PM me and discuss in more detail, please feel free.

Oh and one more thing-
Glocks lack variety- look at Glock 17s,27s,33s,55s,14s,25s- Whatever, they all look the same. Could you distinguish one Glock 17 from another?

1911's can be customized to fit the shooter's needs. Oh yeah -because conforming is the way to go :banghead: :evil: :neener:

Express your opinions, but if you try to tell me that mine are wrong, I won't hide the way I feel about you. Let's end this flaming war here and now. Bainx sir, feel free to PM me to continue discussion.

http://ci.golden.co.us/dept/fire/17.jpg

Frankly 45
February 14, 2003, 08:39 AM
Over the years working part time in
bands I've owned and used a Gretch
Tennessean, Gibson SG, Les Paul Custom, Fender Telecaster, Fender
Stratocaster, Ibanez Double Neck, and finally ended up with a 1962 Gibson Melody Maker which I refinished and modified with 2 dual coil Humbucker
pickups(about 20 yrs ago). It fits me the best, it's small, handles quickly and packs a punch!
Similar experience with handguns; after shooting as many as I could, Beretta, HK, Glock, Sig, Ruger, Kahr,
S&W, BHP, Springfield, my favorite
carry is a Colt 1991 A1 Compact, lightly
customized by the Colt Custom Shop,
(Novak style sight, beavertail grip safety, Videcki style trigger, matte finish w/ Royal Blue finish on the sides, bushing , slide stop, and thumb safety, and bead blasted SS barrel). It fits me the best, it's small, handles quickly and packs a punch!!
So much for AMERICAN guns and guitars!
Chevy Trucks anyone?:D

deputy tom
February 14, 2003, 09:17 AM
Bagpipes and a Seecamp in Your sporran.

Otherwise what Ian said.

I was going to get into the "Bagpipes not music" debate but I just finished reading the "expressing Yourself obscenely" sticky above this thread and am going to decline to avoid Moderator problems.tom.:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm & Musical Instrument Combos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!