FN/Browning HP in 10MM? Why not?

PDA

Josey
May 25, 2004, 10:56 PM
IIRC, BHPs are/were available in 9MM, 30 Luger and 40 S&W. Why is there not a 10MM BHP on the upsized 40 S&W platform?

If you enjoyed reading about "FN/Browning HP in 10MM? Why not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stephen A. Camp
May 25, 2004, 11:14 PM
Hello. The cartridge is too long for the grip dimensions of the Hi Power as it exists now. The frames for the forty and 9mm are the same exterior sizes. A Hi Power-type handgun could be made to accomodate the 10mm I suspect, but the existing one's grip area is too petite.

Best.

Marshall
May 25, 2004, 11:39 PM
Josey,

Being a Browning enthusiast and amateur collector of many of their firearms, I have noticed they are a fairly traditional, old school yet classy company. It took them forever to offer a synthetic shotgun instead of wood and that's probably Winchesters doing. They don't offer a "home defense" shotgun either. A big move for Browning was switching away from the '81 style stock on the BLR and back again. LOL How long did they go before offering a semi-auto shotgun that wasn't an A-5? Too bad they don't offer them anymore. :(

A better question is, why don't they offer a 1911? Why don't they offer smaller pistols than the BHP? Don't say the BDA is one, they don't make it anymore, LOL. I would like to see them in the revolver market myself. A Browning blued line of revolvers would make my day! Frankly, I was shocked when they came out with the .40 caliber in the BHP.

I think they're fat and happy. They make a ton of money off their shotguns, rifles, Buckmarks, Browning gear and clothing that they don't have to have a ton of offerings in the centerfire handgun market.

I love seeing companies like CZ doing so well with their pistols. Hopefully it will make Browning get off their laurels and do what they are capable of doing in this area of handguns. I'm not holding my breath though because, the BHP's sell as they are! I do think they owe the very product that propelled them into what they are today, higher attention.

;)

Josey
May 26, 2004, 02:56 AM
I understand the frame/grip issue but, it would not be a doublestack in 10 MM anyway. I took that as a given. The required upsizing could be easily done. I still wonder if there is a future for 10 MM? There are few platforms for it. The caliber would see sales rise if Browning, CZ, Kel-Tec and Taurus made more 10 MM platforms. I would like for Marlin to make a 10 MM Camp rifle. Ruger could make a 10 MM P-90 and a PC-10 carbine. There is a need but, there is little demand.:confused:

Croyance
May 26, 2004, 03:47 AM
It is not a single stack/double stack issue. The grip would have to be redesigned to accomadate the longer OAL of the 10 mm. The trigger would be forward of its present location to allow proper feeding. The chamber would have to be enlarged, and the slide made much stronger. After all, what is the point of a down powered 10 mm? (Although the FBI thought their was a point).
When your changes are made, you no longer have a HiPower. Not really.

I like the 10 mm and if I had the free cash, I would get one. I do believe a Kel-Tec platform would be uncomfortable, if nothing else.

Though CZ does not make a 10 mm, the EAA Witness has a 10 mm model. Caveat Emptor. At least it is on a CZ styled frame.

I don't think gun manufacterers care about the fate of individual calibers, so the only incentive to them is economic.

That said, I like most of the platforms that the 10 mm is availible in. I would like a H&K USP Compact framed 10 mm and a better CZ-75 style 10 mm than the Witness. That said, I would probably choose a 1911, perhaps a Dan Wesson.

Sean Smith
May 26, 2004, 08:41 AM
The grip and magazines are too short front-to-back to fit the 10mm cartridge, as has been noted.

There is a need but, there is little demand.

Actually, I think this is a case where the manufacturers are well behind the market's demand.

Badger Arms
May 26, 2004, 12:47 PM
The demand for the 10mm is overplayed. There is a Demand for the Delta Elite, but a 10mm Glock or Witness generally gathers dust while its 45 and 40 caliber friends come and go.

Bartholomew Roberts
May 26, 2004, 05:39 PM
Seems like a lot of engineering and development work to come up with a gun that won't be much different from a single stack 1911 in 10mm (except for a mag disconnect and a trigger that isn't quite as good).

Majic
May 27, 2004, 01:17 AM
There are always those who choose to kill off the 10mm just like the .41mag, but a good cartridge just refuses to die. The 10mm has been slowly gathering steam in the last few years.
As noted by others, there would be too much redesigning of the BHP to make the 10mm fit and you would end up with a different pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "FN/Browning HP in 10MM? Why not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!